Opportunity knocks for Ryan Flaherty

postal

2012 was bad, but if you take his totals as an Oriole (counting 2011), both his avg and ops is better than Flaherty.

Flaherty strikes out as I was typing.

Seriously, I don't get it. Why do we keep trotting out Flaherty every day? While he isn't young, I do think he has some promise. He needs to iron out the kinks in Norfolk. Not in Baltimore. He's an out almost 80% of the time he steps up to the plate in the bigs. I know we don't have a whole lot of options, but there HAS to be someone in the scrap heap so to speak that would do better than Flaherty. Or Danny Valencia... who isn't MUCH better... but his numbers the last couple years would STILL be an improvement.

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont think he looks THAT bad, when he plays everyday. His defense has been solid. He is way better than Casilla with his wet newspaper bat and never runs balls out. At least Flaherty sqaures up on some pitches time to time. His strikeout on Saturday was bs, he checked his swing and missed a double by 1-2 feet down the line in the same AB. He isnt an everyday starting 2nd baseman, but doing the best he can. He looks like a streaky hitter. Now, Casilla is a waste of a roster spot.

A surprising .264 avg and ops above .600. for the O's. Avg is nearly 80 points higher than Flaherty.

I was at the Columbus game and Luis Hernandez was playing. I spoke to him for a second when he saw my O's hat. Thought the O's were a team on the upswing. Seemed like a nice guy. Was hitting well at the time but is down to .279 .

Scioscia did intentional walk Flaherty on Saturday. I guess that is why his job might be in jeopardy.

What the... I guess I missed that. Was Flaherty somehow batting in front of the pitcher? Was this some kind of a dare? Did Scioscia also call all the fielders into the dugout ala Satchel Paige?

What the... I guess I missed that. Was Flaherty somehow batting in front of the pitcher? Was this some kind of a dare? Did Scioscia also call all the fielders into the dugout ala Satchel Paige?

Snyder was on deck but got PH for by Weiters. I believe first base was open, but still not sure why you wouldn't pitch to Flaherty.

Archived