When are we allowed to get excited about Wieters?

SticksandStones

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cleveland could have kept him but they wanted nothing to do with him and they knew him well. I think we may end up regretting not signing Arroyo.

Yeah, it could be bad. Isn't Arroyo getting clocked too? Kazmir and Feldman appear to be the big misses at the moment.

When are we allowed to get excited about Wieters?

When he goes an entire season without making a single error while winning both the Triple Crown and the M.V.P., bats .444 in the A.L.D.S. and the A.L.C.S., and hits the game-winning home run in Game Seven of the World Series.

Until then ........ meh.

Ok back to Wieters. Awesome that he's hitting the crap out of the ball right now. We need it and I'm pretty thrilled. Hope it lasts. I mentioned in another post (something that I read/heard) that Presley may have used Clevenger's swing to help Wieters make adjustments from the left side.

Ok back to Wieters. Awesome that he's hitting the crap out of the ball right now. We need it and I'm pretty thrilled. Hope it lasts. I mentioned in another post (something that I read) that Presley may have used Clevenger's swing to help Wieters adjust from the left side.

In the broadcast last night, it was mentioned that he is working on getting his front foot down earlier from the left side, as getting his foot down early is what makes him so effective from the right side.

Like I said in the OP, his stance is completely different than the past. I'm sure there will be slumps, but if he gets his hands through the zone like he has been the first 11 games, I see prolonged success in his future.

I'll get excited when he only starts 8 out of every 10 games. Any more than that and he will wear down, as he has in the past.

Really, you mean less than 8 out of every 10. 80% of 162 is 130 games. Wieters started 134 last year, 132 the year before, so he is barely over 8 out of 10.

Well, we were the only team willing to go 4 years, so it was clearly an overpay. I wouldn't call all overpays errors though. We'll have to wait and see imo.

No, I don't think there's anything at all wrong with overpaying under the right circumstances. And I certainly didn't criticize the Jimenez contract (nor did I weigh in on it) when it was given, so of course any criticism I make now is a bit harsh and fraught with at least a little bit of ex post facto bias. But, as it turns out, the circumstances seem to be pretty close to the opposite of the "right" circumstances.

No, I don't think there's anything at all wrong with overpaying under the right circumstances. And I certainly didn't criticize the Jimenez contract (nor did I weigh in on it) when it was given, so of course any criticism I make now is a bit harsh and fraught with at least a little bit of ex post facto bias. But, as it turns out, the circumstances seem to be pretty close to the opposite of the "right" circumstances.

Yeah, it doesn't look good right now. No debating that.

I like his new batting stance. He's too tall not to crouch down some in his stance. When he stood straight up, he seemed to not be able to get down to the pitches lower in the zone and would roll over them and ground out to 2B a lot.

Appears that Matt is also loading his hands much lower as well, helping him center or get under the ball and therefore mitigate many of those weak roll-over ground balls to 2B.

From recent ESPN.com Sweetspot article on early trends

At least for two weeks, Wieters has used the center of the field as his primary means for reaching base. From 2011 to 2013, Wieters pulled 43 percent of the balls he put in play and hit 28 percent of them to center field. This season, he’s reversed those numbers, pulling 29 percent and centering 41 percent.

The result of that has been more line drives. Last year, Wieters totaled 15 line drives to center field as a left-handed hitter. In the first two weeks of the season, he’s already got seven. The effort to pull the ball less often is a route that Torii Hunter went last season with modest success. We'll see if Wieters has made the adjustment or if it's just temporary results.

Archived