Assault at Orioles game sends man to intensive care

Going Underground

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I haven't followed the Dodger Stadium incident in awhile, but one of the issues was that the stadium authorities were less than forthcoming (i.e. dishonest) about misleading the public and lawyers with statistical data related to violence and safety at the stadium. Seems like fertile ground for some potentially big lawsuits to me. I've been lambasted as a prude on this before, but here goes: I don't think think the stadium is an appropriate venue to sell alcohol. If they're going to do it then they better have pretty tight procedures and polices ..... and be ready to face the litigation. Personally, I would just get rid of it and screen the ingress more aggressively.
Yeah. That isn't going to happen though. And if the lawsuits are forthcoming, a sport's team can certainly move it's venue.

These guys aren't getting drunk off $9 beers though. They're hammering shots before the game.

Edit: oh I see you mentioned tighter screening on the entrants.

Beers are only 7.50 at Camden yards. For a big tall cup of beer.

Not too bad.

These guys aren't getting drunk off $9 beers though. They're hammering shots before the game.

Sounds like they had a couple bottles that they could throw. I understand the point and that's why I made the point about trying to control ingress as well. There are multiple procedural steps that could come into play. I also have no idea of what the climate is with respect to this problem in OPACY right now. I've got a good feel for the stadiums out here.

Now that I've had a chance to climb down from my high horse I should back-track a bit. I shouldn't assume the ushers were at fault. I have no idea what the circumstances were. They might have done the very best they could. The ultimate blame should go to the 2 clowns the police hauled away.

I find the Orioles' response shockingly insufficient:

An Orioles spokeswoman said the team was aware of the incident but had no comment.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/crime/blog/bs-md-ci-orioles-game-assault-20130531,0,511562.story

There are obvious ways in which the team could have expressed its concern without actually committing to any one version of the incident. Really disappointing.

This is why I roll my eyes at people that talk so much hate about the Red Sox and Yankees. Sure, I dislike them too because i want to win, but it is a game people. This is disgusting.

IT IS A GAME!!! FOR FUN!!!

Man, this makes me angry.

Me too. It is really sad.

Gonna be non conventional here and state what should be obvious; don't wear your gear to another teams ballparks.

Feel bad for all those involved and hope the injured guy manages to pull through.

It is your kind of attitude that makes me sick. It is the victims fault because he

wore a Yankees cap. In of all places Baltimore in America.

It is your kind of attitude that makes me sick. It is the victims fault because he

wore a Yankees cap. In of all places Baltimore in America.

No reason to blame the victim for wearing a Yankees hat. That would be dumb. However I have a few different things to say on that note. 1-You should never have to be afraid to support your team at another park. Expect to be hassled, but not hurt. B-We really don't know the exact situation. We don't know if he was being "tough" and was threatening the guy as he walked up to him.

I do not condone anyones actions in this event. But I was also not there. I think we all agree that the guy who got hurt didn't deserve to be. But we also don't know if the guy who did it was threatened. What we do know is the guy that did the hurting, was instigating the situation. There are just too many variables to judge each other here, and we should just be focusing on the fact that someone got seriously hurt and it didn't need to come to this.

Forgive me, but the only thing we all know here is this should have never happened.

No reason to blame the victim for wearing a Yankees hat. That would be dumb. However I have a few different things to say on that note. 1-You should never have to be afraid to support your team at another park. Expect to be hassled, but not hurt. B-We really don't know the exact situation. We don't know if he was being "tough" and was threatening the guy as he walked up to him.

I do not condone anyones actions in this event. But I was also not there. I think we all agree that the guy who got hurt didn't deserve to be. But we also don't know if the guy who did it was threatened. What we do know is the guy that did the hurting, was instigating the situation. There are just too many variables to judge each other here, and we should just be focusing on the fact that someone got seriously hurt and it didn't need to come to this.

Forgive me, but the only thing we all know here is this should have never happened.

I agree 100%. All the sanctimonious crap on this post based on zero information if internet blather. For all we know the guy that got hurt was the problem. I'm not judging the two guys in jail and I'm not judging the guy in the Yankees hat because I don't know what happened. Unlike a lot of people making judgements on incomplete information that fits their world view, why don't we all shut up and let the authorities figure it all out.

I find the Orioles' response shockingly insufficient:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/crime/blog/bs-md-ci-orioles-game-assault-20130531,0,511562.story

There are obvious ways in which the team could have expressed its concern without actually committing to any one version of the incident. Really disappointing.

They are scared of a lawsuit and don't want to say anything incriminating. Can't blame them.

Archived