Same old Os offseason... sigh

MemorialStadKid

People keep bringing up the Blue Jays or Marlins as proof that signing FA's doesn't work. Then apparently' date=' what does work is signing 7 mid range FA's as the Red Sox did last off season indeed does work! So, how about the Orioles signing 7 mid range FA's? Works for me.[/quote']

The problem is, the names of those 7 mid range free agents will be McLouth, Roberts, Feldman, Casilla, Teagarden, Reimold, and Hammel. :D

The sad part is, I'm only half kidding. :o

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is the usual off season. The Orioles are rumored to be interested in some top free agent. Then a thread is posted on here about why the Orioles should or should not get top free agent. They never get any of those guys. Interest is one thing . Getting that person is another. Sort of like the computer geek interested in the hot blonde at work. Interested but never get her unless he is Bill Gates.

I heard from my sister's boyfriend's cousin air conditioner guy that Shin Soo-Choo has a crush on us...

By afford, I meant that his price tag has escalated, and I do not think that the Orioles have increased their budget the way we might all have hoped. I am concerned that Scott Feldman gets a three year 27 million dollar contract somewhere. I do not think that is in the Orioles budget as I see it.

Understood. My point is exactly that. If Scott Feldman is too rich for the Orioles blood then how do we compete with Boston and NY on a regular basis. I guess we can "be like Tampa" which is to say, go basically 10 years with a top 5 pick and have some luck.

Understood. My point is exactly that. If Scott Feldman is too rich for the Orioles blood then how do we compete with Boston and NY on a regular basis. I guess we can "be like Tampa" which is to say, go basically 10 years with a top 5 pick and have some luck.

Yep. Nailed it. Peter doesn't want to spend the money to win. Winning isn't as profitable as just being competitive. Losing was not good but the MASN money helped substantially. There is no motivation to get to the next level for Peter.

Yep. Nailed it. Peter doesn't want to spend the money to win. Winning isn't as profitable as just being competitive. Losing was not good but the MASN money helped substantially. There is no motivation to get to the next level for Peter.

I will concede that Peter can certainly put more into the team financially. I have been frustrated with this as well. However, we must consider the fact that he is not sole owner of the club. He is the majority owner but he must consider what the minority owner's wishes are as well.

I will continue to bang this drum.....the MLB needs a salary cap. Why it is acceptable to give a certain number of teams a leg up simply because of their location is ridiculous. The Ravens won the stinking Super Bowl last year. Why? There is a salary cap in the NFL. This allows teams like Baltimore who have a savvy GM to on a level playing field with everyone else. The Bears, Giants, Jets and Eagles don't have an advantage because of their location. BTW...it was very difficult for me to compliment the Ravens considering I'm a Steeler's fan but must admit Newsome is really good at what he does.

I will concede that Peter can certainly put more into the team financially. I have been frustrated with this as well. However, we must consider the fact that he is not sole owner of the club. He is the majority owner but he must consider what the minority owner's wishes are as well.

I will continue to bang this drum.....the MLB needs a salary cap. Why it is acceptable to give a certain number of teams a leg up simply because of their location is ridiculous. The Ravens won the stinking Super Bowl last year. Why? There is a salary cap in the NFL. This allows teams like Baltimore who have a savvy GM to on a level playing field with everyone else. The Bears, Giants, Jets and Eagles don't have an advantage because of their location. BTW...it was very difficult for me to compliment the Ravens considering I'm a Steeler's fan but must admit Newsome is really good at what he does.

I couldn't agree more. "It wont' work in baseball is BS" The real reason is all players involved in the current system are making a ton of money, why change it? Until attendance or their bottom line is hit, no way it happens. It stinks. Why Football passed baseball as the national pastime is because of the fairer playing field. Baseball just leaves you cynical with a bad taste in your mouth.

Yeah if Scott Feldman gets anywhere close to that I'll lose all faith in baseball economics. Referring to Scott Feldman as a major league pitcher is an insult to other, competent major league pitchers.

How is Scott Feldman not a competent major league pitcher? He had a 3.86 ERA last year in 182 innings.

As for the rest of this thread, same old same old. I've saved myself a lot of heartache by accepting that Peter Angelos is a cheap owner and that will never change. Learn to expect nothing. You were absolutely dreaming if you ever thought we had a shot at any premium free agent.

I couldn't agree more. "It wont' work in baseball is BS" The real reason is all players involved in the current system are making a ton of money, why change it? Until attendance or their bottom line is hit, no way it happens. It stinks. Why Football passed baseball as the national pastime is because of the fairer playing field. Baseball just leaves you cynical with a bad taste in your mouth.

