Same old Os offseason... sigh

MemorialStadKid

That's kind of my point, though. They were the big PR winners because everyone could give them credit for being "willing to go for it," even though -- as you point out -- there were a variety of question marks surrounding their entire haul.

True. I'm not really shocked by way the offseason is shaping up. More disappointed that the Yankees decided to ignore the budget and decide to go all in again. Back to third place at best expectations. The last two years were fun.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ok lets see, where do I begin.

McCann to NY- bolds well for us for the Wieters negotiations. Check

Peralta to Cards- A Biogenesis guy won't be coming to Baltimore to play out of position. Check

Tigers traded Fielder to Texas for an aging second baseman for an overweight power hitting first baseman. I will stick with our 50 HR Crush machine that mans first base for the Orioles. Check

Bourjos for Freese- The O's already have a solid outfield in AJ, Nicky, and hopefully bring back McClouth and hopefully spelled by Urruita who tore it up in the AZ Fall league. Freese is injury prone. Check

Anything else?

Bodes well. Just FYI and such.

True. I'm not really shocked by way the offseason is shaping up. More disappointed that the Yankees decided to ignore the budget and decide to go all in again. Back to third place at best expectations. The last two years were fun.

Are you kidding? Just because the Yankees signed one player does not make Jeter any younger, CC less fat, nor does it reverse the Tex contract and his declining numbers...it does not bring Rivera back from retirement. I, as should you, expect the Yankees to make moves like this and you should not let payroll envy get you down. Angels spent big and not even third world countries have their playoff tshirts (because they don't exist [because despite spending a boat load they still sucked])

There are also plenty of free agents that pan out for teams every year.There are more than 100 million dollar free agents available. Look at what the Red sox did last year. They signed good solid players but no superstars The problem is the Orioles do NOTHING every off-season. Koji couldn't be fit into the payroll. That's all you need to know. PA is a business man trying to maximize profit and that is all that he cares about

Since all the major free agents have signed* and the offseason trading deadline** is past, I think this thread is well-timed and non-reactionary. And I know MSK is certainly not the type of poster to cram his tired square-peg agenda into every available round-peg context. Here comes a third straight year of sub-.500 baseball!

* This hasn't happened.

** This isn't a real thing.

The Yankees have two starting pitchers right now - Sabathia and Nova. Sabathia did not look like himself last year and Nova is erratic. Of course they will sign some pitchers but can we at least wait to see who they get before declaring that they are bound for 2nd place (or better in the AL East)? Beyond that, the entire left side of their infield is a huge question mark. Tex will be 34, missed almost all of last season, and before that his offensive numbers steadily declined over the prior five seasons. Their corner outfielders right this second are Vernon Wells and a 40 year old Ichiro. Their bullpen right now is David Robertson and a bunch of spots up for grabs. If the Orioles had all of the question marks that the Yankees currently have, most people here would be declaring the season over already. One big name signing doesn't change things that dramatically.

I have never seen a franchise/fan base more in love with players on a mediocre team. This team finished out of the playoffs yet many want to bring back every player from that team. Roberts, Feldman, McClouth....yes, yes and YES! I've seen some of the most creative posts on here to justify the status quo.

I have never seen a franchise/fan base more in love with players on a mediocre team. This team finished out of the playoffs yet many want to bring back every player from that team. Roberts, Feldman, McClouth....yes, yes and YES! I've seen some of the most creative posts on here to justify the status quo.
I take it you've never been to cubshangout.com or brewershangout. 2013 wasn't mediocre unless you're using Yankees standards.

We had our second winning season in 16 years. The team was in the running for the playoffs until the final week. We played meaningful baseball in September. Again.

And I never said that I wanted Roberts or McClouth.

I will be surprised if we can afford Feldman.

We had our second winning season in 16 years. The team was in the running for the playoffs until the final week. We played meaningful baseball in September. Again.

I get that. This franchise has improved from the depths of hell they were in for over a decade. Should we, as a fanbase, be satisfied with this just because they were awful for so long or should we expect this franchise to do what it takes to go the next level? Signing the Roberts, Feldmans and McClouths of the baseball world doesn't do that IMO. You either have to A. Be aggressive in the free agent market and sign top end players or B. Have a talented scouting/development program and I think ours is below average.

Fans fall in love with crappy players on horrible teams all the time.

And generalizations like "This fan base is the most ____ fan base ever" are pretty weak. It's not like you've objectively judged all of them and came to that conclusion.

Fans fall in love with crappy players on horrible teams all the time.

And generalizations like "This fan base is the most ____ fan base ever" are pretty weak. It's not like you've objectively judged all of them and came to that conclusion.

If you're going to judge my post, at least quote me correctly. I said I never SAW a fan base more in love with players on a mediocre team. That is a true statement and does not require objectivity.

The Yankees have two starting pitchers right now - Sabathia and Nova. Sabathia did not look like himself last year and Nova is erratic. Of course they will sign some pitchers but can we at least wait to see who they get before declaring that they are bound for 2nd place (or better in the AL East)? Beyond that, the entire left side of their infield is a huge question mark. Tex will be 34, missed almost all of last season, and before that his offensive numbers steadily declined over the prior five seasons. Their corner outfielders right this second are Vernon Wells and a 40 year old Ichiro. Their bullpen right now is David Robertson and a bunch of spots up for grabs. If the Orioles had all of the question marks that the Yankees currently have, most people here would be declaring the season over already. One big name signing doesn't change things that dramatically.

Exactly. The Yankees aren't scary.

Archived