O's won't let lost draft pick keep them from pursuing free agents

Greg

Gausman's projection surely has much bigger error bars, but either way, I'm firmly in favor of keeping the pick.

We are a fringe contender at best. We need some things to break our way in a big way and that means giving a long leash to our high-upside players, not plugging in veteran workhorses at market value.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The perfect time never comes.

If the FO and Buck truly believe that adding one or two of the available free agents will put them on a reasonable path to the World Series, they should pull the trigger. There are no sure things either way, but at this particular time in the history of the Baltimore Orioles, the possibility of adding a player who might be great in a couple of years is not an acceptable tradeoff for winning now.

If the opportunity really is there, it must be seized.

If Gausman is truly ready to put up a 3.90 ERA in the majors, he'll blow away AAA hitters, right? So, let him do that. Then we have a good problem. If we sign Santana, that gives us depth. In a bad scenario where one of our four starters gets injured, now we have Gausman to step in and replace them. In another scenario, where everyone is healthy and pitching well, we can actually trade one of our starters and you know what, anyone of them is going to fetch something worth a lot more than a 17th overall pick in the draft.

I completely agree. I also think the two Latin players DD signed recently can be argued as high draft picks. The rotation could use a guy to eat innings like Santana. Outside of Tillman no one in the current rotation is a 200 inning guy. And Tillman will give you his fair share of 4-5 inning starts. I'm not crazy about losing a 1st round pick. But for a year I can live with it.

I didn't understand his comment that the Orioles didn't have many pitching prospects after Gausman. Bundy, Rodriguez, Harvey, Berry, And Wright are the main reason we are 10th to 12th in rankings as he points out in the article.

I agree that this comment made no sense in the article. Also the Adam Dunn idea. God help us! Thank God this writer is not our GM.

I don't believe there is a two year window. Instead, a new window could be opening if Bundy and Gausman progress the way we hope they will. Of course, those two and Machado were top 6 picks. Those are the premium type picks that give you the best chance of getting impact players. Losing picks hurts but the odds of getting impact ML talent at 17 and later are long. I have no problem giving up the picks and taking the hit this year. Now, here is the caveat. Using the money saved on those picks (3M?) to sign a Cuban or Korean or maxing out their international pool money would ease the hit taken on the domestic draft. Isn't Urrutia at 775K the equivalent of a 2nd round pick or maybe even a 17 pick? Certainly, a team like the Orioles doesn't want to make a habit of giving up picks, but right now we look like we could be recouping 2 or 3 in the next 2 years also.

For every Mike Trout, which is like finding a needle in a haystack, there are dozens of Chris Marreros, Julio Borbons, and Jemile Weeks, former round picks picked up for next to nothing this winter. Look no further than form overall #1 pick Delmon Young and former #4 overall Brian Matusz to see what a crap shoot the draft can be. There is strength in numbers and giving up the picks hurts but it shouldn't prevent the team from making FA moves this time.

I do not believe in the window. I do want good picks. The draft is a crap shoot and good organizations reload all the time. The rules are different now though then they had been for many of those teams. You can't really accumulate 7 supplemental picks in a draft any longer. To reload really means to re-build for a couple years. I am not ready to do that.

International space is a nice avenue for acquiring talent. It does not make up for losing draft pick. Competitors are utilizing both draft and international -- Baltimore needs to, as well. Baltimore is not "out working" the competition internationally to the point they carry some acquisition advantage.

Losing picks would have been a lot easier to swallow if Baltimore had gone after, say, McCann or Ellsbury first. If you want to do it at this point, fine, but grab two or three guys to help dull the loss in the aggregate.

If it's two, with your third round pick go hard after the signability drop and punt your 4th/5th/6th to get your money to sign him (college senior catcher, college senior lefty, college senior shortstop). Work to acquire 2015 competitive balance pick(s) via trade this summer.

The perfect time never comes.

If the FO and Buck truly believe that adding one or two of the available free agents will put them on a reasonable path to the World Series, they should pull the trigger. There are no sure things either way, but at this particular time in the history of the Baltimore Orioles, the possibility of adding a player who might be great in a couple of years is not an acceptable tradeoff for winning now.

If the opportunity really is there, it must be seized.

Fantastic post.

I think the Orioles signing a good player with the pick is remote. People state Trout but the OS could have picked Trout and passed. Look at DD's first round picks past 12 in Boston. Odds are we aren't.giving up anyone. We have picked guys in top 5 who did nothing.

Only one of those teams with a first round supplemental pick awarded this year is the Indians.

Huh? I think you are confused by the terminology. Maybe you are only considering competitive balance lottery picks?? In any event, you are incorrect.

Reds (for Choo)

Braves (for McCann)

Red Sox (for Ellsbury)

Cardinals (for Beltran)

Indians (competitive balance)

all have picks between 1st and 2nd Round

still potential to get picks in supplemental first:

Rangers (for Cruz)

Red Sox again (for Drew)

Cleveland (for Jiminez)

Archived