Dan Duquette can't get the financial go-ahead from owner Peter Angelos to meet Morales' asking price

Greg

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now we know that PA doesn't interfere with his GM's any more, and DD has full autonomy within his budget, so that part is false. But a return of the prodigals for Morales and Cruz makes a lot of sense. Then TEX and SEA could swap them, since each would rather have the other.

That's overlooking a deeper issue though. Is DD not given the freedom to build the team as he sees fit, is there something going on that is tightening the budget, etc.

That's a good point, but every GM works under some kind of restraints. There are only a few that have a blank checkbook. For me, it would all depend on the cost. I would not care as much if the draft pick were not involved, but handing out a big contract and losing the pick is a big double whammy if it does not work out.

Unless Pete is saying we need a starter more and we don't have the money to get Morales and Santana so concentrate on getting a pitcher.

I don't think he is meddling to that level. That borders on roster management, and I am pretty confident that would not happen at this point.

Because Dan and Buck would advocate such a thing, being smart baseball guys. Extension talk would never originate from Angelos. He's simply guy with the big veto stamp (that's showing a lot of wear lately).

I am not sure "smart baseball guys" are unanimous in their support for a Hardy extension.

Guest rochester

After the whole Burnett fiasco and over reaction, I am not sure what to believe anymore. Who the heck would leak this? Morales's agent? Now, I could see DD going in there and telling him "Here's our best offer, and my total authority, I will not go back to ask for more." I do have a questions, is Cafardo a legit unbiased reporter from Boston?

Archived