This weekend or Bust??????

Belkast

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we have until the end of the month... :D

Common sense and past history tells you that Jan 31 is a pretty good indicator...Many things don't happen, at least on a larger scale, once you get into Feb...Always exceptions to this but for the most part, it just doesn't happen.

Keep reading......Plenty of things about theories and strategies and how there is still time for us to do things...Shopay saying there is no deadline.

It has been said by several people, ad naseum, for a while now.

Also need to read between the lines.

For example...Fairfax Bird saying I am ripping AM for saying a deal hasn't gotten done...Obviously by saying that, FB thinks there is still time.

For the record, what I believe I have said a couple of times is that there is no pending, definitive, drop dead deadline (like July 31st) for completing trades. I stand by that. My point by making this statement is that, in terms of negotiating a trade, a true drop dead deadline allows the parties to have a better sense as to whether the other party is going to move on its offer. It provides definiviteness. We don't have that right now. Some think all trades have to be done by January 31st (SG), others by ST, who knows what each GM believes (we do know AM has done a lot of trades in February and March). Again, no clearly defined deadline to drive true bottom line offers can sometimes produce waiting games.

Also, to be clear, I have also posted that I think AM should get the trade of EB done before ST starts because of risk of inury. But I do understand the argument for waiting until July 31st. I made this post with the understanding that Adam Jones was in the offer.

SG is it more important to rebuild correctly or to just rebuild? If AM thinks he gets more or even probably gets more by waiting that is what he should do IMO. I however think it is unlikely that Bedard ever throws a pitch for the O's again, because the risks with pitchers are significant. I think there is less rush with Brob even though I think it likely gets done also. I think we unfortunately have to wait until the season starts to judge this offseason there is nothing that will change that.

SG is it more important to rebuild correctly or to just rebuild? If AM thinks he gets more or even probably gets more by waiting that is what he should do IMO. I however think it is unlikely that Bedard ever throws a pitch for the O's again, because the risks with pitchers are significant. I think there is less rush with Brob even though I think it likely gets done also. I think we unfortunately have to wait until the season starts to judge this offseason there is nothing that will change that.

Thanks for saying so much better than I could.

But here we are, getting close to the end of the offseason and a possible weekend deadlne to deal Bedard and maybe BRob and yet, nothing.

Do you see why people get antsy and jump on him now?

It is moving too slow...There is not one single freakin justification for a trade to take this long to get done.

Moving too slow for what?

Justification number one: teams are not giving you what you think you get or ultimately get out of them. None of the others matter after that one. When the first pitch is thrown in the season and we have our current roster I will think the offseason was very dissappointing, but until then we know nothing really about how it is going.

For the record, what I believe I have said a couple of times is that there is no pending, definitive, drop dead deadline (like July 31st) for completing trades. I stand by that. My point by making this statement is that, in terms of negotiating a trade, a true drop dead deadline allows the parties to have a better sense as to whether the other party is going to move on its offer. It provides definiviteness. We don't have that right now. Some think all trades have to be done by January 31st (SG), others by ST, who knows what each GM believes (we do know AM has done a lot of trades in February and March). Again, no clearly defined deadline to drive true bottom line offers, which can sometimes produce waiting games.

I don't think there's a deadline but I do think McPhail will continue to represent the end of January as our deadline. In hindsight, I'm not too surprised that he hasn't made a deal yet given his public position about the end of January.

My guess is that something might get done on one or both players by this imaginable deadline and, if not, he will represent that deals are off the table. Then, only if other people come to us with very strong offers would a deal get done between Feb and ST. Once ST starts, only an injury or major offer would facilitate a deal, IMO. The next time frame is the mid-season trade deadline.

I do think it's possible that McPhail's self-imposed deadline could result in the O's taking quantity over quality. In that case, Seattle or others would need to do something like a 5 for 1 or 6 for 2 deal for Bedard. This might actually be better for the O's IMO.

But here we are, getting close to the end of the offseason and a possible weekend deadlne to deal Bedard and maybe BRob and yet, nothing.

Do you see why people get antsy and jump on him now?

It is moving too slow...There is not one single freakin justification for a trade to take this long to get done.

IMO we should forget about trading Roberts or Bedard. Keep them till their contracts expire and get draft picks for them. Thats better then getting other teams crap for them.

To trade Bedard? I say this weekend sounds about right.

Some of you don't seem to get that these teams have to start focusing on other things.

Yep, the O's and other teams will have to fill holes.

I'm really discouraged by this. I think the value of EB and BR will only get worse. Nobody is going to trade ML ready players during the year (unless they are low ceiling guys) and next offseason their value is even less then it is right now, unless they have fantastic injury-free years.

I don't think there's a deadline but I do think McPhail will continue to represent the end of January as our deadline. In hindsight, I'm not too surprised that he hasn't made a deal yet given his public position about the end of January.

My guess is that something might get done on one or both players by this imaginable deadline and, if not, he will represent that deals are off the table. Then, only if other people come to us with very strong offers would a deal get done between Feb and ST. Once ST starts, only an injury or major offer would facilitate a deal, IMO. The next time frame is the mid-season trade deadline.

I do think it's possible that McPhail's self-imposed deadline could result in the O's taking quantity over quality. In that case, Seattle or others would need to do something like a 5 for 1 or 6 for 2 deal for Bedard. This might actually be better for the O's IMO.

You may very well be right. But as I indicated to SG yesterday, perhaps AM's self-imposed deadline is just being used as an attempt to create an artifical trade deadline with other teams. Who knows. I know there are times when I have negotiated deals and communicated deadlines that are not real to try to move a deal along.

Moving too slow for what?

Justification number one: teams are not giving you what you think you get or ultimately get out of them. None of the others matter after that one. When the first pitch is thrown in the season and we have our current roster I will think the offseason was very dissappointing, but until then we know nothing really about how it is going.

Fine...If teams aren't offering enough for Bedard, you take him off the table and move on to other things....We have to do more than just trade Bedard and BRob...I hope you all realize this.

If the right offer isn't there, tell the teams to piss off and get other things done!

Yeah I don't even think that's joke... I am also under the impression that if any news comes out of the Warehouse, it's on a week day.

Neither rain nor sleet nor snow keeps Andy from moving very slow. I think it is time to stop predicting what will happen. if it happens we will have something to talk about.

Fine...If teams aren't offering enough for Bedard, you take him off the table and move on to other things....We have to do more than just trade Bedard and BRob...I hope you all realize this.

If the right offer isn't there, tell the teams to piss off and get other things done!

In fairness, we don't know that that's not what's going on right now. MacPhail seems to have sealed up all the leaks in the warehouse. Who knows what they're working on in there?

So much for this report huh?

According to ESPN 1000 in Chicago, the Cubs and Orioles have reached a tentative agreement on a trade that would send Brian Roberts to the Cubs for at least three players. It sounds iffy because no players are known but it is believed that they are holding off on announcing it until this weekends Cubs Convention

The day's not over yet....

Archived