Are we giving Urrutia a fair shake?

25 Nuggets

All Henry has to do is hit better than .706 OPS and he'll be an upgrade in LF. I bet he can do that even if he is just a singles hitter.[/

Why are you bringing logic into this convo?

Sorry knee jerk reaction. Let me do it again. Didn't the guy lose time trying to defect? Shouldn't we factor that into his projections ? Yeah he's older but he's doing a pretty good job getting rid of that rust. I don't think his spray charts are an accurate picture of what this guy will do against ML pitching. I trust Fred.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Exactly what I'm saying , give the kid's a shot . Both of them could be pretty good pick-up's , let's see what they have to offer. If Urrutia or whoever sucks I'm not sleeping on Borbon , he could probably put a .240 avg with 20 steals in extended action and plus D. Let's get a starter or two, I'm hoping Floyd is coming here even though reports are he is not .smh

If he hit 315/335/390 with no speed and below average defense, is that valuable?

Good question. That would be a .725 OPS, according to El Gordo unless you're a middle infielder or catcher that is unacceptable.

It'a kind of hard to find a good comp for that slash line from 2013. Victor Martinez hit .301/.355/.430 for a .785 OPS and only put up 1.2 WAR. Michael Young hit .279/.335/.395 for a .730 OPS with atrocious defense and had -1.3 WAR (ouch).

My guess is that slash line with below average defense would equate to a replacement level player.

I just don't get how people are so negative toward Hank. He was out of baseball for 2 years. He probably didn't even get to work out. He gets thrown into AA destroys it. Hit well in AAA is doing great in the Fall league and winter ball. He got 58 bats in the majors as a DH and they were spread out. We signed the guy for a reason and he has shown he can hit the ball everywhere he placed him. He deserves to show whether he can do it at the big level. I am glad they got rid of Nate. He was faultering last year. I know Nate can't produce at the level I want out of a corner outfielder.

Here's Urrutia's spray chart against types of pitches. Notice how many he just serves into left field that are hard. That might be enough to keep his batting average respectable, but he won't provide much power with this approach.

plot_hc_spray.php?player=625329&startDate=01%2F01%2F2007&endDate=12%2F13%2F2013&s_type=16&var=count&b_hand=-1

Even the breaking balls are landing in left. I have no idea what that means though. I like lamp though.

Well I am sure if he wasn't allowed in the United States until he was 26 he wouldn't have 1048 hits by he the time he turned 27. Rod didn't hit all that well his first year in the bigs though.

Oh? Carew was 6th in the league in batting, and was an All-Star and Rookie of the Year. I'd say that's pretty good for a 21-year old kid.

Archived