O's Acquire Scott Feldman for Arrieta

AJismyhero

• Replies 901
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the Orioles got better by getting rid of Strop and Arrieta. They had a negative impact on the ballclub, Strop especially. We can bring up Rauch or another AAA arm now and get a better performance out of that bullpen spot that Strop was holding. That alone makes the trade a winner... but to also fix our #5 rotating door while improving the bullpen at the same time? Love the trade.

I think the Orioles got better by getting rid of Strop and Arrieta. They had a negative impact on the ballclub, Strop especially. We can bring up Rauch or another AAA arm now and get a better performance out of that bullpen spot that Strop was holding. That alone makes the trade a winner... but to also fix our #5 rotating door while improving the bullpen at the same time? Love the trade.

Agree 100% here.

Eh, this helps us to get to the playoffs but doesn't do crap for us once were in.

Hope Dan can pull off a trade for a #1.

If your waiting for us to land a TOR guy then you might as well forget it. Unless we give up the likes of Gausman, Schoop and others then we aren't getting near a TOR guy.

If your waiting for us to land a TOR guy then you might as well forget it. Unless we give up the likes of Gausman, Schoop and others then we aren't getting near a TOR guy.

Exactly-this is it. Maybe a bullpen arm.

Per the Sun:

No news on when Feldman makes his Os debut. There is an opening Thursday -- it will not be Chen, who will make one more rehab start.

I guess Chen is not ready yet.

Britton can start on Thursday, but I'd prefer Feldman. They could actually skip Britton/send him down.

So the cubs just made a little trade with Houston for two of their slot bonuses per mlbtr. Must be the way Theo is trying to rebuild.

That's not a bad strategy. I always liked Theo and it's nice to finally be able to root for him.

I am satisfied with this trade. DD improved the rotation for the rest of the season without giving up any of the organization's top prospects. If Arietta and Strop figure things out, it will be in the other league. Feldman has pitched in hitters parks his entire career and gets ground balls; should be a good fit for OPACY.

It's a testament to my thoughts on Arrieta and Strop that my reaction to trading them for a pitcher who's posted ERAs above 5.00 in four out of the last seven seasons (counting this one) is:

This must be what Gleeks feel like...all the time. :D

I hope the trade works out but I don't like it for a few reasons. Most obvious, I don't think much of Feldman. He hasn't been very good lately and I don't think he's much better than our internal options. In making the deal, it reduces our stock to make another. Mock what we gave away if you like but guys that can throw in the mid 90s are attractive for teams looking to the future. Having just acquired Feldman, we're even less likely to deal for another starter because we're a) going to give him time to see how he does and b) added payroll. Finally, there's the international $ flowing away.

In short, I think folks shouldn't just view this as who was acquired and who was dealt but the opportunity cost of taking on a roster spot and salary.

I don't think anybody is mocking Pedro or Jake. I happen to like both of them, but I feel like I am being realistic. They were not going to contribute anything to this team moving forward, IMO. I will be happy for them if they turn it around in Chicago, but I highly doubt it was going to happen here. And for the Cubs looking to the future, Jake is 27 and Pedro is 28. There is not a whole lot of projectability left there. I wish them well, but I feel like we won this deal.

Say what you will about Feldman, but I feel like he is a solid starter. He is a 4/5. That is something we needed and we did not give up big pieces to get it. As for reducing stock, I can't see Jake or Pedro being important pieces of a deal to acquire anyone else, so I don't think that is really a consideration. The international money matters, but it was not a huge amount.

I don't think there is any doubt that we are a better team now than we were an hour ago. And we did not do much harm to the future to accomplish that. And it gives us enough time to decide if we need to make another move. I like the move and I love the timing of the move. Well done, Dan.

Archived