O's Acquire Scott Feldman for Arrieta

AJismyhero

Another Duquette thing. Local guys. He will get a local guy if he can, this was a nice little add on. Will be interesting to see what they do with him. Expo and Snyder are at AAA, with Paulino and Zach Booker on the 7-day DL. 5 catchers!

Expo or Paulino will be released most likely.

• Replies 901
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In a playoff situation, I don't want a guy who "gives us innings", I want someone who will give the team a chance to win the game.

Which is Chen, Tillman, and Gonzo. Teams rarely use a 4th starter in the playoffs so Feldman may not even get playoff starts (if we get there). But he would be valuable out of the bullpen at that point.

There seems to be a lot of people on here that are bitter that we didn't come away with a Cliff Lee or Garza for our highly touted prospects of Arrieta and Strop. Listen, both Strop and Arrieta have lost a lot of value within the past couple months. Arietta has lost value each year he is ineffective, he is now 27 and really hasn't got much better. Teams were not going to give away a top pitcher for either of these two, so get over it and accept the fact that we got a decent pitcher for 2 below average pitchers.

In a playoff situation, I don't want a guy who "gives us innings", I want someone who will give the team a chance to win the game.

Yeah, and Mighty Joe Saunders came over from ARZ to much gnashing of teeth with his 4.22 ERA and 1.37 WHIP. He gave the team a chance to win, I'd say. But, whatever, be mad for the sake of being mad. You have no idea what Feldman will bring to the team, regardless of what your numbers say.

So I think Feldman is significantly better than

1. Freddy Garcia

2. Jair Jurrjens

He is probably slightly better than:

1. Zach Britton

2. Steve Johnson

Hopefully he'll save the bullpen some innings... but I don't think he'll actually win many games.

Feldman has a 60% QS% this year.

The Orioles average this year is 46%. AL average is 51%. Along with Gonzalez (71%), Tillman (65%) and Chen (63%), the Orioles will now have 4 of their 5 starters above league average for QS%. By the way, Britton had 0% QS this year. Hammel is only at 44%.

Feldman is an upgrade and will keep the team in the game more times than not. With our offense and defense, I'll take that.

Jake and Pedro were terrible this year and neither ever had sustained success in the majors. Their departure is almost addition by subtraction. Did anyone want to see Strop pitch again? What were the Orioles going to do with him considering his options were gone? There are at least 10 pitchers in the org ahead of Arrieta in the list of starters right now and he's 27. Getting anything useful for them is great. The Orioles are better with this trade and Feldman will be a fine option for fifth starter.

So I think Feldman is significantly better than

1. Freddy Garcia

2. Jair Jurrjens

He is probably slightly better than:

1. Zach Britton

2. Steve Johnson

Hopefully he'll save the bullpen some innings... but I don't think he'll actually win many games.

If Hammel can find a way to win 9 games, I am sure Feldman can find a way.

Certainly Garza! We have the ammo to get him but i doubt they want to give up what it will take.

Garza is a good pitcher but he is not a #1. More than likely he would not be worth what the Orioles would have to give up

The only downside to this trade is the long-term possibility that Arrieta somehow puts everything together and becomes a consistent pitcher at the major league level. For whatever reason, despite his talent, it wasn't happening for him here.

Strop has electric stuff. Would not surprise me to see him rebound next season on a different team and be lights out.

Feldman is another very solid #3 starter in a rotation full of them. If all starters are healthy, the starting pitching should give the offense and defense a chance to win each game.

At the end of the day, I'm not sure the O's really need a #1. Certainly many of our guys have had outings that are #1 quality outings. Our offense has definitely hit a number of #1 guys.

All we have to do is pitch well, score runs, and let the bullpen finish the job. It's not like the #1's we're going up against are pitching 9 shutout innings. No. We're going to score at least 1 or 2 runs off them, if not more, in 6 or 7 innings. I believe Chen and Gonzo and Tillman all have a chance to pitch like that every time they take the mound.

Who are we afraid of?

I agree. Our #1 is going to come through drafts, hopefully it is Gausman or Bundy..heck hopefully it is both. When you trade for a #1, you have to give up the farm to get them and DD isn't about to do that. Signing one in the offseason is pretty much out of the question too, not enough money.

Baseball is all about timing. There are only 25 spots in the roster and you can't wait forever for players to get it together, especially if you are a contender. There's a significant risk that Strop and Arrieta turn it around, but you still need to take that risk in exchange for a chance to win now, not in the future.

The O's were the beneficiaries of exactly the same thing with the Koji Uehara trade that brought Davis to Baltimore, except they were on the other end of it. It's easy to fault the Rangers in hindsight, but at the time their move was the right one.

Ken Rosenthal says that since Feldman was traded the Orioles cant make him a qualifying offer in the off season. He says, "Feldman, a potential free agent, cannot receive a qualifying offer from the Orioles in the off season now that he has been traded."

Does this mean we could sign him to a new deal now, during the season, but not once the season ends?

Archived