Orioles, Rays and Mets all talking to Mariners about Nick Franklin

Greg

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Duquette was very clear just the other day that they were focused on adding to this year's team before they were going to work on extensions for anyone.

He earlier said Hardy extension would def be addressed by ST. Addressing by NOT addressing?

I like this alot. Franklin would be a great acquisition, and even though I love Hardy, I think an extension for him is a bad idea. Schoop also seems like he's outgrowing 2B and is best suited for 3B (which he could be excellent at).

I really want to hold onto EdRod, mostly because he's our only legit LH starting pitching prospect and I don't think Chen is going to be here once he hits free agency. If we can get it done for lesser players than EdRod, I'm all over that. If it takes EdRod, then only if Hardy is really an unreasonable extension based on his demands (which I think he might be).

Franklin could be the leadoff hitter this team doesn't really have in the system. He doesn't steal bases, but his walk rates have been very good in the minors. He's probably a .250/.330 kind of guy with decent power right now, which will play at leadoff if he develops further. If not, good hitter to have toward the bottom of the order.

All in all, it'd be a very smart move for the future that could also greatly improve the team this year.

Very logical target for this organization. The Orioles will need payroll flexibility going forward if they expect to extend a bat like Davis and build around their core. Having solid, young, cost-controlled options at 3 infield positions makes that much easier.

Extending hardy at 3/40 or so may not be awful in a vacuum, but it's just another hamper on payroll flexibility. Enough of those and it's very difficult to field a deep, competitive team.

There's a strange feeling with Hardy. You have to wonder why there are no extension talks when DD said he was going to do so. Maybe they really don't want him long term. Maybe they do want Flaherty as a super-sub. I'm all for adding good players so long as the plan makes sense. I'm also not as high on ERod as some of you. I'm not sure I see anything that special about him.

Very logical target for this organization. The Orioles will need payroll flexibility going forward if they expect to extend a bat like Davis and build around their core. Having solid, young, cost-controlled options at 3 infield positions makes that much easier.

Extending hardy at 3/40 or so may not be awful in a vacuum, but it's just another hamper on payroll flexibility. Enough of those and it's very difficult to field a deep, competitive team.

This is spot on. I'm drooling over an infield of Davis, Franklin, Machado, Schoop around the horn. Davis will be the only one to cost big money now, and that's about as young and talented of an infield as you are ever going to find.

There's a strange feeling with Hardy. You have to wonder why there are no extension talks when DD said he was going to do so. Maybe they really don't want him long term. Maybe they do want Flaherty as a super-sub. I'm all for adding good players so long as the plan makes sense. I'm also not as high on ERod as some of you. I'm not sure I see anything that special about him.

Yeah: every time I see him pitch, he gets shelled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Franklin and Schoop are statistically similar prospects. Franklin is a year older and spent that year doing just OK in the majors (which given his age is still quite good).

Adding another Schoop would be great and as other posters have suggested a Schoop/Machado/Franklin/Davis infield could be something special. However, infield and especially middle infield is a position of strength in the organization both at the MLB level and in the minors. I'm not sure it should be a high-priority target.

I think Eduardo Rodriguez is of similar value to Franklin, but I'm not sure trading makes sense for the Orioles. I'd rather have the pitching prospect, even given the relative depth of the O's farm. That said, I wouldn't be upset by a trade like that.

I endorse this move. I endorsed it a few weeks ago too (not that I take credit for anything).

As much as I like Flaherty, I would loooove it if he actually was the backup at 2nd, 3rd, SS rather than potentially having a down year.

This offseason the Os have made moves that have enabled the starters at a lot of positions slot into where they should be, and slot the starters who would have been starting prior to those moves back into a role of support. If you follow me. That could happen again with the acquisition of Franklin - by legitimately pushing Flaherty down to a backup role where he becomes muuuch more valuable.

Heck, maybe the M's want Flaherty too. His flexibility and power and pricetag probably intrigue other GMs not nicknamed Duke or Thumb.

Archived