Orioles, Rays and Mets all talking to Mariners about Nick Franklin

Greg

EdRod is 21. 21 in AA. Lefthanded. Good stuff.

Franklin is 23 and played over 100 games in the majors at age 22. He's got about a 10% BB rate in the minors and majors, and has been rated around the same level that EdRod was on top prospect lists. Make no mistake, he's still a prospect. But a major league ready one, unlike EdRod.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Rival exec: <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Mariners&src=hash">#Mariners</a> continue to look for RH bat. Might only deal Franklin if they can fill that specific need.</p>— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="

">March 25, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Rival exec: <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Mariners&src=hash">#Mariners</a> continue to look for RH bat. Might only deal Franklin if they can fill that specific need.</p>— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="
">March 25, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

RH bat for what position? They have about a million corner OF/1B/DH types already. I thought they needed pitchers?

We have Pearce, Young, and Reimold, I'm sure we can send them one of them. Sounds like an even trade to me :D

RH bat for what position? They have about a million corner OF/1B/DH types already. I thought they needed pitchers?

We have Pearce, Young, and Reimold, I'm sure we can send them one of them. Sounds like an even trade to me :D

Send them Delmon Young and Steve Lombardozzi.

• 3 years later...
On 3/13/2014 at 10:05 PM, Bundy said:

What about Zach Britton for Franklin?

On 3/13/2014 at 10:27 PM, CA-ORIOLE said:

This is what I was thinking, but it'll need to be more than just Britton.

Bump...fun thread to revisit, on the news that Franklin was released by the Rays today.    There also was talk in the thread about trading EdRod for Franklin.   It just goes to show you how young players' stock goes up and down. Britton for Franklin...,shudder.   

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Bump...fun thread to revisit, on the news that Franklin was released by the Rays today.    There also was talk in the thread about trading EdRod for Franklin.   It just goes to show you how young players' stock goes up and down. Britton for Franklin...,shudder.   

All the prospects, even the pitchers without MLB success, are only that. Until they become stars. 

29 minutes ago, weams said:

All the prospects, even the pitchers without MLB success, are only that. Until they become stars. 

People are paid a lot of money to try to determine who will succeed or fail.    But it's not a science.   

25 minutes ago, Frobby said:

People are paid a lot of money to try to determine who will succeed or fail.    But it's not a science.   

Not even close. And some of the folks have just made a cottage industry of trying to say that they really do know. Heck. The Mets turned down Britton for Ike Davis. 

Just now, weams said:

Not even close. And some of the folks have just made a cottage industry of trying to say that they really do know. Heck. The Mets turned down Britton for Ike Davis. 

How were they supposed to know that the strike zone was going to drop?

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

Looking back yeah Britton for Franklin would have been a bad trade. But, would the Mariners have made Britton a closer? Would Britton have eventually found it as a SP? Britton may have flamed out with the Mariners. DD deserves alot of credit for seeing something in Zach as a closer. Zach should be thankful too. DD has made him a ton of money going forward most likely.

4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

How were they supposed to know that the strike zone was going to drop?

How does anyone know if that will affect Britton. You think everyone is just going to stand there and take 4 sinkers that may or may not be called a ball? The strike zone isn't called the way it's up posed to before, why would it be now?

3 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

How does anyone know if that will affect Britton. You think everyone is just going to stand there and take 4 sinkers that may or may not be called a ball? The strike zone isn't called the way it's up posed to before, why would it be now?

Not quite sure what you are saying but the strike zone that was called last year is more accurate than the strike zone from say 2012.

14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Not quite sure what you are saying but the strike zone that was called last year is more accurate than the strike zone from say 2012.

I'm saying pretty much every ump has their own version of the strikezone. And that's to assume guys just take Britton sinker. I've seen alot of swings at his sinkers that ended up nowhere near a strike. So how much will it really hurt Britton? It's hard to say. 

6 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

I'm saying pretty much every ump has their own version of the strikezone. And that's to assume guys just take Britton sinker. I've seen alot of swings at his sinkers that ended up nowhere near a strike. So how much will it really hurt Britton? It's hard to say. 

OK, don't really disagree with any of that but it's kinda the opposite of the original point.  That point being that Britton has benefited from the lower strike zone.

We don't even know right now if the strike zone is actually going to be changed.

Archived