Opportunity knocks for Ryan Flaherty

postal

I don't disagree with what you say here, but I'm guessing that Buck likes the way he plays second base. He has been very good at second.

I'd like to see Navarro given the chance as well, but I'm guessing his defense is less than stellar.

He would be a huge downgrade a 2B. If the Os want to go another route at 2B they will probably look to aquire someone. I don't think they can play all season long with a "next man up" apporach at 2B.

Get on the phone at start talking to Seattle.

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He would be a huge downgrade a 2B. If the Os want to go another route at 2B they will probably look to aquire someone. I don't think they can play all season long with a "next man up" apporach at 2B.

Get on the phone at start talking to Seattle.

Get the Mandino back.

In 2010, in his first season at AAA, Navarro had a .867 OPS in AAA and then put up a .317 OPS (though in SSS, 46 PA), and this is generally how it's gone for him; he has a .829 OPS (thus what he's doing at Norfolk right now is not so surprising) at the AAA level over 682 PAs (4 seasons), and has a .494 OPS over 168 PAs.

That is, so far he's just a AAA+ player who's skills haven't translated to the big leagues. To be fair, he's never been given an extended chance, 66 PAs where he OPSed .653, which looks pretty good compared to what Flaherty is doing.

However, the fact that he's OPSing .850+, based on his history, doesn't suggest it should give us any extra hurry to promote him. It's good but it's quite possible we promote him and he OPS's that same ~.650 at the ML level.

Again, let's give Flaherty a full chance. Time is running out on him to show some results, certainly, but there's definite upside with Flaherty, so it's worth running out the string. As I said a couple weeks ago if he's still not showing some results by the end of May then it's fair to move on (because, let's face it, if Flaherty doesn't make it with this chance it's unlikely he will here, given his age and given that even if he were to go down and do quite well at AAA it wouldn't make us feel that much more sure about his ability to hit at this level).

Isn't Andino starting at shortstop in Seattle?

Does seem like he's getting more time there. I've seen him play second, thirdand short at times. Mostly short and second. Not sure where he stands, but he and Ryan are both hitting awfully bad.

Depends on how much we are giving up with the glove. You do give up the glove for the bat if the glove's bat is hitting .125.

I tend to agree with this unless Navarro is just a complete butcher at second.

I'm wondering why Casilla hasn't been given more of an opportunity to play more. His lifetime splits are pretty equal, and at least he'd be some speed on the bases if he were on.

Depends on how much we are giving up with the glove. You do give up the glove for the bat if the glove's bat is hitting .125.

I don't see why we even need to look to AAA. Casilla is about the same glove while batting .80 points higher. Plus, hes a switch hitter so no worry about matchups.

In 2010, in his first season at AAA, Navarro had a .867 OPS in AAA and then put up a .317 OPS (though in SSS, 46 PA), and this is generally how it's gone for him; he has a .829 OPS (thus what he's doing at Norfolk right now is not so surprising) at the AAA level over 682 PAs (4 seasons), and has a .494 OPS over 168 PAs.

That is, so far he's just a AAA+ player who's skills haven't translated to the big leagues. To be fair, he's never been given an extended chance, 66 PAs where he OPSed .653, which looks pretty good compared to what Flaherty is doing.

However, the fact that he's OPSing .850+, based on his history, doesn't suggest it should give us any extra hurry to promote him. It's good but it's quite possible we promote him and he OPS's that same ~.650 at the ML level.

Again, let's give Flaherty a full chance. Time is running out on him to show some results, certainly, but there's definite upside with Flaherty, so it's worth running out the string. As I said a couple weeks ago if he's still not showing some results by the end of May then it's fair to move on (because, let's face it, if Flaherty doesn't make it with this chance it's unlikely he will here, given his age and given that even if he were to go down and do quite well at AAA it wouldn't make us feel that much more sure about his ability to hit at this level).

