The Brady Workout Season has Begun

srock

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The best thing about the workout program was the Jobes rotator cuff strengthening program. The lifting was an absolute joke. First off, pitchers didn't touch a weight for their upper body but did maybe 5-6 exercises for their legs, abs/lower back. I'm talking 1-2 sets, 12-15 reps. Position players were able to do some upper body, again maybe 3-5 exercises, 3 sets, 10-12 reps. Granted it was the early 90s but wow! Luckily my HS coach believed in weightlifting. His standard, regardless of position, was for you to be able to bench press 20lbs over your weight for 8-10 reps. If you couldn't do that, you were in the doghouse..... (extra running at 7am at Sat morning practice).

Crossfit is a solid workout and makes you a generalist. At a certain point if you want more power and strength you have to increase the intensity and specialize a bit.

Brady focuses on power and speed.

I really appreciate you sharing your experience with this.

• 5 weeks later...
In Roch's latest:

Maybe additional power and stamina is just what Britton needs to get himself some consistency on the mound.'

Any word on who else is taking on the Brady Regimen?

Per Roch's latest entry, Tillman, Chen, Britton, Norris and Matusz are all working out with Brady. Also, Dave Wallace and Dom Chiti will travel to California to spend time with them after running the mini-camp for the younger pitchers. http://m.masn.mobi/school_of_roch/2014/01/notes-on-the-rotation-chen-and-the-upcoming-mini-camp.html

Per Roch's latest entry, Tillman, Chen, Britton, Norris and Matusz are all working out with Brady. Also, Dave Wallace and Dom Chiti will travel to California to spend time with them after running the mini-camp for the younger pitchers. http://m.masn.mobi/school_of_roch/2014/01/notes-on-the-rotation-chen-and-the-upcoming-mini-camp.html

Chen is a prime candidate for the needs more stamina quote. Nice if he could be solid for 7 instead 5.

And before anyone gets picky, yes I know he averaged just a hair under 6 per start last year. Doesn't mean that 6th inning was solid though.

Chen is a prime candidate for the needs more stamina quote. Nice if he could be solid for 7 instead 5.

And before anyone gets picky, yes I know he averaged just a hair under 6 per start last year. Doesn't mean that 6th inning was solid though.

Maybe, but I think 'ol Bud is a better candidate. Every time he was on the mound last year it was hard not to notice that double chin.

I think Chen worked out with Brady last offseason, too. In his interviews, he seems pretty keenly aware that he needs to get deeper into games to take his game up another notch. But really, just a little improvement in that area would make a huge difference. It's not like he never pitched well in the 6th, he just didn't do it consistently enough. And the 7th inning was a big problem.

Thats a great sign. The sooner they get minor league players in the workout program the more impact it will have system wide. This could be far more important (long term) then the 4-8 major league players who workout with Brady.

Chen's knee spur probably did not help his stamina in 2013.

http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/news/article/bal/chen-has-successful-right-knee-surgery?ymd=20131010&content_id=62803356&vkey=news_bal

I would like to know if Nolan Reimold is out there with Brady? I am still convinced that Nolan is an impact bat if he is healthy, and this would no doubt help to some degree in keeping him on the field. I hope Reimold is there.

Roch said Reimold would be in Sarasota when the minicamp is held, so I don't think he has been working out with Brady in California this offseason.

Roch said Reimold would be in Sarasota when the minicamp is held, so I don't think he has been working out with Brady in California this offseason.

I don't think Nolan has been back since he got married. The rehab thing took place the last two off seasons also would have been the priority.

Rarely post but always lurking. I wish the O's would look into some of the stuff Eric Korem is doing for the University of Kentucky football team. Here's an article on it:

http://www.kentucky.com/2013/03/16/2561017/erik-korem-the-face-of-kentucky.html

And the Youtube video talking about it:

Dang, and I only thought KY had a basketball team. :)

Archived