Jim Johnson Today, 2013

OFFNY

• Replies 997
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think I would consider Hunter better anymore. But KRod should be the closer now.

Have to disagree on Hunter. You're letting a few recent rough outings jade your view of Hunter. 2.89 ERA and 0.98 WHIP for the year. That's elite. He's pitched better than JJ over the course of the entire season, while Johnson has blown devastating saves all year since May that are going to cost us our season. Buck does not understand how to leverage his very good pen because he sticks with guys in roles for way too long and doesn't understand how to adjust to poor performance (case in point J.J. Hardy remaining in the 2 hole all year last season).

Either way, I do agree that K-Rod is the best candidate. But Buck is too stubborn and not sharp enough to make the change.

I really don't think you can make that argument. O'Day and Hunter have been significantly better relievers this season, and K-Rod has a better track record.

I think you can make an argument based on durability and platoon splits that he's a better candidate than O'day. Hunter may be close but he hasn't exactly been been very good of late and is more susceptible to the long ball. Krod just got here and looks like he's just getting on track, so we'll see there.

I dont understand how people continue to defend Johnson. They cherry-pick stats all the time and create arbitrary time-periods for johnson etc. "Oh hes pitched SO WELL the last 3 games he will be fine for the rest of the season"

Johnson averages like 16-17 pitches an inning. That is more than Mariano Rivera.

The difference between Johnson and Rivera is, Rivera gets alot more strikeouts, and thus will have a higher pitch count. Johnson pitches to contact, a high pitch count with a contact pitcher is NOT a good thing

Have to disagree on Hunter. You're letting a few recent rough outings jade your view of Hunter. 2.89 ERA and 0.98 WHIP for the year. That's elite. He's pitched better than JJ over the course of the entire season, while Johnson has blown devastating saves all year since early May that are going to cost us our season. Buck does not understand how to leverage his very good pen because he sticks with guys in roles for way too long and doesn't understand how to adjust to poor performance (case in point J.J. Hardy remaining in the 2 hole all year last season).

Either way, I do agree that K-Rod is the best candidate. But Buck is too stubborn and not sharp enough to make the change.

Entrusting a homer prone reliever to be a closer isn't a wholly viable alternative.

For Buck, tonight's blown save is a disaster. He needed to save the BP, and instead, now we have extra innings. It can be argued however, the reason it was a run one game is Buck leaving Gonzalez out there so long.

The problem with JJ is he is an average middle reliever or 5th starter. However because he is Buck's chosen closer, and the Orioles play so many close games, he racks up huge save numbers and looks like a rock star. Last year went good enough, but the playoffs, and this year have exposed him for what he is. He seems to do best with a two plus run lead, but with on run he is iffy as hell. On one hand, he leads the league in saves...and if you think that stat has value, you would keep running him out there. The flip side is, if he performed at near last years level, the team is in first place. His blown saves are killing any good karma the team has. I also am thinking pretty much any reliever the O's have could have the same success rate JJ is right now.

I dont understand how people continue to defend Johnson. They cherry-pick stats all the time and create arbitrary time-periods for johnson etc. "Oh hes pitched SO WELL the last 3 games he will be fine for the rest of the season"

Johnson averages like 16-17 pitches an inning. That is more than Mariano Rivera.

The difference between Johnson and Rivera is, Rivera gets alot more strikeouts, and thus will have a higher pitch count. Johnson pitches to contact, a high pitch count with a contact pitcher is NOT a good thing

You're really trying to use Mariano Rivera as the benchmark for Jim Johnson and any other closer? Please.

Entrusting a homer prone reliever to be a closer isn't a wholly viable alternative.

Trusting the major league leader in blown saves is much, much worse. K-Rod has been lights out this season and has about 4 times more experience closing games than Johnson. It's honestly incompetence if Buck continues to use Johnson as closer.

I think it's time to admit that JJ is what the peripherals say he is. An average relief pitcher with good durability. That's ok but it's not 8 mil closer money ok.

Archived