Good news about Urrutia

Tony-OH

Doubt it. Cuba is not the lovely Oasis you imagine.

The original comment was about the Cuban diet vs. the American diet, not about whether it is an "oasis." Though in fact, Cuba is an ecological oasis because it has not been decimated by hyper-industrialization and agro-chemical pollution.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Also, American athletes tend to eat pretty healthy. I imagine that he was well indoctrinated.

Maybe some do. Michael Phelps "starts the day with a hearty breakfast consisting of three fried-egg sandwiches, three chocolate chip pancakes, a five-egg omelette, three sugar-coated slices of French toast, and a bowl of grits (maize porridge).

His lunch doesn't get much smaller as he devours half a kilogram of pasta over lunch, two large ham and cheese sandwiches covered in mayonnaise and gallons of energy drinks.

For his final meal of the day, he finishes off the remaining kilogram of pasta, followed by pizza and more energy drinks.

To begin with how would you know what I imagine? Secondly have you ever been to Cuba. What what do you base these assumptions on? Are Cuban ballplayers noted for being emaciated? Maybe the average Cubans doesn't get to eat as much as he'd like, but I'd bet their ballplayers aren't undernourished. I don't know what their diet is, but it can't be worse than the typical American diet.

Cubans eat the most beans, per capita, of any country in the world. Beans are high-protein food. It's more likely that Urrutia's weight gain is the result of chemical supplements than food intake.

I'd be interested to see whether anyone commenting on Cubans being "undernourished" has actually been to Cuba to see the ballplayers in person. Though I would wager against that possibility.

Did you get more argumentative lately, or am I imagining things?

For some reason, Urrutia had physical growth potential when he arrived to America. Assumptions aside, the reason doesn't matter. All that matters is that he's got room for physical growth and he seems to be putting in the time and effort. Yay, O's.

El Gordo has always liked to argue about points large and small. I agree we need to forget about taking these these "20 pounds of muscle" quotes literally. If Urrutia has been working out, eating well and getting stronger, it's all good. By the way, he wasn't in Cuba since September 2011, so no need to argue about his Cuban diet. He was in Haiti from September 2011 until March 2013, not playing high level baseball and probably without access to good workout facilities, trainers or advisors. Also, he didn't play in Cuba in 2011 because he was suspended for trying to defect in 2010. I'm not at all surprised that he was able to get stronger this offseason.

Cubans eat the most beans, per capita, of any country in the world. Beans are high-protein food. It's more likely that Urrutia's weight gain is the result of chemical supplements than food intake.

I'd be interested to see whether anyone commenting on Cubans being "undernourished" has actually been to Cuba to see the ballplayers in person. Though I would wager against that possibility.

Guilty. Never been there, was just assuming from the whole Russian satellite thing. Bread lines etc.

I'm naive and probably ignorant about these things, but I never understand how players that train everyday, lift huge weights, run miles and miles, stretch and mold every muscle in their bodies, and are in the "best shapes of their lives" still pull hamstrings and strain themselves swinging the bat.

Hopefully he's not eating an "American diet". high in red meat, saturated fats, grains, and sugar. He might be better off with a Cuban diet.
Doubt it. Cuba is not the lovely Oasis you imagine.
To begin with how would you know what I imagine? Secondly have you ever been to Cuba. What what do you base these assumptions on? Are Cuban ballplayers noted for being emaciated? Maybe the average Cubans doesn't get to eat as much as he'd like, but I'd bet their ballplayers aren't undernourished. I don't know what their diet is, but it can't be worse than the typical American diet.
Did you get more argumentative lately, or am I imagining things?

For some reason, Urrutia had physical growth potential when he arrived to America. Assumptions aside, the reason doesn't matter. All that matters is that he's got room for physical growth and he seems to be putting in the time and effort. Yay, O's.

I'll be the first to say that El Gordo tends to be argumentative, but in this particular instance, this was a very good (and non-argumentative) post.

Weams (my good friend, and my favorite mod) made presumptions about both El Gordo's thought process and Cuban athletes' diets, and El Gordo responded accordingly.

Archived