Assault at Orioles game sends man to intensive care

Going Underground

Yeah. That isn't going to happen though. And if the lawsuits are forthcoming, a sport's team can certainly move it's venue.

With no Dram Shop in Maryland, those law suits won't go far. There's no civil liability on the part of the alcohol server in Maryland. The worst that can happen is liquor board penalties and fines, and the city liquor board is never going to revoke the license for OPACY. Delaware North would just dismiss an employee that's in violation. That's about it.

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He is doing OK. Surgery went well, and he walked a little bit yesterday. Thank you fr your concern.

This incident just gives the team, fans, and city of Baltimore a bad rep. Although not all fans are like this, when something of this caliber happens unfortunately the rep is wrongly spread to ALL fans.

Your prayers and concern are greatly appreciated.

He is doing OK. Surgery went well, and he walked a little bit yesterday. Thank you fr your concern.

This incident just gives the team, fans, and city of Baltimore a bad rep. Although not all fans are like this, when something of this caliber happens unfortunately the rep is wrongly spread to ALL fans.

Your prayers and concern are greatly appreciated.

Yeah, I'm glad he's doing better. I hope he comes back to the Yard, even with his dumb little hat.

I've been under a rock, (online classes) and didn't hear about this until this morning. The story literally makes me feel sick to my stomach. One of the best O's games I've ever been to was last year when we beat the yankees in the playoffs at home against Pettitte. I sat next to two yankee fans, and we had some good back and forth smack talk the whole game.

It was always in good fun, and I bought the guy a beer and shook his hand after the game. It's beyond my understanding how things can escalate to this point. I will never understand it, and I drink my fair share at games.

I'm really glad to hear that he is doing well, all things considered.

This sorta thing came up at the last HO game. There was a Ray's fan in our section to our right, right at the rail. And he was obnoxious. But, as every one was quick to point out, he had a hot Os fan girl with him. But it sparked conversation about how to root for your team when you're in another park, and he wasn't doing it well. Posturing, shirt pointing and tugging at every little thing (didn't help that JJ blew that save). You just don't do that. You're purposefully, and dangerously, antagonizing everyone around you, and many of them have been drinking. I've sat next to, or around, SO MANY fans of opposing teams that were great experiences. Years ago, a nice dude and his girl were in front of me, cheering on the Yankees. Guy was super game savvy, and was a great conversationalist during the game. Around the 7th inning, the Orioles were up by a couple, and something went the Yankees way. His girl started grandstanding about it, but he immediately pulled her down, and said "no, we don't do that. Especially when we're losing." He looked at me and winked. Now there was a guy who gets it.

They are scared of a lawsuit and don't want to say anything incriminating. Can't blame them.

I guess the Orioles are a lot more "scared" than the Dodgers were after their incident:

San Francisco and Los Angeles can agree on one thing. The mayors, police chiefs and baseball owners of the two cities banded together in a statement Sunday condemning fan violence after Thursday's Opening Day assault that left a Giants fan in a coma.

"This attack is unconscionable behavior that will not be tolerated in either of our ballparks or in either of our cities," read the statement from mayors Ed Lee of San Francisco and Antonio Villaraigosa of Los Angeles, police chiefs Jeff Godown and Charlie Beck, and Giants managing partner Bill Neukom and Dodgers owner Frank McCourt.

Following the Dodgers' 2-1 win over the Giants, Giants fan Bryan Stow, 42, of Santa Cruz, was beaten by two men outside Dodger Stadium and reportedly hospitalized with a brain injury. A $10,000 reward has been offered for information leading to the arrests of the suspects.

Today's statement promised prosecution of those responsible "to the fullest extent of the law."

"This is a great rivalry between teams competing on the field of play," the statement read. "That's where it must stay."

The officials also offered their sympathies to Stow and his family.

"The best thing that we as a community of baseball fans can do to support Bryan and his family is to rise above this outrageous act and exercise good sportsmanship and mutual respect for each other," they said.

Read more at the San Francisco Examiner: http://www.sfexaminer.com/local/crime/2011/04/sf-la-officials-condemn-giants-dodgers-fan-violence-after-opening-day-attack#ixzz2UyYtkQSO

Maybe have them banned from the stadium. Hopefully they will be in jail for years

to come. Makes me wonder what will be done or what can be done to protect fans

at the stadiums. You can't ban beer because some can get tanked up before the

games. Security can't be around all the time. I would be afraid to bring a baby or

a young child to a game for fear they could be hit if some fool threw a bottle.

For me I won't go to a game. Paraplegic in wheelchair. I couldn't defend myself if

some drunken SOB attacked me. It is a damn shame that some fans have gotten

so crazy over a sport. Over a game. They ruin it for everyone else .

You are never going to leave your house with attitude like that. Camden Yards is pretty safe place. I would say I have gone to a couple hundred games there and have had zero bad experiences with other people. And the guy who threw the punch in this incident is from Jarrettsville, MD. I lived there for many years. It is probably one of the safest places in the world. I never locked my door. The biggest thing on the crime logs was that a cow got loose. 40,000 people get killed in auto accident every year in this county. Someone choked to death on a hot dog at Wrigley field.

I guess the Orioles are a lot more "scared" than the Dodgers were after their incident:

Well in the Orioles defense, Yankees fans have made Angelos a lot of money over the years. He doesn't want to scare them away.

Great post. I can promise you this...... I would do everything within my power to help a person in distress at the Yard, or anywhere else for that matter. I might not be able to prevent the first bottle from being thrown, but any further launches would be opposed, hopefully by security.

I should be clear. I'm not encouraging fans to jump in and have a royal rumble. Hell, the last thing I want to do at an Orioles game is fight. Oh sure, I might secretly hope the obnoxious Yankees fan got the one bad hot dog in the entire stadium, but that's about it.

It saddens me to hear that potential violence is keeping you away. I think you would have a wonderful experience at Camden Yards, the recent foolishness notwithstanding.

Thank you. That was very nice. I am sure I would.

They make an announcement at the game about reporting a problem (text message?) if you encounter one. It appears that the victim, in a display of chivalry for his date, tried to take matters into his own hands, rather than seeking assistance. My first response would have been to see to it that the two were immediately ejected. I'm sure there are a few internet tough guys who think that direct confrontation was the right thing to do, but legally there are implications for fighting, justifiably provoked or not. In no way does that condone what these drunk jackasses did; their actions were totally inexcusable. However, the severity of the incident could have been avoided.

You are never going to leave your house with attitude like that. Camden Yards is pretty safe place. I would say I have gone to a couple hundred games there and have had zero bad experiences with other people. And the guy who threw the punch in this incident is from Jarrettsville, MD. I lived there for many years. It is probably one of the safest places in the world. I never locked my door. The biggest thing on the crime logs was that a cow got loose. 40,000 people get killed in auto accident every year in this county. Someone choked to death on a hot dog at Wrigley field.

The fan who got punched, I feel bad for him. No one expects or should have to fear getting assaulted by another person at Camden Yards. The guys in jail are 100% to blame.

BUT... he put himself into a position to get hit by making a direct confrontation with the rowdy drunk guys who threw the beer. The safe play would be to ask for an usher to deal with it.

Archived