Jason Hammel Today, 2013

OFFNY

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't know why he's having so much trouble keeping the FB down. The 2 seamer is non-existent because he has no command of anything. Every pitch is up in the zone. Nothing has movement, unlike last year. Just a completely different pitcher. If it's the knee, then put him on the DL because he's killing us.

Last year was the first year (out of 7...6 "full") that JH posted an ERA+ above 109 (and the second he'd posted one above 100), and the first time his ERA was below 4.33.

Since he's now thrown close to a third of the games he's going to get this year...unfortunately, I'm thinking that the lightning might've escaped the bottle.

Tommy Hunter to the rotation, Brian Matusz to the rotation. Hammel to the DL, and a rehab with Peterson and Griffin.

Sent from my SPH-M950 using Tapatalk 2

Ummm no?

As bad as Hammel has struggled I have no need to see Hunter in the rotation again IMO. Beyond that Hammel is not some rookie that you send to work with Peterson and Griffin.

Tommy Hunter to the rotation, Brian Matusz to the rotation. Hammel to the DL, and a rehab with Peterson and Griffin.

Sent from my SPH-M950 using Tapatalk 2

And when Hunter gives you 3 innings and Matusz gives you 2.2, the bullpen won't even be able to pitch if a starter does well.

What did they do to his knee in spring training. The control issues, and the ball being up in the zone has went back to spring training, and almost seems like mechanical. It would be funny if it were the reverse. What if his knee injury last year led to a change in mechanics that made his command better than ever. Now his knee feels normal again, and it is back to old Jason.

Probably just a theory....went to the game last night by the way.

I think Hammel's success last year had a lot to do with injury. The knee probably didn't allow him to overthrow or made him get on top of the all more or something like that. Either way I new he didn't have it in the 1st inning last night by watching.

JASON HAMMEL O (vs. YANKEES, 5/22)

IP:. 6.67

H:o 6

R:O 2

BB: 2

SO: 6

Pitches: 109 (75 Strikes, 34 Balls)

2012 ERA: 5.37

PITCHES BY INNINGS

15 (10 Strikes)

20 (15 Strikes)

21 (14 Strikes)

17 (10 Strikes)

18 (11 Strikes)

71 (61 Strikes)

11 (91 Strikes) *

* Hammel retired 2 batters in the 7th inning before departing.

Hammel threw first-pitch strikes to 25 out of the 32 batters that he has faced.

He started out throwing first-pitch strikes to 19 out of the first 20 that he faced, then faded to 6 out of the final 12 after that.

JASON HAMMEL O (vs. NATIONALS, 5/27)

IP:. 8

H:o 8

R:O 2

BB: 0

SO: 8

Pitches: 107 (77 Strikes, 30 Balls)

2013 ERA: 4.98

PITCHES BY INNINGS

11 (91 Strikes)

10 (91 Strikes)

11 (71 Strikes)

12 (91 Strikes)

91 (71 Strikes)

23 (16 Strikes)

15 (91 Strikes)

16 (11 Strikes)

What a start. Almost wish he went back out for the 9th.

I'm a nerd and I like to obsess over Fangraphs' real-time WAR updates. Hammel today was worth 0.7, which I think is the highest we've had this year. Single game WAR for pitchers rarely goes higher than that.

What a champ he was today. His stuff wasn't all there and he battled and only gave up a couple of runs in a game where we needed him to go as far as he could. 107 pitches is great, he really got a lot done with a little today. Impressive, impressive start. Our bullpen is spennnnttt.

Archived