Yeah, depends how you look at things I guess. In addition to his ML failings, Navarro has also had considerably more development time at AA and AAA time than has Flaherty. You could say Flaherty developed late, but I think Flaherty was set back with injury and being a rule 5 guy last year. Even though Navarro looked ok to in ST, I guess there are questions about his defense. The only things worse than Flaherty would be a guy who can't hit and can't field.

Maybe we should just go with Casilla or get somebody else in trade at this point. Not sure I want to see another project with Navarro, and I agree time is running out on Flaherty to show something.

I would see no point in bringing up Navarro. Hes a bad fielder and who knows what you will get with his bat. He could easily be sub .200 hitter.

I would rather see what Seattle wants for Ackley.

I would see no point in bringing up Navarro. Hes a bad fielder and who knows what you will get with his bat. He could easily be sub .200 hitter.

I would rather see what Seattle wants for Ackley.

I don't know why you think Navarro is a bad fielder. And the evidence is pretty decent that he'll be a fairly good hitter. He certainly has a better track record in the high minors than Flaherty.

I think there's a better than even shot that he'll be more productive overall than Ackely, who's OPS'd about .600 over his last 700 MLB plate appearances. Navarro has the distinct advantage of costing the team nothing to acquire.

I see no reason why Navarro should be regarded as a bad fielder. He looked good to me in ST. On the other hand Flaherty has looked very good at 2B, particularly turning the DP. I see signs of Flaherty having better AB; the results aren't in yet but they may come. I don't see why Reimold gets such a huge pass. His AB look equally as bad and seem to be getting worse. And he contributes little with his glove. I don't think there is room for both in the lineup right now and if I had to choose I'd keep Flaherty in if only for his glove. Bring up Urrutia and DFA Dickerson if you must keep Reimold.

I see no reason why Navarro should be regarded as a bad fielder. He looked good to me in ST. On the other hand Flaherty has looked very good at 2B, particularly turning the DP. I see signs of Flaherty having better AB; the results aren't in yet but they may come. I don't see why Reimold gets such a huge pass. His AB look equally as bad and seem to be getting worse. And he contributes little with his glove. I don't think there is room for both in the lineup right now and if I had to choose I'd keep Flaherty in if only for his glove. Bring up Urrutia and DFA Dickerson if you must keep Reimold.

He did come pretty close to a 3-run homer tonight (at least it sounded that way based on Manfra's call which made it sound like a no doubter off the bat :)). Then in the bottom of the 8th (I saw this one) he scorched a ball and Elliot Johnson made a great play.

Hopefully he is starting to turn a corner.

At the end of ST or at least some time before Roberts went down, I made a comment in some thread that I thought Flaherty would take the starting job if/when Roberts got hurt and not relinquish it. Well, he certainly hasn't done anything close to that, although his defensive contributions can't be over looked. My next guess is that he would start hitting just before Roberts came back from the DL. Now it looks like Roberts isn't anywhere close to returning and Flaherty is going to get more time to try and show his worth offensively.

Again, hopefully he is starting to turn a corner. That being said if DD and Buck see fit to send Ryan down and call up Navarro, so be it.

Your idea about Urrutia eventually coming in and taking Dickerson's spot is intriguing. I love how he is mashing at Bowie. I don't want to get tooooo excited but, perhaps, if Betemit proves unable to overcome his knee injury maybe Urrutia becomes the LH DH?

Honestly 2B would not even be a major issue if we were getting any production out the DH spot. Most teams can point to one position in their lineup were they get less than desired offensive output. At least from a defensive standpoint these guys are getting it done for the most part.

In my opinion the bigger issue on this squad right now is the abysmal production at DH. Reimold occupies a role on this team were offensive output is the one thing you expect from him. He is not a defensive player, he is not young or inexperienced like Flaherty. His primary job is to get on base and put up offensive numbers. He has utterly failed in that regard. How long do you marvel at a guys potential who brings nothing statistically to the table on a consistent basis since 2009? Thank god McLouth is getting it done and healthy.

Archived