When are we allowed to get excited about Wieters?

SticksandStones

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He just missed hitting a couple of grand slams today ...... both times, from the left side of the plate.

I only saw the one that turned into a sac fly, but that's a home run on most days. He is really swinging the bat well right now.

I only saw the one that turned into a sac fly, but that's a home run on most days. He is really swinging the bat well right now.

Isn't it like 40 degrees at the stadium? I have to think that's a salami in the middle of July.

I'll add that his framing this week has been very good. Today he received a potentially high breaking pitch deep (close to his body) that he, in the past, has made a habit of usually catching out in front (and thus high). I would have liked to see him frame the strike-three 3-2 breaking pitch (first hitter in the 9th inning, I believe) inside his body, but Hunter may have badly missed his spot. Also, the 3-2 curve ball with a runner in motion should have been strike three, but what can a 6'5'' catcher do if he has to make the throw down to second? Frame the pitch and give up the base? I'm actually not sure--I've never been a 6'5'' catcher, nor have I worked or consulted with one.

I like Wieters. Keep him.

Matt seems poised for a big year. Hardy's defense is a must as well. Schoop does not inspire confidence at 3b but looked very good at 2b on the last play of the game imo. So, is it possible we sign Matt and Hardy and plan on letting Davis go? Seems to me that 1b is a lot easier to fill then 2b, 3b or ss.

Matt seems poised for a big year. Hardy's defense is a must as well. Schoop does not inspire confidence at 3b but looked very good at 2b on the last play of the game imo. So, is it possible we sign Matt and Hardy and plan on letting Davis go? Seems to me that 1b is a lot easier to fill then 2b, 3b or ss.
If Wieters continues to hit this year we have less chance of signing him than Davis.

Until Davis learns how to hit an inside pitch, this is the way I would lean.

If Wieters continues to hit this year we have less chance of signing him than Davis.

Shhh. We're signing everybody for the rest of ever. I can't think of our guys playing elsewhere.

Actually, on my Road to the Show Career on MLB 14, Chris Davis ended up on the Red Sox in 2015 just like you've been saying Gordo. That's a bad omen.

Shhh. We're signing everybody for the rest of ever. I can't think of our guys playing elsewhere.

Actually, on my Road to the Show Career on MLB 14, Chris Davis ended up on the Red Sox in 2015 just like you've been saying Gordo. That's a bad omen.

It just makes sense, they have money and will need a 1B, Chris wants money and probably doesn't want to be a MFY. Not the type of guy who would enjoy playing in NYC IMO.

Possibly true. All depends on the demands of Wieters. I'm suspect of the long term success of a catcher as opposed to a 1b. Very interesting dynamic at work. Wieters and Hardy are two of the best defensive players in the game and our pitchers really need the defense. DD certainly has his hands full with these decisions.

If it's so easy, then why weren't we able to get a 1B for ages after Rafael Palmeiro left?

Davis is the better player. He won't break down as quickly as Wieters will. If we can only sign one guy, I really hope it's Davis.

The great 1B all get locked up. It might be harder to find 2B, SS, and 3B overall, but it's also extremely hard to find a dominant 1B. We have Joseph and Ohlman in the minors, as well as Clevenger. Letting Wieters go is the correct decision considering the money he'll command. He won't be worth it.

If it's so easy, then why weren't we able to get a 1B for ages after Rafael Palmeiro left?

Davis is the better player. He won't break down as quickly as Wieters will. If we can only sign one guy, I really hope it's Davis.

The great 1B all get locked up. It might be harder to find 2B, SS, and 3B overall, but it's also extremely hard to find a dominant 1B. We have Joseph and Ohlman in the minors, as well as Clevenger. Letting Wieters go is the correct decision considering the money he'll command. He won't be worth it.

Because we weren't close to winning and management made the decision to make a profit instead of spending money. Now that we are competitive and spending money, I expect it to be relatively easy to find a league average 1b. That being said, I agree with you about longevity. I don't pretend to know which way we should go but I just wish for once, we are proactive. Make the decision, spend the money and live with it. Waiting just makes everyone more expensive

Because we weren't close to winning and management made the decision to make a profit instead of spending money. Now that we are competitive and spending money, I expect it to be relatively easy to find a league average 1b. That being said, I agree with you about longevity. I don't pretend to know which way we should go but I just wish for once, we are proactive. Make the decision, spend the money and live with it. Waiting just makes everyone more expensive

Nelson Cruz says "Hello." Sometimes taking a wait-and-see approach is the right approach.

Archived