MLB continues to be information technology idiots.

tntoriole

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've had Next Def issues on my mac before, especially when using Firefox.

Honestly, if you've already spent $125 on MLB.TV, just get a Roku. I bought one a year ago with Netflix in mind, but once I discovered I could use it to stream MLB.TV it was a difference maker. I've hardly ever had any problems with MLB.TV on the Roku. I'll never watch a game on my laptop again if I have the choice.

Since I've gone cable free, this is my first year with MLB-TV and combining it with my Roku 3, works GREAT! Works GREAT! Works GREAT!

I also own a Roku 2 XS on another TV, but haven't tried it on that device.

Just one more thing. When you go to try to see the highlights of a spring training game (but Selig and MLB do this for every game) and you must watch the same 30 second DisneyLand ad for EVERY SINGLE HIGHLIGHT, it just can make you want to scream. MLB never, ever, ever has ads you can skip, nor do they ever, ever, ever have ads less than 30 seconds and they stick the ads on the front of EVERY single highlight, not just let you enter the highlight section once, watch the ad, and then let you navigate through the highlights from the same browser entry...oh no, not MLB.

Just one more thing. When you go to try to see the highlights of a spring training game (but Selig and MLB do this for every game) and you must watch the same 30 second DisneyLand ad for EVERY SINGLE HIGHLIGHT, it just can make you want to scream. MLB never, ever, ever has ads you can skip, nor do they ever, ever, ever have ads less than 30 seconds and they stick the ads on the front of EVERY single highlight, not just let you enter the highlight section once, watch the ad, and then let you navigate through the highlights from the same browser entry...oh no, not MLB.

The navigation on MLB.com/video is indeed crap... but it has absolutely nothing to do with MLB.TV

• 3 weeks later...

Trying to watch Yankees and Houston on MLB. TV streaming....awful quality, just awful (except for the commercials which are relentless and which, of course, stream perfectly.) I may not be able to justify this entire season if this quality continues to suck this bad.

Trying to watch Yankees and Houston on MLB. TV streaming....awful quality, just awful (except for the commercials which are relentless and which, of course, stream perfectly.) I may not be able to justify this entire season if this quality continues to suck this bad.

You are aware of course that the commercials aren't streaming, which is why the quality is better.

You are aware of course that the commercials aren't streaming, which is why the quality is better.

The commercials are not downloaded to my machine's hard drive...streaming is video data being delivered to an enduser by a provider in a continuous stream. They are not live streaming and thus the compression and delivery demands are different but both commercials and baseball video are included in the stream from MLB.TV to the Internet to my computer.

The commercials are not downloaded to my machine's hard drive...streaming is video data being delivered to an enduser by a provider in a continuous stream. They are not live streaming and thus the compression and delivery demands are different but both commercials and baseball video are included in the stream from MLB.TV to the Internet to my computer.

You are correct, I should have been more clear I meant that it is not live streaming, but the point still stands. The transmission is simpler, hence the improved quality.

I am having no problem streaming the free game of the day, the quality is near perfect. I suspect that your problem is with your internet service provider.

You are correct, I should have been more clear I meant that it is not live streaming, but the point still stands. The transmission is simpler, hence the improved quality.

I am having no problem streaming the free game of the day, the quality is near perfect. I suspect that your problem is with your internet service provider.

I stream a number of other sites simultaneously with no glitches. MLB TV is frequently the outlier in stream quality. And at the prices they charge, you should get better reliabilty and quality, imho. But i am a baseball "hooower" as the late ralph cifaretto might say...

I stream a number of other sites simultaneously with no glitches. MLB TV is frequently the outlier in stream quality. And at the prices they charge, you should get better reliabilty and quality, imho. But i am a baseball "hooower" as the late ralph cifaretto might say...

tnt, several others have tried to point this out to you. the other instances of quality streaming that you mentioned are streaming pre-recorded content, not live content. The difference is still astronomical at this point. I know you complained that the commercials are streaming better than the actual event. The commercials, like netflix content, amazon content, hulu content, youtube content, etc.. are not live content like the game is.

That said, there might be ways to improve the quality of the stream that are within your control. (I'm watching the MD women advance to the final four on my roku box right now. But I would be throwing my ultrabook against the wall if I was trying to watch the same content with the same internet access through it. That's espn's watchespn roku channel.) I'll help if I can and I know there are some more tech savvy folks than me who might see this and can help...

What kind of internet access do you have?

On what devices would you like to watch the games?

Where would you like to watch the games?

tnt, several others have tried to point this out to you. the other instances of quality streaming that you mentioned are streaming pre-recorded content, not live content. The difference is still astronomical at this point. I know you complained that the commercials are streaming better than the actual event. The commercials, like netflix content, amazon content, hulu content, youtube content, etc.. are not live content like the game is.

That said, there might be ways to improve the quality of the stream that are within your control. (I'm watching the MD women advance to the final four on my roku box right now. But I would be throwing my ultrabook against the wall if I was trying to watch the same content with the same internet access through it. That's espn's watchespn roku channel.) I'll help if I can and I know there are some more tech savvy folks than me who might see this and can help...

On what

I bought one of those cheap Roku 2 wifi models over the holidays. It streams MLBTV perfectly.

On what

I appreciate the feedback and support...but I am not a novice. I have been involved professionally in videoconferencing developing telemedicine applications for twenty years. I eventually do get MLB TV working satisfactorily, but I have a large bandwidth feed to my home. I have been a subscriber to MLB TV every year since they originated the service. I think they should be able to deliver a better and more consistent product...i understand others disagree and respect that different people have different experiences. But thanks for your offer of assistance...i may yet take you up on it if i pull out the remaining hair..lol.

I bought one of those cheap Roku 2 wifi models over the holidays. It steams MLBTV perfectly.

Yeah the Roku 3 came out before the holidays for roughly $100. (easy to find it for $90.) and the price of the Roku 2 (also a good product) dropped to roughly $50.. I was desperate to get it because I cut the cord from cable last fall.

For those wondering, the roku box is completely independent of your laptop or other devices (like their new usb stick or chromecast), thus freeing you up to surf or whatever on said device. I have no problem streaming through the roku 3 and streaming online content at the same time on my other devices. I have the roku connected to my router with an ethernet just to help things that much more, but I don't think it's necessary (though it can only help).

Yeah the Roku 3 came out before the holidays for roughly $100. (easy to find it for $90.) and the price of the Roku 2 (also a good product) dropped to roughly $50.. I was desperate to get it because I cut the cord from cable last fall.

For those wondering, the roku box is completely independent of your laptop or other devices (like their new usb stick or chromecast), thus freeing you up to surf or whatever on said device. I have no problem streaming through the roku 3 and streaming online content at the same time on my other devices. I have the roku connected to my router with an ethernet just to help things that much more, but I don't think it's necessary (though it can only help).

I use Roku as well which works better, but also like to use my Ipad or Mac...when my wife insists on watching House of Cards..lol. The Roku is more consistent, I agree.

Archived