Did Roberts want out of Baltimore?

Ommaculate

Are you being serious? You wanted him back? BRib signed with the Yankees. Big

deal. If the Yankees want to play a 35 year old to play second then let them. I

don't hate on BRob for going to the Yankees. It's his business. Not yours or mine

not anyone else's. You should be happy. This does save the O's ten million. And

maybe Schoop will have a chance at second base. IMO

I only disagree with the bolded. Brian saved us only 2 mill. Maybe 2.5 to beat the Yanks offer.

What he really saved us was just what you said, saves us playing a 35 y.o. and opens up the spot for Schoop. OR Flaherty. ;)

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are you being serious? You wanted him back? BRib signed with the Yankees. Big

deal. If the Yankees want to play a 35 year old to play second then let them. I

don't hate on BRob for going to the Yankees. It's his business. Not yours or mine

not anyone else's. You should be happy. This does save the O's ten million. And

maybe Schoop will have a chance at second base. IMO

I said if the Orioles do NOTHING else this offseason to add a good hitter (which is likely) I would have liked to have Roberts back just to DH. I didn't want him playing the field. He was the best hitter on the team last September. The Yankees are a contender for the World Series and they think Roberts can help them. Also it's a slap in the face to the fans for him to go to the Yankees. Anybody but them.

I said if the Orioles do NOTHING else this offseason to add a good hitter (which is likely) I would have liked to have Roberts back just to DH. I didn't want him playing the field. He was the best hitter on the team last September. The Yankees are a contender for the World Series and they think Roberts can help them. Also it's a slap in the face to the fans for him to go to the Yankees. Anybody but them.

He had a 756 OPS in Sept/Oct.

Valencia had an 857, heck Wieters had a 758 OPS.

Brian only has half his value as a DH for us. Yanks have a hole at 2nd base. Brian's lost several steps at 2B but he's still a legit MLer. He has a lot more value to them than us. NOT because "they're the Yankees so they must be right." ;)

Brian Roberts as a DH? I'm as sentimental as the next guy, but it the Orioles / Brian Roberts "break up" is long over due. I wish him the best, but his best days are clearly behind him and the odds of him staying healthy are roughly the same as me winning the lottery. Who knows, maybe we'll eventually see him back in Baltimore in a coaching capacity, but it won't be as a player.

I remember one of our posters reported that he/she was still at the ballpark about 45 minutes after the final game, and Roberts went on the field in street clothes with his wife, baby and other family members and they were taking photos of him out at second base with the Warehouse and Baltimore skyline in the background. Obviously Roberts knew there was a good chance he wouldn't be back in Baltimore in 2014, so it's not surprising he cleared out his locker.

I've found it interesting that he hasn't spoken to the media since joining the Yankees.

It true. We were there and watched all.

Is it possible playing time had a large role here? Without Cano the Yankees have about the biggest hole at 2B in the league, and it looks that if healthy Brian has a pretty good chance of playing everyday. Maybe with Flaherty and Schoop around on a team that's looking to get younger he didn't feel like he could have that here.

I can't decide if the anger in this thread is sad or hilarious.

Reading most of these responses I would think Brian Roberts personally stole $40M from every Marylander's bank account then hosted a nationally televised speech to insult every Orioles fan's mother and to announce that in his opinion the Baltimore skyline is ugly and Natty Boh tastes like Billy Cundiff's pee.

I'm sure there will be a few boos when Brian returns and I don't mind that given his new uniform. What I don't get is the HOW DARE HE attitude and the interpretation that he was some sort of fraud all along.

This is what I'm thinking. They all clean out their lockers but the media only notices guys who's contract is finished. I don't think Brian cleaning out his locker is significant at all.

I also don't think it's particularly significant for Brian and family to take pictures after the last game. He very well could have (and now has) played his last game for the only team he has ever known. Of course ANY player would do that.

What's the bottom here? If the Orioles had wanted Roberts back, they would have made an offer. They didn't and he signed with another club. The Orioles weren't interested. That's their mistake in my opinion, but it was their choice. Duquette never mentioned Brian while discussing the future of the Orioles, making it clear where he stood. If you're unhappy Brian is with the NYY, blame the Orioles. If you're thrilled Brian's with another club, congratulate the Orioles.

Is it possible playing time had a large role here? Without Cano the Yankees have about the biggest hole at 2B in the league, and it looks that if healthy Brian has a pretty good chance of playing everyday. Maybe with Flaherty and Schoop around on a team that's looking to get younger he didn't feel like he could have that here.

Maybe but he may have misplayed his Buck card.

What's the bottom here? If the Orioles had wanted Roberts back, they would have made an offer. They didn't and he signed with another club. The Orioles weren't interested. That's their mistake in my opinion, but it was their choice. Duquette never mentioned Brian while discussing the future of the Orioles, making it clear where he stood. If you're unhappy Brian is with the NYY, blame the Orioles. If thrilled Brian's with another club, congratulate the Orioles.

I've said before, I don't think DD was at all interested in BRob. And I hold no animosity. Brian wanted to play still and got a deal. Good for him! I hope he strikes out 73 times against us this coming year.

At the end of the day, Brian Roberts, like most other players, was going to go where he was going to have the best shot at playing every day or close to it. Once Cano signed with Seattle, it opened up that opportunity and he was going to take it. That coupled with a GM who to the best of my recollection never out and out said he was going to work to bring him back, and then brought in 1001 (exaggeration) second base candidates, and it's a pretty cut and dry situation that your previous employer isn't interested. What baffles me is how a lot of the same people who didn't want him back and thought he fleeced the Orioles and never should have gotten playing time last season are now the ones complaining about anything related to this story. Who cares what his reasoning was, where he went, whether the Orioles wanted him back, etc., if you didn't want him back, you got your wish, let that be the end of it. I swear only some Orioles fans could complain and be salty over a move that they wanted, when there are far more concerning elements of this apparent train wreck of a franchise to worry about.

At the end of the day, Brian Roberts, like most other players, was going to go where he was going to have the best shot at playing every day or close to it. Once Cano signed with Seattle, it opened up that opportunity and he was going to take it. That coupled with a GM who to the best of my recollection never out and out said he was going to work to bring him back, and then brought in 1001 (exaggeration) second base candidates, and it's a pretty cut and dry situation that your previous employer isn't interested. What baffles me is how a lot of the same people who didn't want him back and thought he fleeced the Orioles and never should have gotten playing time last season are now the ones complaining about anything related to this story. Who cares what his reasoning was, where he went, whether the Orioles wanted him back, etc., if you didn't want him back, you got your wish, let that be the end of it. I swear only some Orioles fans could complain and be salty over a move that they wanted, when there are far more concerning elements of this apparent train wreck of a franchise to worry about.

Who said they never wanted Roberts back and are complaining now? I always used to post I wanted Roberts back if the Orioles had a bad offseason and acquired nobody better which looks to be happening before our eyes.

Haters gonna hate.

Archived