So why hasn't Brob been traded?

pactman12

I am just as curious as everyone to see how this shakes out, but I will say this. If this WAS an Orioles driven conspiracy to burn Tony and the rest of us at the Hangout, then the Orioles have just alienated the remaining few true Die Hard fans they have left. I'm not much on conspiracy theories, but there sure is something strange about this whole thing. I just hope to God the Orioles have not done something like that to Tony and the OH!

I would be surprised. I think SG said something to the effect of 'focus on the right things'.

I could not agree more. I like the fact he may want his own inner circle, but I don't think in this offseason, there is the time and effort allowable to pursue such a naive endeavor.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh you are correct it take less then 5 min. to see what a single poster posted, but to get everything into context so you understand what is going on you have to weed through those threads, and that takes time to weed through over 800 replies in just the two main threads from yesterday. I don't think anyone is really expecting to spoon feed them, but is just simply asking for someone to that has the time help them get caught up. Now if they complain because no one is helping, then they deserved to be put in their place.

And what is so wrong with someone wanting to get caught up on 800 replies worth of info by asking for a readers digest version?? Not everyone has 25 30 min. every couple hours or so to get caught up, he may have 5 min. or so 2 - 3 times a day. And the elitist comment is just not confined to this thread nor is it specifically directed towards you. It is an over all under lying attitude around here. We all want good intelligent posters, and sometime those guys are noobs and because they don't have 1500 posts or 5 billion rep points they get dismissed very quickly or are completely ignored.

Well this is getting off topic, and I invite you to carry this on by PM if you so choose.

Delduck, this bolded part is just plain wrong! The amount of posts means nothing. The reputation you gain among your fellow posters is what means everything. Just like in real life, those of us who have been around for a while gain our own reputation on this site. You make your own reputation. (By the way, I am not talking about the little green pips). SG is probably one of the most disagreed with posters in our community, often getting into heated discussions with other posters, and he has 50,000+ posts! Nobody lies down for him because of the number of posts he has. Same goes for everyone. The ONLY disadvantage new posters have is that thye have yet to develop their own reputation among the community, and therefore when those new people immediately come on and criticize the insiders, Tony, the site, or any of us "regular" members, of course they are met with scepticism. Develop a reputation as a good person and your opinions, ALL of your opinions, will then matter. But develop a reputation as a troublemaker and people will blow off your ideas more than not. Also, please do not misunderstand me. I am NOT bashing YOU here, just explaining the theory behind posting on the OH.

It sounds like a trade had been agreed upon but not submitted to the league. This is just like many free agent deals are announced well before the contract was signed.

We'll know when a trade has officially taken place because 1) it will be announced and 2) the O's will probably have to make roster moves to accommodate the extra guys.

If someone says the deal is 'done' but you don't see roster moves, it's not 100% done. I guess that I went into it with that mindset so I'm not really disappointed.

I am just as curious as everyone to see how this shakes out, but I will say this. If this WAS an Orioles driven conspiracy to burn Tony and the rest of us at the Hangout, then the Orioles have just alienated the remaining few true Die Hard fans they have left. I'm not much on conspiracy theories, but there sure is something strange about this whole thing. I just hope to God the Orioles have not done something like that to Tony and the OH!

I doubt is as much of a conspiracy as it is more likely they had a chance to expand it at the last minute. Do you blame them for pulling back if we could expand the deal to get some more really good players? And even so, if we are expanding it, what are we sending back, could be a chance to dump some of our veteran contracts. You can't be mad at them in the end if that is what it turns out to be. For now all we can do is wait, and it will all make sense in hindsight.

Maybe I am being nitpicky, but since OH is not a journalistic institution, to the best of my knowledge they do not receive press passes to Orioles related events etc, you can post your "breaking news" a little more cautiously.

