Disappointed in attendance?

Pedro Cerrano

Brittany Ghiroli ‏@Britt_Ghiroli

25,697 here for #orioles #yankees.

Thats not bad for a tuesday night, Schools in and people have to work its impossible for some people. For example i have two kids and work in the morning and my gf works part time nights so as much as i would love to go tonite theres no way i can make it, also it doesnt help that i move 30 mins furter south of baltimore in King George VA so now iam about a hour and half away. Man i do love sunday home games tho !

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I also think a four game weekday series is just naturally going to draw fewer fans per game than a three game weekday series. If you had your heart set on seeing the O's play the Yankees once this September, you had four games to choose from, not three. Monday is almost always going to be the lowest attended of the four days, espcially this year with the DC area Oriole fans distracted by the Redskins and telling themselves they can pick another night this week to go see the Orioles. (But I don't know why that Monday game you mentioned from 2005 drew so well.)

I'd be pretty disappointed if the O's don't average 30,000 for the next three nights.

Tell Peter MASN Angelos not to jack up the Yankees games and you might draw 5,000 more. I wanted to go tonight but I can't afford those prices.

Tell Peter MASN Angelos not to jack up the Yankees games and you might draw 5,000 more. I wanted to go tonight but I can't afford those prices.

Mr. Angelos doesn't think the math works out. He thinks that to get those 5,000 extra fans you'd have to lower ticket prices enough that he wouldn't make up the difference in revenues. Personally, I doubt that's true, and it's short-sighted since it drives off potential future fans. But it's pretty obvious that's what the front office thinks.

I don't understand the "logic" of premium pricing. For a team whose manager is trying to take back OPACY from the days of Yankee Stadium or Fenway South, this runs contrary to that goal. The prices are still cheaper than those at Boston/NY so their fans are not discouraged from making the trip. However, for those of us that buy single games rather than season ticket packages, it's a significant markup. Not everyone has the time or the disposable income for a season ticket package.

I don't understand the "logic" of premium pricing. For a team whose manager is trying to take back OPACY from the days of Yankee Stadium or Fenway South, this runs contrary to that goal. The prices are still cheaper than those at Boston/NY so their fans are not discouraged from making the trip. However, for those of us that buy single games rather than season ticket packages, it's a significant markup. Not everyone has the time or the disposable income for a season ticket package.

Well, the logic seems pretty simple to me -- they're trying to make as much money as possible. The markup for these games is enormous -- 65% for lower box and at least that high if not higher in other areas. You're right that the price difference is less likely to deter the visiting fans than the home fans. So, they care more about making the most money on a given night than they do about filling the park with Oriole fans.

Well, the logic seems pretty simple to me -- they're trying to make as much money as possible. The markup for these games is enormous -- 65% for lower box and at least that high if not higher in other areas. You're right that the price difference is less likely to deter the visiting fans than the home fans. So, they care more about making the most money on a given night than they do about filling the park with Oriole fans.
What they're trying to do is to encourage more season ticket packages. For years, Angelos has rationalized not spending on payroll because he wants to keep ticket prices lower. His argument would be one of semantics. He didn't raise ticket prices for 22% of the schedule for so-called premium games. Instead, he lowered prices on the other 78% of the schedule. As we've seen with the MASN dollars, there's no guarantee it will be spent on payroll anyway, so a ticket price increase would only cut further into attendance.
They might have friends that do. Well at least have a plan ;)
Friends like that are always good to have, but few and far in-between. :D

What they're trying to do is to encourage more season ticket packages. For years, Angelos has rationalized not spending on payroll because he wants to keep ticket prices lower. His argument would be one of semantics. He didn't raise ticket prices for 22% of the schedule for so-called premium games. Instead, he lowered prices on the other 78% of the schedule. As we've seen with the MASN dollars, there's no guarantee it will be spent on payroll anyway, so a ticket price increase would only cut further into attendance.

Friends like that are always good to have, but few and far in-between. :D

You should call Weams or I more often!

Again, you show the worst sections of the ballpark. I don't know why you think we should all drop everything we are doing in our busy lives to go rushing down to the stadium to fork over prime ticket prices to watch a game on a weeknight. I'm not sure what your point is here. We have lousy fans? I disagree. I think we support the team well given our population, median income, and the prices down there.

The 3 million a year days are over; deal with it. It was a blip. In 1979, the Os drew 1.68 million. Were the fans lousy back then? No, in fact they were the best fans in MLB. In 1983, they drew 2 million. In the 70s, the Orioles failed to sell out playoff games. I don't know why you think we have to pack the house on a Wednesday night, nor do I understand why our failure to do so is some kind of indictment of our fanhood, nor do I understand why you care so much.

The Orioles are making plenty of money. If they wanted to pack the house they could have lower prices for these games or offer some sort of promotion. But they didn't, which is actually fine by me. I'll watch it at home, and the Os, MLB, and the players will rake in the dough. Everyone seems OK with this arrangement but you.

Again, you show the worst sections of the ballpark. I don't know why you think we should all drop everything we are doing in our busy lives to go rushing down to the stadium to fork over prime ticket prices to watch a game on a weeknight. I'm not sure what your point is here. We have lousy fans? I disagree. I think we support the team well given our population, median income, and the prices down there.

The 3 million a year days are over; deal with it. It was a blip. In 1979, the Os drew 1.68 million. Were the fans lousy back then? No, in fact they were the best fans in MLB. In 1983, they drew 2 million. In the 70s, the Orioles failed to sell out playoff games. I don't know why you think we have to pack the house on a Wednesday night, nor do I understand why our failure to do so is some kind of indictment of our fanhood, nor do I understand why you care so much.

The Orioles are making plenty of money. If they wanted to pack the house they could have lower prices for these games or offer some sort of promotion. But they didn't, which is actually fine by me. I'll watch it at home, and the Os, MLB, and the players will rake in the dough. Everyone seems OK with this arrangement but you.

It was as pretty long blip. Baltimore can sell out the park to the south, but can't be bothered to pack out the yard when it matters. It's pathetic

Sent from my SPH-M950 using Tapatalk 2

It was as pretty long blip. Baltimore can sell out the park to the south, but can't be bothered to pack out the yard when it matters. It's pathetic

Sent from my SPH-M950 using Tapatalk 2

Baltimore isn't Boston with a drawing radius that consists of six states. Considering the drawing radius ends to the north in Delaware and to the south in Montgomery County, Maryland, the Orioles have drawn remarkably well this season. Baltimore has outdrawn Pittsburgh, Oakland, Kansas City, Cleveland and Tampa Bay. All those cities are in a pennant race.

Archived