Good news about Urrutia

Tony-OH

One of the biggest concerns about Henry Urrutia by some scouts, including myself, was that Urrutia didn't have a ton of bat speed and that would limit him at the major league level. So it was good to read that Jim Presely has seen a difference already after and offseason in teh weight room.

"When he showed up here this time last year, he probably hadn't eaten very well, hadn't been in the weight room," Presley said. "Now, he's got 10 months of being able to do that and I think it's helped him. He's put on 20 pounds of muscle himself. He looks really good. It looks like he's stronger. It looks like he can handle the bat a little bit more. He's got more bat speed, so good for him."

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2014/02/presley-talks-about-schoop-urrutia-and-reimold.html

Now it's spring training and coaches always seem to gush over players in the spring, but it'll be interesting to see if Urrutia changes his approach due more strength and possibly more bat speed.

If he starts driving good fastballs to right field, he will quickly add to his ceiling and could be a true option for full-time right field next year if his defense improves as well (assuming the Orioles don't pick up Markakis' option).

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not sure I get this, but glad to hear he put on some muscle.

There are a few posters in other threads who are apoplectic about the frequent mentions of Markakis, Urrutia, etc. putting on x lbs of muscle. They say it's impossible, and it probably is. Urrutia probably gained 20 lbs and transformed his body to a large extent, but it's not technically 20 lbs of muscle.

You're a troll. Just admit it. ;)

There are a few posters in other threads who are apoplectic about the frequent mentions of Markakis, Urrutia, etc. putting on x lbs of muscle. They say it's impossible, and it probably is. Urrutia probably gained 20 lbs and transformed his body to a large extent, but it's not technically 20 lbs of muscle.

You're a troll. Just admit it. ;)

In Urrutia's case I'd say it is possible given he was underweight due his predicament.

On the other hand, all anyone can really know is what the scale says. 20 pounds is 20 pounds. Stronger is stronger. Doesn't mean he gained 20 pounds of muscle, it means he gained 20 lbs and he is stronger; therefore, a good amount of that 20 lbs is muscle mass.

Nitpick over. ;)

We'll see how it translates in his results, but it is nice to hear Urrutia is at a much better place physically than he was when he dominated the minors.

Nice to hear about Schoop as well. Interesting to hear the comments about changing Schoop's stance after he's been in the organization for so long.

I am a big fan of Urrutia. I like his approach at the plate and I think the added weight in the offseason will help him out a lot. I'm not sure how much of an opportunity he will get this year but I'm hoping he gets a legitimate shot at a starting corner OF spot next season.

Urrutia just needs consistent AB's. There is no reason for him to be the 4th OF'er on this team. He either needs to win the LF job or go to AAA. However if both Lough and Henry look solid I could see them both on the major league team but let's face it, Henry as to have a hot spring with the bat because of Lough's defense.

I don't know what everyone's obsession with claiming that 20 pounds of lean muscle isn't possible in 10 months. That's 2 pounds a month. Entirely possible without "help". Good grief, people.

right? Sounds like a buncha Stalins are judging him

Archived