The BRob Effect

webbrick2010

I think this is a function of knowing/already thinking Roberts is "bad" defensively and assuming every ball that's hit to the right side of the infield would be grabbed by Flash. I think one or so every other game is far more reasonable.

Even that (one ball every other game) is an exaggeration, but at least it's possible. I've personally witnessed about 4-5 plays where I thought at the time that Casilla or Flanerty might have made the play (emphasis on might have). I haven't watched every inning of every game, so I am sure there have been more than that where another 2B might have made a play BRob didn't make.

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What about the sweet play Roberts made against Chicago? Flaherty may have not made that play due to the fact that he is a lot slower than Roberts. Does that make him a below average defender? You would say no...so what's the difference?
You're arguing Flaherty has less range than Roberts? Are you kidding me?
You are taking that quote out of context, badly.

How did I take the quote out of context? You are saying Flaherty would/may have not made a play Roberts made because he is slower correct?

Well for example, I think Davis is below average. He makes a nice play from time to time, but I'm generally unimpressed of his awareness around the bag at times. If I said that Davis was a bad defender, I think that'd draw out a certain response. One that might be different if I pointed out I thought he was below average.

I'm just saying...the tone that you used, is going to draw the BRob defenders out. Not saying you trolled them, I don't think you did. Not saying you're wrong. I happen to agree with you. I think the more relevant discussion is around the pop BRob has brought to the table. I've been really happy with his PAs lately and I think the offense was so bad at 2b before the upgrade he brings on that front is worth the defensive risk.

For now I'll take the offense over the defense.

I do think Davis is slightly below average, but I think he is close enough to fall within the "average" range. I do not think that is the case with Roberts or Reimold.

Davis isn't going to hurt you over there. Roberts, Reimold and Betemit could.

SSS to be sure but Baseball Reference has him below replacement level and Fangraphs has him at replacement level. He has no stolen bases since his return and his defense has been bad.

Not something worth crowing about at this point.

Agreed. Too many people want to regurgitate these threads when a player goes 4-for-4 or 0-for-4 with four k's. It's a marathon. Roberst has been a decent with the bat of late, but as you said, he's been below average at best defensively and for the life of me I have no idea how he was not standing on second base the other night when he hit the ball over the right-fielders head and it bounced away from him.

I still would like to see Flaherty get some playing time. He and Castilla have been buried since B-Robs return.

I do think Davis is slightly below average, but I think he is close enough to fall within the "average" range. I do not think that is the case with Roberts or Reimold.

Davis isn't going to hurt you over there. Roberts, Reimold and Betemit could.

I think Davis is a pretty mediocre 1B. But it's a pretty easy position to play, so being mediocre there simply doesn't cost a team as much as having a mediocre 2B.

I have tried to be patient with you but I think it is clear that you are trolling. These are concepts that should not be difficult to understand and yet you keep claiming ignorance while drawing out the conversation.

I am done amusing you.

Here, let me try.

What is so below average? Give me some examples. I really want to know how bad he is at 2nd base. I watch the same games as everyone else and i see him being average and pretty adequate out there.

You must really like Roberts or you haven't watched that much baseball. How about Feldman's last start? You see it? There was a ball hit softly in the 3-4 hole that Roberts looked like he was running in sand trying to to get. Either one of Casilla or Flaherty would have gloved it. It led to two runs being scored off Feldman. And someones speed isn't always indicative of range in the field. Flaherty may not be as fast as Roberts but it's clear he has far more range. I'm comfortable with Frobby's number of four or five balls at this point that Roberts counterparts would have made plays on. What I'm not comfortable with is him being in at the end of any close game.

Evidently not. I just don't see it being so bad. Like dan-o was saying, he is only 5'9" so it's not like he has Flaherty's length anyway. Sure he should be replaced late in games, but to just sit here and rip his D is a little unnecessary. He is playing good ball overall right?

You do know you are doing the quoting thing wrong, right? You type UNDER the quote, not above.

I think Davis is a pretty mediocre 1B. But it's a pretty easy position to play, so being mediocre there simply doesn't cost a team as much as having a mediocre 2B.

Yeah, I agree with this. Oddly enough Davis seems fine on scoops/throws this year (his main weakness last year), but appears somewhat disappointing on fielding plays/range. As you said, first base typically just doesn't cost as much as the other positions.

You must really like Roberts or you haven't watched that much baseball. How about Feldman's last start? You see it? There was a ball hit softly in the 3-4 hole that Roberts looked like he was running in sand trying to to get. Either one of Casilla or Flaherty would have gloved it. It led to two runs being scored off Feldman. And someones speed isn't always indicative of range in the field. Flaherty may not be as fast as Roberts but it's clear he has far more range. I'm comfortable with Frobby's number of four or five balls at this point that Roberts counterparts would have made plays on. What I'm not comfortable with is him being in at the end of any close game.

I agree with this. On top of it, the Orioles have to put Machado in shallow right because Roberts' arm is so below average that he was unable to throw out a slow runner from shallow right. Roberts is solid enough with his hands and footwork around the bag that he can be ok at routine plays, but he definitely has below average range and arm at this stage of his career. Flaherty should definitely be used late in close games as a defensive replacement.

You are taking that quote out of context, badly.

How so? You said,"Flaherty may have not made that play due to the fact he is a lot slower than Roberts."

In that context was there any other way to take it other than range in the field?

You do know you are doing the quoting thing wrong, right? You type UNDER the quote, not above.

You saw my last quote at 11:03 right? It's ppl like u that make ppl like me really annonyed. I'm here giving my opinions and u have to get smart. Why? Also, if you can't differenciate between Under/Over, then u should be warned.

How so? You said,"Flaherty may have not made that play due to the fact he is a lot slower than Roberts."

In that context was there any other way to take it other than range in the field?

On THAT particular play! You act like I'm saying on every play at 2B Roberts is better, and i am NOT!

You saw my last quote at 11:03 right? It's ppl like u that make ppl like me really annonyed. I'm here giving my opinions and u have to get smart. Why? Also, if you can't differenciate between Under/Over, then u should be warned.

This post belongs in the Hall of Fame of Awesomeness.

Archived