Why National League Pitchers will NEVER come to the AL East

weams

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I do love the top four pitchers in our system.

Gausman

Bundy

Rodriguez

Harvey

Wright

And that does not even take into consideration MacFarland, Berry, Kline and Davies.

That's five, but who's counting?

"Make a left."

The driver starts to turn right ........

"The other left."

Gausman

Bundy

Rodriguez

Harvey

Wright

And that does not even take into consideration MacFarland, Berry, Kline and Davies.

I like em too, but I also liked the Calvary....and I also liked the Ponson and Cabbrera bunch...and I also liked a bunch of groups before that.

Until a group of these guys all come up and succeed, they are nothing but unproven prospects, and prospects don't win you the AL East.

That said, the group of free agents stunk this year, which is why Duke should have had a plan to bring in an overpriced guy in a salary dump trade and take on his salary and keep our players. Instead, he did the opposite with JJ, and has signed a bunch of no names and used to be's as system depth.

Depth is fine, but it doesn't win many Major League games.

I like em too, but I also liked the Calvary....and I also liked the Ponson and Cabbrera bunch...and I also liked a bunch of groups before that.

Until a group of these guys all come up and succeed, they are nothing but unproven prospects, and prospects don't win you the AL East.

That said, the group of free agents stunk this year, which is why Duke should have had a plan to bring in an overpriced guy in a salary dump trade and take on his salary and keep our players. Instead, he did the opposite with JJ, and has signed a bunch of no names and used to be's as system depth.

Depth is fine, but it doesn't win many Major League games.

As I have said. I am not a fan of our off season.

What offers have you been told were made? I thought you never discussed baseball matters with your "friends"?

Did I say it was someone from the club? I'm sorry. I do have friends, and we talk a lot about baseball. There are people in the organization that I hold in high esteem. Several of them have been very friendly to me.

I must say I never take advantage of my relationships just to give a scoop. It is just not that important. Whether it be with a friend or a "friend."

Hot Stove scoops are quickly replaced with the next news. I feel bad for those folks who have to make themselves important by chasing rumors without being paid.

I think trading for a big contract guy is the right move.

That's an option and one it sounds like we explored with with Jeff Z from the Cubs. The problem is the cost for these types of guys is really high. But, the Nats were able to get something done to add a guy like Fister. I was willing to go in on Matt Kemp as an offensive addition and role the dice with the young pitching. That would have created an elite offense if Kemp comes back healthy. Also, Kemp gives us another long term piece post 2015 if we were to lose Wieters and Davis. A core of a healthy Kemp, Jones, and Manny is solid to go along a nice collection of arms in the system. Kemp comes with some risk but its one approach.

That's an option and one it sounds like we explored with with Jeff Z from the Cubs. The problem is the cost for these types of guys is really high. But, the Nats were able to get something done to add a guy like Fister. I was willing to go in on Matt Kemp as an offensive addition and role the dice with the young pitching. That would have created an elite offense if Kemp comes back healthy. Also, Kemp gives us another long term piece post 2015 if we were to lose Wieters and Davis. A core of a healthy Kemp, Jones, and Manny is solid to go along a nice collection of arms in the system. Kemp comes with some risk but its one approach.

I think I read that the Cubs and JS were not seeing eye to eye in arbitration OR a long term deal. Perhaps they would be open to listening to offers again.

What offers have you been told were made? I thought you never discussed baseball matters with your "friends"?

You do know that DrShorebird speaks with Dan Duquette almost daily this time of year right? You do know that Craig has access to every nook and cranny of the Orioles facility. Right? You do know that Tony has most Orioles executives and staff in his phone. Right?

Gausman

Bundy

Rodriguez

Harvey

Wright

Yeah, but when the top 4 pitchers in our system were Matusz, Tillman, Britton, and Arrietta, did you love them too?

We have not drafted and developed a starting pitcher capable of being a quality major league starter in a rotation for 4+ seasons, since Mike Mussina who we drafted well over two decades ago.

Hope it changes but I'm going to have to see it happen before I start drooling over guys coming through our farm system. Been down that road too may times, had Lucy pull the football away at the last minute over and over again.

was willing to go in on Matt Kemp as an offensive addition and role the dice with the young pitching. That would have created an elite offense if Kemp comes back healthy. Also, Kemp gives us another long term piece post 2015 if we were to lose Wieters and Davis. A core of a healthy Kemp, Jones, and Manny is solid to go along a nice collection of arms in the system. Kemp comes with some risk but its one approach.

There is a lot of internal concern that Kemp will ever perform well again. It's the Grady Sizemore risk. High upside. And you pay for it with Kemp.

I guess it's just me but in addition to

Gausman

Bundy

Rodriguez

Harvey

Wright

I really like Tilly, Chen, and Gonzo. I bet the MFY would be happy to send us CC plus a ton of cash for two of those three. My problem with the O's pitching was the other 11 guys who started 78 G and won 27 with 25 QS. Maybe we could do something about them?

Archived