Did Roberts want out of Baltimore?

Ommaculate

I still can't believe Unitas was traded. Everything else is about a magnitude of 1,000 times less important (to me).

It is rather unbelievable. I wasn't too thrilled with Frank Robinson or Eddie Murray being traded, either, but nothing compares with trading Johnny U after what he did for that franchise.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I still can't believe Unitas was traded. Everything else is about a magnitude of 1,000 times less important (to me).

Yeah, I almost mentioned that as an example, but decided to keep it in baseball. I felt bad for Johnny U. in San Diego--that he was too far past his prime to show the fans there what he was all about. From Eddie on the Dodgers down to Orsulak on the Mets--when fans of those teams asked, I told them they were going to love what they got.

It is rather unbelievable. I wasn't too thrilled with Frank Robinson or Eddie Murray being traded, either, but nothing compares with trading Johnny U after what he did for that franchise.

Even more unbelievable when you consider Irsay traded the Rams to Rosenbloom for the Colts because he was a big Unitas fan. But you get my point. Once you accept that, Brian Roberts leaving is like a fly buzzing in the distance, so far away that you can't hear it.

Care about him? Be real, most fans don't know Brian Roberts from Adam. Why would I care if he is happy or not? He is no longer an Oriole. It makes no difference to me what happens to him now. Brian Roberts cares about Brian Roberts and, I care about Oriole players, of which he is no longer one.

Clueless post.

1. "Robbing" something is generally considered an intentional, pre-meditated act. I'm sure Brian's injuries were not and that he would have rather been playing for his salary instead of rehabbing, especially when the team was fighting for a post-season berth.

2. The Orioles strongly implied that they were not committed to Roberts. I'm sure he heard a lot of complaints about him displacing Flaherty--and there is also now J. Weeks to outplay. Why head into another ambiguous situation--ironically, like competing with Jerry Hairston again, a decade later--when he seems to have a much better opportunity elsewhere? A player wants to play. He and his wife are probably dreaming of a glorious season in New York--really can't blame them.

This is a great post. Quit blaming Brian Roberts for looking out for #1. He wants to play the sport that inspires him a little longer so he went to a team that actually wants him, and will give him a shot. I'd be wanting out of Balt too if they signed 4 guys to compete with me for a job, plus hearing all the negativity towards him for "stealing" $40 million. Get over it ppl. You cant change it now anyway, the money is gone so just move on.

This is a great post. Quit blaming Brian Roberts for looking out for #1. He wants to play the sport that inspires him a little longer so he went to a team that actually wants him, and will give him a shot. I'd be wanting out of Balt too if they signed 4 guys to compete with me for a job, plus hearing all the negativity towards him for "stealing" $40 million. Get over it ppl. You cant change it now anyway, the money is gone so just move on.

First, I don't think any Oriole fans are upset over BRob going elsewhere.

Second, There may be a few moronic fans that actually think Roberts "stole" $40MM from the Orioles.... but the majority have moved on years ago.

We have limited payroll and we found a few guys that could give us the same production as BRob for a 1/4 of the cost. IMO I thought Roberts would retire, I honestly didn't think he would be happy being a bench player.

Frank was traded, Boog, Paul Blair, Eddie...players leave for many reasons...it is ok

First, I don't think any Oriole fans are upset over BRob going elsewhere.

Second, There may be a few moronic fans that actually think Roberts "stole" $40MM from the Orioles.... but the majority have moved on years ago.

We have limited payroll and we found a few guys that could give us the same production as BRob for a 1/4 of the cost. IMO I thought Roberts would retire, I honestly didn't think he would be happy being a bench player.

The percentage of moronic fans that thought Roberts "stole" 40 mill. from the Orioles is fairly high on this site I'd say. And there are TONS of ppl that are not over it, obviously just for the fact that it gets brought up in nearly every thread about him.

It also doesn't sound like he will be a bench player in NY

The percentage of moronic fans that thought Roberts "stole" 40 mill. from the Orioles is fairly high on this site I'd say. And there are TONS of ppl that are not over it, obviously just for the fact that it gets brought up in nearly every thread about him.

It also doesn't sound like he will be a bench player in NY

It's the same handful of people claiming highway robbery. He got injurred get over it.

He may be the "starter" but they have a lot of depth and I am sure they are not counting on him to play 100+ games.

It's the same handful of people claiming highway robbery. He got injurred get over it.

He may be the "starter" but they have a lot of depth and I am sure they are not counting on him to play 100+ games.

Yeah, that is probably correct. He was my favorite Oriole for years and i hope that he does well, just wish it could be for an NL team

I wouldn't underestimate Roberts. Once he gets on the Yankees training regiment and shows up to Spring Training playing like he's 10 years younger he will be the starter.

I wouldn't underestimate Roberts. Once he gets on the Yankees training regiment and shows up to Spring Training playing like he's 10 years younger he will be the starter.

I think this is a real possibility. Whether he'll last the whole season is another question, as it was last season for Hafner, Overbay, etc., who started out revitalized, but then faded.

Archived