People also don't remember that when Marc Cuban was trying to buy ownership of an MLB team... the other owners basically said they will never allow him to be an owner.. they were afraid of him spending like crazy to bring in the best talent and doing whatever it took to win a championship.

Angelos sees and treats the franchise as a business. If he's making a profit he won't change a thing. He knows how much money he will make at keeping the payroll to $100MM or less.

On the other hand you have a few select owners who just want to win and do whatever it takes.

We are going to hear the same BS that we have Manny, Jones, Davis, etc. but the bottom line is we finished T-3 in the division and we have serious holes. To repeat 2013 we need Manny and Davis to go nuts again the first half of the season and have potential record breaking numbers....

No reason we can't sign a quality free agent pitcher and DH and address the other holes LF/2B internally.....that should all be doable with keeping payroll below $125MM.

Yeah if Scott Feldman gets anywhere close to that I'll lose all faith in baseball economics. Referring to Scott Feldman as a major league pitcher is an insult to other, competent major league pitchers.
How is Scott Feldman not a competent major league pitcher? He had a 3.86 ERA last year in 182 innings.

As for the rest of this thread, same old same old. I've saved myself a lot of heartache by accepting that Peter Angelos is a cheap owner and that will never change. Learn to expect nothing. You were absolutely dreaming if you ever thought we had a shot at any premium free agent.

. That is actually a reasonable deal in this market for Feldy. I just do not see the Orioles going three years.

People keep bringing up the Blue Jays or Marlins as proof that signing FA's doesn't work. Then apparently' date=' what does work is signing 7 mid range FA's as the Red Sox did last off season indeed does work! So, how about the Orioles signing 7 mid range FA's? Works for me.[/quote']

Don't those sort of signings inspire eye-rolling around here, though?

The problem is, the names of those 7 mid range free agents will be McLouth, Roberts, Feldman, Casilla, Teagarden, Reimold, and Hammel. :D

The sad part is, I'm only half kidding. :o

And we only have room on the roster for three of them.

Think about what I just said.

Yeah. I went there.

People also don't remember that when Marc Cuban was trying to buy ownership of an MLB team... the other owners basically said they will never allow him to be an owner.. they were afraid of him spending like crazy to bring in the best talent and doing whatever it took to win a championship.

Angelos sees and treats the franchise as a business. If he's making a profit he won't change a thing. He knows how much money he will make at keeping the payroll to $100MM or less.

On the other hand you have a few select owners who just want to win and do whatever it takes.

We are going to hear the same BS that we have Manny, Jones, Davis, etc. but the bottom line is we finished T-3 in the division and we have serious holes. To repeat 2013 we need Manny and Davis to go nuts again the first half of the season and have potential record breaking numbers....

No reason we can't sign a quality free agent pitcher and DH and address the other holes LF/2B internally.....that should all be doable with keeping payroll below $125MM.

Well Angelos does keep ticket prices low. Nothing wrong with an owner trying to make money if I owned the team I would do the same.

You could look at what Fielder, Pujlos and Hamilton did last year and then think maybe free agency isn't the way to improve your team. The team has gotten better since DD has arrived and Angelos hasn't shied away from paying his own players what it takes to keep them.

Well Angelos does keep ticket prices low. Nothing wrong with an owner trying to make money if I owned the team I would do the same.

You could look at what Fielder, Pujlos and Hamilton did last year and then think maybe free agency isn't the way to improve your team. The team has gotten better since DD has arrived and Angelos hasn't shied away from paying his own players what it takes to keep them.

Have they resigned anybody yet?

We heard lip service that they were going to make it their #1 priority this off-season.

Seeing as how we don't need Peralta or McCann, it's hard for me to get upset over this...

Right. We need to keep our complaining bullets holstered until actually needed.

By the way, I do expect DD to pull the trigger on a couple of trades this offseason. Obviously he's trying to balance winning in the next 2 years with sustaining an organization that is competitive every season with budget constraints with upcoming salary negotiations. That is a lot to balance. I don't think DD intends to just play out the next 2 seasons and just lose Hardy, Wieters, Davis, Johnson, and Markakis to FA. At least I don't think he'll do that without adding some real pieces to go for it here.

I think he will definitely extend or trade at least 2 of Hardy, Wieters, Davis, and Johnson this offseason. I trust him to do the right thing.

Yeah, but..but...

The apologists will be back to attack you soon. Very soon.

Man, enough of this. Why is this an us vs. them thing? Cant someone disagree about how the team should be run without being labeled an "apologist"? I don't really mind MSK's point of view but the way you guys express it with such smug self-righteousness is getting old.

Archived