Jake Arrieta Today, 2013

OFFNY

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I see Jake as a "change of scenery" guy. He needs to get out of this organization.
Kind of agree. Would hate to see him be suddenly great upon leaving the organization, but it might be the only option left to revive his career. It seems that him winning the spot out of ST was the last big chance for Jake with the O's. He didn't even get into a game when they called him up as a reliever. Straight up AAAA.

I'm not much for charity. I am not interested in giving away his rights for free while he is still under team control.

I'm not much for charity. I am not interested in giving away his rights for free while he is still under team control.

Agree with you, and I wouldn't suggest giving him away. I was thinking maybe it could be a swap with another team with their own "Jake Arrieta".

I see Jake as a "change of scenery" guy. He needs to get out of this organization.

Exactly. When you got stuff that good and it's not working, a change of scenerey could do wonders.

Look at what it's done for Kevin Gregg. Hopefully we can trade Jake and get something decent in return. With Gausman now in the rotation for at least a few more starts and Chen coming off the dl at some point, Jake's chances of starting again are getting pretty small.

Interesting that the scout mentions nothing about his mechanics in there and is indicating it's all pretty much in Arrieta's head. On a side note, I also found it interesting that he thinks Snyder is a better defensive catcher than Teagarden and Teagarden is the better hitter.

What stuck out to me in the article was that the scout said Teagarden is better offensively than Chris Snyder but that Snyder is better defensively. I thought that was odd as my impression was just the opposite.

As for Arrieta, it's time for the bullpen before the change of scenery.

Yeah, not to get off track, but I thought that was pretty funny myself. He mentions Snyder's slider bat speed. What does he think Teagarden has?

I'm wondering if they should just have Arrieta pitch from the stretch like Tillman. Seemed to simplify things for Tillman with his mechanics.

Tillman doesn't pitch from the stretch but his windup is very similar to pitching from the stretch, if that's what you mean. Matusz just pitched from the stretch last year when he pitched in September and I was surprised to see him pitching out of the windup again this year. I believe Yu Darvish went to just pitching out of the stretch this year with great results. It can't hurt. I've suggested it previously with Arrieta. Really, just put him in the bullpen, have him pitch from the stretch, and tell him he can throw his fastball (2 and 4 seamer) and pick ONE other pitch to go with. I watched some of the Norfolk game. I know this has nothing to do with anything but I've always felt that Arrieta is more concerned with how good he looks in his uniform than anything else. The guy has great posture, is in great shape, and looks to really make sure that his uniform and hat are perfect.

OK, I'm sure you would know. Sure looks like a stretch delivery to me. In any event it's simple and has apparently helped his mechanics. I'm guessing there is a potential sacrafice in velocity there. Also agreed about Arrieta: Reliever, 2 pitches (FB/CB maybe CH in the back pocket) and stretch delivery.

Archived