Jones Bases Loaded Drop

jabba72

I DVR all the games and today the broadcast began with a montage of the play from last night. Showing Jones going back on the ball. The bubble and the drop and then showing Jones coming in from the outfield and walking across the dugout then throwing his GUM away in a moment of disgust. The MASN voice over the said something like "and he would like to have that one back" and shows the gum being thrown. I have recorded it on a camera and when my wife wakes up (she knows how) I am going to link the ten second montage for all you people to see.

Because this seems like MASN was getting as close as you can if your job is on the line to potentially calling Jones out.

And you got to think the MASN crew are very aware of the insides of this team. But no one on Masn is going to say anything overtly negative.

She woke up early.

Now this is not definitive I admit but I do think it they are leading you to think a certain way when you watch it.

The montage starts with Jones gawing gum, then shows the error and bubble, then shows Jones throwing the Gum away in disgust. And watch Kirby after Jones throws the gum away. He claps.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I DVR all the games and today the broadcast began with a montage of the play from last night. Showing Jones going back on the ball. The bubble and the drop and then showing Jones coming in from the outfield and walking across the dugout then throwing his GUM away in a moment of disgust. The MASN voice over the said something like "and he would like to have that one back" and shows the gum being thrown. I have recorded it on a camera and when my wife wakes up (she knows how) I am going to link the ten second montage for all you people to see.

Because this seems like MASN was getting as close as you can if your job is on the line to potentially calling Jones out.

And you got to think the MASN crew are very aware of the insides of this team. But no one on Masn is going to say anything overtly negative.

Confirmation bias at its finest.

Now what I want to know is was Adam blowing bubbles at the same rate in 2008 as in 2010-2012 or has this rate gone up, perhaps due to an increased need to escape to the simpler days of childhood because of the increased chaotic life of a baseball star. Maybe Adam used a different brand of gum in 2008 and now uses a brand that pops a little louder than expected, thus causing him to be momentarily surprised. If we could somehow correlate the size, rate, consistency of bubble pops with Adam's error rates, then I think we might be on to something. lol.

Hey buddy, I know you're joking, but if people go back and read the 1000 pages of this thread, they'll realize that only one or two people claimed to be legitimately upset with the bubble gum (myself not included). The last few pages have been full of latecomers assuming that everyone in here is railing against bubble blowing, which is absurd.

I think it's legitimate to pose the question: has Adam Jones become more complacent as an all-star outfielder over time (as supported by the numbers)? If so, regardless of how small the negative impact, wouldn't that be something we'd all like to see addressed?

I spent almost $100 on a Jones jersey - the only one of the Orioles I own - so it's especially interesting to me whether he cares more about "smashing Popeyes" after every game or, you know, potentially improving his fielding percentage by a point or two.

She woke up early.

Now this is not definitive I admit but I do think it they are leading you to think a certain way when you watch it.

The montage starts with Jones gawing gum, then shows the error and bubble, then shows Jones throwing the Gum away in disgust. And watch Kirby after Jones throws the gum away. He claps.

A ha! The smoking gum! :rolleyestf:

AJ's a bit of a hotdog but that's fine. I like the confidence. The gum has nothing to do with his ability to catch. He's a great player, certainly no GG though, and it's great he takes the blame. He's clearly been hot at the plate this season. Of course, he's had three huge defensive mistakes in just the last 15 games going back to the ALDS. If he catches those balls against Minn and NY they're 7-4, maybe 8-3 now. To say nothing of possibly advancing to the ALCS last year. Obviously there's a lot of factors in all of those situations but the most glaring mistake each time was in CF. His fundamentals stink and it's costing the team. He's 27. If he wants to be a leader he needs to mature in the outfield. As was mentioned before, it took him a few seasons to stop playing too shallow. He simply must stop the lackadaisical play.

I know people have already made the MJ comparison, and how he stuck out his tongue, but I was just thinking how similar that is to blowing a bubble. Isn't it? Exerting pressure with the tongue in unconscious concentration. According to this line of thinking, Jones blowing bubbles means he is focusing.

