Brian Roberts, Jim Johnson and Grant Balfour watch.

Ommaculate

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wouldn't have put him in a 0-0 tie in the 9th. I always think that's a lame time to use your closer. Especially the first appearance in front of the home fans. You want it to be an exciting thing.

I said the same thing when the O's were in the playoffs and got a ton of grief. But I agree with you and still stand by my belief that they are closers for a reason. Not holders, not extenders, closers. Let the bashing recommence.

I said the same thing when the O's were in the playoffs and got a ton of grief. But I agree with you and still stand by my belief that they are closers for a reason. Not holders, not extenders, closers. Let the bashing recommence.

That was a tough situation, though. The O's had already used four pitchers and the Yankees had just used C.C. They needed a shorter game and in that situation, you don't want to leave one of your best bullpen bullets in the chamber.

IMO the debate about whether or not it's dumb to use designated closers can be totally separate from HOW you use your designated closer once you've made the decision to have one.

In this situation, with your entire bullpen ready to go, there's no real reason to burn a Jim Johnson inning in a 0-0 tie. Use him to close, not to stay tied.

Well you warm him up in case you get the lead in the top of the ninth. After warming him why would you not bring him in? Anyway who cares? Jim Johnson was horrible last year we are lucky he isn't on our team. At least A's fans know to boo the guy.

I wouldn't have put him in a 0-0 tie in the 9th. I always think that's a lame time to use your closer. Especially the first appearance in front of the home fans. You want it to be an exciting thing.

I was at the game. He was warmed up when the A's had bases loaded and one out. Melvin put him out there to start the inning because that's who was warmed up and ready to go at that point. And if Johnson is supposed to be your best reliever, than it's not a terrible idea to put him out in a high leverage situation. It just didn't work out.

Also, I don't understand all the hate towards Johnson. Every pitcher gives up runs and loses games. It's frustrating for sure, but Johnson over the past three years had sub 3 ERAs while pitching exclusively in high leverage situations. It's not easy to find a reliever that can do that year to year while facing both righties and lefties.

Archived