O's consider Matsuzaka

Skywalker76

From the Sun:

However, the pitcher's price tag - the cost to earn just the right to negotiate with Matsuzaka could be more than $30 million - has certainly made the Orioles' decision whether to get involved in the process a difficult one.

"We are considering putting in a bid," said executive vice president Mike Flanagan, declining to offer any more details.

The Orioles likely will have a few days to make a decision, though even if they bid for Matsuzaka, they are an extreme long shot to land him. It is expected that Matsuzaka's total cost, with the negotiating-rights price and then his multi-year deal, could be more than $70 million.

I don't believe a word and the O's would be stupid to waist $30 million as this kid is never ever even going to consider coming to Baltimore. Seems like one of these "see, we tried" stuff.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Matsuzaka..... Orioles ........ Hahahahaha.

Don't belong in the same sentence.

How do Flanagan's comments coordinate with 'we will not go over $10M/yr for a pitcher'?

More interesting still. If the O's are going to make offers to big name FA's, will they offer 6/78 to Lee?

I have to wonder what the point of this article is, given the fact it states more than once that the Orioles are a major long shot to land him. Heck, it even states that the team doesn't intend to spend the money this pitcher is likely to command. It's almost like me sending an email to my group at work, indicating I might be out of the office tomorrow, despite the fact that all signs point to me actually being here.

WADR, who is Flanagan trying to kid? Does he think by putting out possible interest he's driving up the price for Steinbrenner? Is he trying to sell it to the fanbase? His boss called Oswalt's deal "lunacy." There is no way Angelos is going to sign off on a pitcher with the price tag that Boras will want. Any offer by the Orioles to win the bidding process will fall short. The Orioles can stare at their shoes, shrug their shoulders, and say, "well, we tried," which they hope will appease the local fans.

I don't believe a word and the O's would be stupid to waist $30 million as this kid is never ever even going to consider coming to Baltimore. Seems like one of these "see, we tried" stuff.

The Orioles won't waste 30 million if they can't sign him - the posting fee is returned to them if they can't reach a contract and Matsuzaka would return to Japan for one more season.

The Orioles won't waste 30 million if they can't sign him - the posting fee is returned to them if they can't reach a contract and Matsuzaka would return to Japan for one more season.
A team like the Orioles could put in a high bid, without ever intending to actually sign Matsuzaka, in order to block the Yankees from getting him for at least a year. Boras will cry foul, but it would be a he said - he said in the newspapers.

The "process"

Once Matsuzaka is posted, and MLB is notified, teams have only four days to submit their bids, and the highest one - without the team identified - is turned over to the Lions. At that point, Seibu has four days to accept it, and only then is the team revealed. Then the club has 30 days to get a contract done, and if that doesn't happen, Matsuzaka would return to Seibu and the posting fee is refunded.
Source -Newsday

The O's need to play this game better. Bids are supposed to be secret. So far we hear that the Mariners are likely to only make a token bid. The Yankees could end up getting him for much cheaper than expected. The O's need to start a whispering campaign about being willing to bid over $30m in order to get the NYY to vastly overpay. I know it won't make a difference in their budget, by why make it cheap for 'em?

The O's need to play this game better. Bids are supposed to be secret. So far we hear that the Mariners are likely to only make a token bid. The Yankees could end up getting him for much cheaper than expected. The O's need to start a whispering campaign about being willing to bid over $30m in order to get the NYY to vastly overpay. I know it won't make a difference in their budget, by why make it cheap for 'em?

The Orioles need to bid $30 million for him. If he isn't willing to sign with the Orioles for a 'reasonable' contract averaging around 12 million a year, then to hell with him, let him pitch in AAAA Japanese ball for another year, but this won't happen. He won't go back, why would he turn down that kind of cash and risk a career ending injury? If he does make that kind of stupid decision, then at least the Yankees don't have him next year.

It is like Terrance Morris after his Sophomore year at Maryland. He was projected to a lottery pick in the NBA essentially guaranteeing him a $10 million signing bonus and multi year multi million dollar contract. He decided to return to Maryland where he struggled without Steve Francis at his side. He dropped all the way to the 2nd round and lost something like $20 million dollars!

Matsuzaka will not make the same mistake, he has to take the money when it is available or risk never getting it.

The Orioles need to bid $30 million for him. If he isn't willing to sign with the Orioles for a 'reasonable' contract averaging around 12 million a year, then to hell with him, let him pitch in AAAA Japanese ball for another year, but this won't happen. He won't go back, why would he turn down that kind of cash and risk a career ending injury? If he does make that kind of stupid decision, then at least the Yankees don't have him next year.

I can't imagine that he's good enough to justify a $66m commitment or $22m a year over the next 3.

Matsuzaka..... Orioles ........ Hahahahaha.

Don't belong in the same sentence.

How do Flanagan's comments coordinate with 'we will not go over $10M/yr for a pitcher'?

More interesting still. If the O's are going to make offers to big name FA's, will they offer 6/78 to Lee?

This is an example of how things take on a life of their own here and few people seem to read carefully. No FO official is on record as saying there is a $10mil. limit on SP. The figure comes from a post by Bigbird. Angelos has said the Oswalt signing money is lunacy but that figure is cosiderably more than $10mil.

Archived