Assault at Orioles game sends man to intensive care

Going Underground

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lesson Here: Learn CPR

Not much to learn nowadays either. Just chest compressions at 100 beats per minute and get an automated external defibrillator hooked up as quickly as possible. Don't even need to perform rescue breathing until an advanced airway is in place.

It's all about good circulation. Your breath only provides 16% oxygen anyway.

This whole thing makes me sad and embarrassed. It's a dang game. No one should ever throw anything or fight someone over it. To think someone nearly lost their life over it is sad and troubling. The thugs that did this need to spend several years behind bars.

With that said, these type of young thugs cause these types of incidents every day, in every city, on every street and every venue. I am sorry we were part of these though.

It was about baseball, but was it really? Sounds like some ****ty people, and they're going to be in jail for awhile, I'd wager. If they hadn't been hassling some guy for wearing a Yankees cap they probably would've been getting in a fight in a bar instead.

It was about baseball, but was it really? Sounds like some ****ty people, and they're going to be in jail for awhile, I'd wager. If they hadn't been hassling some guy for wearing a Yankees cap they probably would've been getting in a fight in a bar instead.

:agree:

Probably not the first time these "tough guys" have been in a fight.

Unfortunately stadia tend not to be very safe places, be it in the US or elsewhere. There is the potential for the over consumption of alcohol (before and during the event), the inherent tribal (us vs. them) and emotional nature of sports for the fans as well as a lack of law enforcement (the usher are neither trained well enough, or paid well enough to get involved in these types of incidents - the best you could hope for is for them to call law enforcement). If the stadium with 50,000 - 100,000 people were a city, would there be more of a law enforcement presence?

If you all remember, Vet stadium in Philly had jail cells built on-site and may have also had a judge to render verdicts as well. It was needed....if anyone ever sat up in the 700 section it was like the riot scene from "Attica"

A long time back, if my memory serves me right, it was the year 2000. I was at a O's - Yanks game in the Bronx decked out in my O's gear and had a beer chucked at me. It missed it's target thankfully, but not only did several Yankee fans defend me, the fans that saw who threw it pointed him out and had him and his crew thrown out. Shocker, just like this recent incident at OPACY, it came from a group of young, visibly intoxicated men (according to the law, anyhow)

I think that we tend to, for the most part, offer the same hospitality at Camden Yards to opposing fans when things take such a turn. These two guys are old enough to know better. Being inebriated and/or making a poor decision can cost you your freedom, or even your life! Some end up learning this the hard way. These two young men have made just such a life-altering choice and will be made an example of, as they should be and as society operates. Welcome to adulthood gents. Next time think before you act. Your life as you know it depends upon it.

(the usher are neither trained well enough, or paid well enough to get involved in these types of incidents - the best you could hope for is for them to call law enforcement).

That's where we disagree. I don't think that's the best we could hope for. I think it's the least we should expect and demand. It's not about pay or training. It's a matter of common sense and decency.

Unfortunately stadia tend not to be very safe places, be it in the US or elsewhere. There is the potential for the over consumption of alcohol (before and during the event), the inherent tribal (us vs. them) and emotional nature of sports for the fans as well as a lack of law enforcement (the usher are neither trained well enough, or paid well enough to get involved in these types of incidents - the best you could hope for is for them to call law enforcement). If the stadium with 50,000 - 100,000 people were a city, would there be more of a law enforcement presence?

Yep. Pretty much sums it up.

And this is the reason I never leave the house without my gun. Ever. I value the safety of my family and friends over the safety of some douche with beer balls.

Obviously you have to be law enforcement, as a CCW in Maryland for the rest of us is near impossible.

I work and spend a lot of time down in the city and would love to be able to carry my piece on my person. But, no sir, not in Maryland. In Maryland, and down in the city, the only people that don't get to carry a gun are us tax payers.

This is not directed at you, by the way. I'm glad that even off-duty, you guys are packing, because it's a (drug) war zone down here.

That's where we disagree. I don't think that's the best we could hope for. I think it's the least we should expect and demand. It's not about pay or training. It's a matter of common sense and decency.

Na. I disagree. They are not allowed to get involved in those type of fights. On the other hand, the new Security force can. Ushers can talk and call the security. Nothing else.

Na. I disagree. They are not allowed to get involved in those type of fights. On the other hand, the new Security force can. Ushers can talk and call the security. Nothing else.

I don't know what you're disagreeing with. I never said they should get physically involved. Pay attention. I They apparently didn't call or talk to anyone.

Archived