Schoop a big, strong man

Slade-OH

I don't want to take him off second until we have to. He loses a bunch of value if he plays 3rd. Machado to short' date=' and Schoop at second...until they show they can't do it. Too much potential value.[/quote']

Not if he can handle the D and hit for some power.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jonathan Schoop and his mispelled and/or mispronounced last name is reportedly clocking in at 230 pounds this Spring and none of that is baby fat according to Buck....

Shoop shoop ba-doop

Shoop ba-doop

Shoop ba-doop ba-doop ba-doop

What would cause a stress fracture in your back? Is it impact or was it too much lifting?

Can be either one. It is called a stress fracture typically because it us not normally caused by an impact injury of falling, getting hit, etc. The body is put into a position where too much load is placed on the bone and the stress causes it to break. Lack of calcium and other minerals (think eating disorder or 3rd world country) can be a contributing factor. A baseball or repetitive golf swing with excessive loading and rotational force can be a cause. Increased core stability along with better flexibility can be very beneficial. Looking at the pictures posted I wouldn't worry about his current weight. He will lose some it is a long season. Some extra reserve early may be beneficial.

Can be either one. It is called a stress fracture typically because it us not normally caused by an impact injury of falling, getting hit, etc. The body is put into a position where too much load is placed on the bone and the stress causes it to break. Lack of calcium and other minerals (think eating disorder or 3rd world country) can be a contributing factor. A baseball or repetitive golf swing with excessive loading and rotational force can be a cause. Increased core stability along with better flexibility can be very beneficial. Looking at the pictures posted I wouldn't worry about his current weight. He will lose some it is a long season. Some extra reserve early may be beneficial.

IIRC you're a doctor?

Like I said... drink your milk. Does a body good.

I don't want to take him off second until we have to. He loses a bunch of value if he plays 3rd. Machado to short' date=' andSchoop at second...until they show they can't do it. Too much potential value.[/quote']

I agree that second base demands a more versatile athlete than does third, and that typically third base profiles more as a power position, but the overall offensive production around the league for second and third basemen is basically a wash. In most years they are separated by 5 points of wOBA or less, both featuring regulars with relatively average bats. This is reflected in fWAR, which credits both second and third basemen with 2.5 runs in positional adjustment.

Third base is where Schoop can grow into his size and power potential while relying on instincts and arm strength defensively, so I'd prefer to see him land there.

Schoop is kind of underrated on here in a way. He gets unfairly compared to Machado's production at a young age. Even in his own country he's been behind Simmons, Profar, Bogearts on the top prospect lists. His back injury is a concern at such a young age. He played alot of baseball that caused that. Minor leagues. Summer league. Then the WBC. Then Spring Training. Hopefully he'll be healthy and will allowed to produce pressure free in Norfolk and have a big first half of the season. He's in the same boat with Urrutia and Gausman. It would be awesome if they put it together this year but we're not make or break if they don't.

I do not there is a clear correlation between weight and quickness. Yes often the more you weigh the more difficult it could be to maintain quickness. The key is flexibility. If you add a flexibility and core strengthening program like yoga into your workout routine, you'll be just fine maintaining your quickness and durability.

With Schoop's back problem, I really hope he put a strong emphasis on flexibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We will resign Hardy and Manny will stay at third. I hope Schoop is as good a second baseman as Buck says he is.

Buck has been on record as saying he believes Schoop has a future with the Orioles as their starting baseman, but when he said that last year, he cautioned fans that it might not come as soon as the fans wants. But, he does envision this happening at some point.

And Flaherty's value is a utility guy, IMHO. Don't get the love of him. His defense in 2012, as I recall, was average. Yes, he appears to have played good defense last year. But the bat? Very unproven, and if proven, streaky would be the upside explanation.

I hope Schoop takes the job ASAP. And he would certainly be a better future 1B candidate than Flaherty.

I definitely would like schoop to take the job due to far greater upside. Further, I'll admit I was down on flaherty as the rule 5 guy wasting a bench spot in 2012. I've since changed my tune on that move. I still stand by my position that the team was right to give pt to Roberts last season. All that said, I think Ryan has tremendous value as a utility guy going forward (as much as a utility guy can have). A lh bat with some power who can play pretty much every position but cf (I'll say 1st, 2nd, 3rd, ss as the positions he can provide above-replacement level defense) is a very valuable asset. Allows us to give guys a rest more often, lineup flexibility, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived