The BRob Effect

webbrick2010

It has nothing to do with rest or injury risk. He's got poor range at 2B. Flaherty and Casilla have great range. They are much better defenders. Pick one, and our chances of winning increase.

I just added that in as a bonus, i know the reason they would be taking him out. But thanks for the explanation

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree with this, but not that he's been bad. Because that's actually false. He's been having solid ABs, driving in a fair number of runs, hitting the ball hard, and he's made some heady plays on defense, even though he's not getting to a few balls. That doesn't qualify as "bad" to me.

Bad was used there specifically in regards to his defense.

Overall he has been around replacement level, which is pretty close to the production level they have had all season.

I see 2 or 3 every game. I don't see why he isn't replaced any time we have a save situation.

That's pretty absurd. There aren't enough balls hit in the area of 2B for this to be even remotely true. If you want to go with one ball every other game, I'll buy it.

"Bad" is hyperbole in this instance. Replacement level defense =/= bad defense. Wilson Betemit = bad defense.

OVERALL he has been replacement level. Defensively he has been below replacement level (Bad).

I even said specifically that in the section you quoted.

How exactly does he wind up with a below replacement level on defense with one error? He hasn't missed many if any DP turns and hasn't missed THAT many balls he couldnt get to.

OVERALL he has been replacement level. Defensively he has been below replacement level (Bad).

I even said specifically that in the section you quoted.

How exactly does he wind up with a below replacement level on defense with one error? He hasn't missed many if any DP turns and hasn't missed THAT many balls he couldnt get to.

It sounds like your definition of THAT many is much different from UZR.

once again, i know that it's not about errors. Did you read my whole quote? I went onto DP's turned and balls he couldn't get to....

Evidently your eyes don't match what Baseball Reference and Fangraphs are seeing.

He is not getting to enough balls.

Evidently not. I just don't see it being so bad. Like dan-o was saying, he is only 5'9" so it's not like he has Flaherty's length anyway. Sure he should be replaced late in games, but to just sit here and rip his D is a little unnecessary. He is playing good ball overall right?

Evidently your eyes don't match what Baseball Reference and Fangraphs are seeing.

Still a SSS, but I honestly don't know how a well informed baseball fan can look at Brob in the field and not think he's below average out there.

Wouldn't most 2b's have one ball every other game he couldn't get to tho? Seems likely, making BRob fairly average.

Evidently not. I just don't see it being so bad. Like dan-o was saying, he is only 5'9" so it's not like he has Flaherty's length anyway. Sure he should be replaced late in games, but to just sit here and rip his D is a little unnecessary. He is playing good ball overall right?

If being 5'9" hurts his defense that still counts against his defense. The ball doesn't care why Roberts couldn't get to it.

I really don't think calling his defense "bad" constitutes "ripping" him, but I know a lot of folks take any and all criticism of Roberts personally.

Archived