For instance, instead of posting "Roberts traded to Cubs", you can post "Sources: Roberts traded to Cubs". Much less misleading. I understand that your sources said it was 100%, and I understand that you really trusted your sources. But unless one of your sources is Andy MacPhail, Peter Angelos, Jim Hendry or Brian Roberts himself, its not recommended to report it as fact.

Anyways, this will probably sound like I am lecturing you. I am in no way telling you how to run your site. I really enjoy your site a lot, considering I am not even a fan of the team who is being discussed on the board. Just a helpful suggestion when you are 'breaking news' in the future.

Talk about getting your knickers in a wad!

Look I know you've had a rough 24 but that is no reason to go off half cocked when YOU misread something. I saw reports on ESPN and Chicago news sites yesterday morning stating the trade as fact and siting OH as the source. THIS IS NOT A NEWS SOURCE IS IT? That is why I said the NEWS AGENCIES that ran with the story were being irresponsible! Not you or the HO.Go back and read your own darn board! I have said nothing but positive and supportive things about you and the HO in this and all threads.

You sir are the one who needs to get your darn facts straight!

Actually, slowly but surely, this IS becoming a media outlet. When our posters are regularly interviewed for their Orioles knowledge, it is a news site. When you have the credibility of a guy like Roy Firestone behind your site, you certainly aren't a little old blog and message board anymore.

Most importantly, when you have reporters that work for your site, you tend to become news based. When you do all of the leg work on a story, and then you publish it as news, it's news. Tony did everything he was supposed to:

Two source confirmed information.

Inverted Pyramid writing style.

Used words like "according to" and "alleged".

I can keep going if you want....

Maybe I am being nitpicky, but since OH is not a journalistic institution, to the best of my knowledge they do not receive press passes to Orioles related events etc, you can post your "breaking news" a little more cautiously.

For instance, instead of posting "Roberts traded to Cubs", you can post "Sources: Roberts traded to Cubs". Much less misleading. I understand that your sources said it was 100%, and I understand that you really trusted your sources. But unless one of your sources is Andy MacPhail, Peter Angelos, Jim Hendry or Brian Roberts himself, its not recommended to report it as fact.

Anyways, this will probably sound like I am lecturing you. I am in no way telling you how to run your site. I really enjoy your site a lot, considering I am not even a fan of the team who is being discussed on the board. Just a helpful suggestion when you are 'breaking news' in the future.

It's my understanding that they do receive press passes. Can anyone clarify?

Wow, that's an interesting viewpoint.

Are you kidding? Having a bad day?

Speak for yourself about alienating fans. Also, why is it important to you that you identify yourself as "Die Hard"?

Actually, slowly but surely, this IS becoming a media outlet. When our posters are regularly interviewed for their Orioles knowledge, it is a news site. When you have the credibility of a guy like Roy Firestone behind your site, you certainly aren't a little old blog and message board anymore.

Most importantly, when you have reporters that work for your site, you tend to become news based. When you do all of the leg work on a story, and then you publish it as news, it's news. Tony did everything he was supposed to:

Two source confirmed information.

Inverted Pyramid writing style.

Used words like "according to" and "alleged".

I can keep going if you want....

On second thought I re-read your post, and realize you are actually blaming the Sun, et al.

I still would have to disagree, but that changes my argument completely. Again, I DO VIEW the OH as a credible media source, not just a blog on the interweb. Just me :shrug:

It's my understanding that they do receive press passes. Can anyone clarify?

We certainly do have press credentials. Majors, minors, the whole shebang. We've usually got someone in the press box and clubhouse for every game of the O's and their minor-league affiliates.

Well, earlier in this very thread, Tony posted:

The headline read:

Sources: Roberts Trade to Cubs

Notice sources in front? It was always there. I never said this was announced by anyone offical and made it clear this was two confirmed sources. If anyone read more into then that's not my fault.

And the OH does have press credentials, AFAIK--Paul sits in the press box for home games when he does his game recaps (and usually posts from there in the game threads too). I believe some of the guys covering the minor league teams have or had press passes too.

Archived