Trade Target: Billy Butler, DH

andrewrickli

The Orioles are said to have made a run at him last year.

However the price was high and KC didn't want to give up their MOO bat. Now, they have Hosmer producing, Perez, Maxwell, and Gordon to give them an average middle of the order with Power and OBP.

Buck is said to like Butler, but we all know how Buck feels about moving people in and out of the DH spot.

Here are some facts on Butler:

Career .365 OBP

High average hitter, and draws walks

.312/.401/.454 line with runners in scoring position

KC is said to be looking for help at 2B with Bonafacio being a question mark.

Would you consider sending a package with Schoop and a B level pitching prospect?

Some that say yes to that proposal probably are ok with Flaherty at 2nd LT and the folks who arent probably want Schoop at 2B LT.

What say you? Worth our time and resources or no? Last offseason everyone Butler, will the consensus change this winter?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He's a free agent after next season, right? And he's also the slowest player in baseball.

I don't care if he is slow, our team hits the long ball, as long as he gets on base (he does) he will help us score runs.

He scores more runs than Matt Wieters does if that says anything.

Would you consider sending a package with Schoop and a B level pitching prospect?

Absolutely not. Schoop has superstar upside, is a solid prospect aside from that, and is MLB ready. Butler would add little to an already-good offense, and is a FA in one year.

Not to mention, would KC really plan to start a prospect who may/may not be ready at 2B? They're basically all-in on the next season or two.

Absolutely not. Schoop has superstar upside, is a solid prospect aside from that, and is MLB ready. Butler would add little to an already-good offense, and is a FA in one year.

Not to mention, would KC really plan to start a prospect who may/may not be ready at 2B? They're basically all-in on the next season or two.

I was thinking more solid regular, occasional all star ceiling.

KC might have some interest in Danny-V as a more cost-effective alternative, and Butler would make him expendable. Maybe Valencia with your "B-level pitcher." I would much rather give up Valencia than our future 2B.

Isn't Valencia a free agent? If KC really wanted him, couldn't they sign him?

Isn't Valencia a free agent? If KC really wanted him, couldn't they sign him?

Valencia is not close to being a FA. He has less than 3 year of ML service. FA need 6 years.

One year of Butler for 6 years of Schoop is a trade the O's would never make.

I was thinking more solid regular, occasional all star ceiling.

I'll be making a post about this when I get a chance, but other players with similar age 20/21 performance include Robinson Cano and Brandon Phillips. It's not a likely scenario, but the upside is there.

It says he bats higher in the order then Matt does.

It says Wieters OBP was sub .300, I don't know what you logic is in the lineup.

In order to score runs you have to get on base. Butler does that, and subsequently he scores more runs than someone with a .289 OBP.

Archived