On another note, I've watched basically every game for the past several years, and I absolutely do not recall so much non-stop spitting from all the players... but I know baseball players are kind of known for spitting, so I'm just wondering: anyone else notice this? Is it because it's so cold? Or is the amount of spitting pretty normal...

I know people have already made the MJ comparison, and how he stuck out his tongue, but I was just thinking how similar that is to blowing a bubble. Isn't it? Exerting pressure with the tongue in unconscious concentration. According to this line of thinking, Jones blowing bubbles means he is focusing.

On another note, I've watched basically every game for the past several years, and I absolutely do not recall so much non-stop spitting from all the players... but I know baseball players are kind of known for spitting, so I'm just wondering: anyone else notice this? Is it because it's so cold? Or is the amount of spitting pretty normal...

That's what I see. Look at most any craftsman at his trade. Always there is a pointed tongue or grimace or pursed lips or something when concentrating.

What happens when Jones stops chewing gum, and then stops hitting? We would tell him to go chew the gum again. I doubt Buck will mess with Jones about the gum.

Simple solution. Chew gum while hitting, seeds while in the field. This will require a new piece of gum every 15 minutes, but Adam is a rich man, he can afford it.

Hey buddy, I know you're joking, but if people go back and read the 1000 pages of this thread, they'll realize that only one or two people claimed to be legitimately upset with the bubble gum (myself not included). The last few pages have been full of latecomers assuming that everyone in here is railing against bubble blowing, which is absurd.

I think it's legitimate to pose the question: has Adam Jones become more complacent as an all-star outfielder over time (as supported by the numbers)? If so, regardless of how small the negative impact, wouldn't that be something we'd all like to see addressed?

I spent almost $100 on a Jones jersey - the only one of the Orioles I own - so it's especially interesting to me whether he cares more about "smashing Popeyes" after every game or, you know, potentially improving his fielding percentage by a point or two.

Just trying to keep the humor in the thread, if possible. Plus there are plenty of other threads about Adam's performance as outfielder. This one is about GUM! LOL.

The Jordan comparision is ridiculous, sorry. Jordan has never been accused of half-azzing it on the court. He sticks his tongue out and dominates. Jones occasionally looks like its a chore to chase after a flyball, and appears to put the absolute minimum effort into the catching part. Its not that Jones puts up bad numbers overall. Does Jones blow bubbles during his swing?

The Jordan comparision is ridiculous, sorry. Jordan has never been accused of half-azzing it on the court. He sticks his tongue out and dominates. Jones occasionally looks like its a chore to chase after a flyball, and appears to put the absolute minimum effort into the catching part. Its not that Jones puts up bad numbers overall. Does Jones blow bubbles during his swing?

Comparing Michael Jordan to Adam Jones is ridiculous, but comparing sticking out your tongue and blowing bubbles is not ridiculous but very credible.

Thousands of athletes of all types (from professional to kids), have idiosyncrasies that they subconsciously perform in high pressure situations. They do not distract; if you ask anyone from the kid playing in little league to the professional earning millions, they will tell you that they don't even notice it. Jones himself has stated multiple times (and they have been quoted in this thread) that he doesn't even know when he blows a bubble. It's natural and completely subconscious. Just as it was for Michael Jordan and the tongue.

Comparing Michael Jordan to Adam Jones is ridiculous, but comparing sticking out your tongue and blowing bubbles is not ridiculous but very credible.

Thousands of athletes of all types (from professional to kids), have idiosyncrasies that they subconsciously perform in high pressure situations. They do not distract; if you ask anyone from the kid playing in little league to the professional earning millions, they will tell you that they don't even notice it. Jones himself has stated multiple times (and they have been quoted in this thread) that he doesn't even know when he blows a bubble. It's natural and completely subconscious. Just as it was for Michael Jordan and the tongue.

No argument alot of players do it. But it looks really dumb when he's dropping these flyballs. There should be some subconcious alertness mechanism that tells him not to mess up and drop the ball while hes blowing these bubbles, dont you think? Thats what im concerned about.

Archived