Duquette: "I like our starting rotation."

Hank Scorpio

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You have to agree with DD on this one. Look how bad the Starting rotation was before he got here. It was absolutely the worst. I mean we had guys starting that had no reason to be in the majors. We have Tillman, Chen, Gonzalez, and Norris. Tillman didn't start coming around until DD got new instructors helping him the other 3 he acquired. MacFail in 4 years didn't do anything for our staff.

We need one more starter as Gausman isn't ready. So hopefully DD can get someone who can throw a ton of innings. And Gausman can spend the year in Triple A coming up with a third pitch or if not make him our closer.

A couple of thoughts.

1) I don't see how DD can say anything other than he likes his rotation. He liked his closer too until he shipped him off and honestly, it was the right thing to do. (That doesn't mean that the replacement will work better or worse)

2) People keep posting on adding this guy or that guy to be #5 or even as a #3 to "round out the rotation". That is not gonna work. Take a quick perusal of the playoff teams from this year and look at the rotations. Check their numbers. Then look at where the Orioles have been. We need someone to place ahead of Tillman and it is maddeningly obvious that Matt Garza is a perfect fit. Adding a mediocre innings eater may well keep us above .500, but it will not improve our standing in the most competitive division in baseball.

3) Personally, I think we spend too much energy worrying about the size of the payroll. I honestly believe that the issues that need to be addressed by this team can be addressed without blowing through $100 Million or so. That said, I agree with everyone else that it would be great to jump to a much higher number. But the Orioles payroll is high enough to be successful.

4) DD has delivered two winning teams and has done so by making the playoffs when picked to finish last and finishing out of the playoffs after being picked by some to finish first. While this obviously justifies people being nervous about our future, can't we at least get to mid January or so before letting the walls fall in.

5) Regarding #4, this offseason will go a long way towards determining the future of the Orioles and the Era of DD and Buck. Now I ask you to glance backwards and look at where we were, and then at where we are. I am more than willing to grab a pitchfork, but for right now, I am willing to trust that DD can get this done, regardless of the payroll.

6) Did I mention that Matt Garza does not cost us a pick?

You have to agree with DD on this one. Look how bad the Starting rotation was before he got here. It was absolutely the worst. I mean we had guys starting that had no reason to be in the majors. We have Tillman, Chen, Gonzalez, and Norris. Tillman didn't start coming around until DD got new instructors helping him the other 3 he acquired. MacFail in 4 years didn't do anything for our staff.

We need one more starter as Gausman isn't ready. So hopefully DD can get someone who can throw a ton of innings. And Gausman can spend the year in Triple A coming up with a third pitch or if not make him our closer.

NLDS hurler (Sweaty) Freddie Garcia can give you innings and at a reduced rate.....:scratchchinhmm: Bronson is a bit too pricey for this team.

I mean... what's he going to say? He does have 4 SP on contracts. He personally traded for Norris, so he must like something about him. And Tillman, Chen, and Gonzo are pretty solid, all things considered. There's just no #1 guy. Or #5 guy at the moment.

Exactly right. So when the Orioles offense hit a dry spell in the second half of the season and couldn't muster more than 2-3 runs in some games, there was no stopper who could pitch shut out or 1-2 run baseball.

Archived