Per Rosenthal: Balfour (FINALLY) to Orioles...

xian4

You get Balfour, an upgrade from JJ for 2-3 years , Webb, a solid RP, Weeks a possible UT, plus a PTBML. How is that a lateral move?

I don't think it is. It's exactly what DD called it- a reallocation of resources. Very similar to when he moved Guthrie for Hammel and Lindstrom (and turned Lindstrom into Saunders).

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Beyond 2/14, the JJ justification sort of goes out the window. 2/16 if I'm feeling generous, which I'm not.

Balfour , Weeks , Weeb and the Player to be named later >>>>>>>Johnson.

I guess the season will tell whether Balfour is an upgrade. I understand your point but could we not have still gotten Webb and an utility player for not that much money?
Are you doing that and keeping JJ at 10M? Are you saying there was a better deal out there for JJ? If so why would DD have turned it down? If we signed an Axford or Perez on the cheap, and used the money saved for a SP, would that be enough to get us a Jimenez, Garza or E.Santana?

Welp, I'm already sick of this ----.

All that's left now, regardless of a resolution to the Balfour situation, are quotes from DD along the lines of "we had some productive conversations concerning trades and free agents, and we're going to continue those blah blah blah." Oh, and of course there'll also be DD's justifications for selecting a huge project in the Rule V.

What a circus.

Should the Orioles start flipping other players then for more depth and cheaper options?

In some cases, yes. They can't afford to pay the going rate for wins at every position. They have to optimize their investments in a handful of players and complement them with role players. Translation: They need more and better young starting pitching.

We shall see. Balfour could turn into Kevin Gregg. Weeks can become an everyday minor leaguer. I don't mind they got rid of Johnson but they need more upgrades. Also Balfour is not on the team yet. Is any other of the relievers left better then Johnson?

Maybe Benoit. That would likely be it.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23orioles&src=hash">#orioles</a> still talking to balfour. o's prefer 2 years. believed to be 1 other team in mix.</p>— Jon Heyman (@JonHeymanCBS) <a href="

">December 12, 2013</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Archived