When are we allowed to get excited about Wieters?

SticksandStones

I think we'll know more after the 2014 season is over. However, I doubt that any of the three players you mention will be nearly as good an offensive/defensive combination as Wieters. Davis isn't easy to replace, either, so picking between them is not easy if it comes to that.

I agree Frobby. I might lean slightly toward Davis but Matt will not be as easy to

replace as some may think.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No, I don't think there's anything at all wrong with overpaying under the right circumstances. And I certainly didn't criticize the Jimenez contract (nor did I weigh in on it) when it was given, so of course any criticism I make now is a bit harsh and fraught with at least a little bit of ex post facto bias. But, as it turns out, the circumstances seem to be pretty close to the opposite of the "right" circumstances.

This is about Matt not Jimenez.

I'll start getting excited at the All Star Break. But I won't need Matt to maintain this pace. All it would take for me is a .300+ average and and a .500+ slg %.

At Georgia Tech, Matt's lowest batting average was .355 and his lowest slg % was .581. I would have hoped for JUST ONE season of a .300 average and .500 slg %, not a catcher pushing .250 and .450 slg each year. So, YES I'm happy he's hitting like this and I won't say it's a total surprise, but 5+ years is a lot of history to overrcome. However Matt's only 27, so he's really just entering his prime years, and isn't this a contract year? Given that (in addition to his college career), this isn't a fluke. Keeping my fingers crossed until the ASB, then I'll uncross them and be officially "excited". ;)

I'll start getting excited at the All Star Break. But I won't need Matt to maintain this pace. All it would take for me is a .300+ average and and a .500+ slg %.

At Georgia Tech, Matt's lowest batting average was .355 and his lowest slg % was .581. I would have hoped for JUST ONE season of a .300 average and .500 slg %, not a catcher pushing .250 and .450 slg each year. So, YES I'm happy he's hitting like this and I won't say it's a total surprise, but 5+ years is a lot of history to overrcome. However Matt's only 27, so he's really just entering his prime years, and isn't this a contract year? Given that (in addition to his college career), this isn't a fluke. Keeping my fingers crossed until the ASB, then I'll uncross them and be officially "excited". ;)

Arb 3 this year, so a good season will make him some money.

Next year is his contract year.

I am loving these results from Wieters at the plate so far. He looks much more relaxed up there. He's crouched his stance some which definitely helps because he's so tall but I really like that he's lowered his hands as well. With them lowered the way they are he seems like he has a much more level swing with some natural lift coming from the strength of his lower half. It's great to see him hitting on all cylinders. I am hopeful it will last since it seems like these changes have had a positive effect and it's not him just running into a few fastballs.

Last winter just about no one wanted to extend him, and many wanted him traded. Now after two weeks of good hitting people are talking about extending him. I guess it couldn't be the same people, right?

Not me. We should play him and let him walk imo. Maybe his trade value will go up next year though.

Last winter just about no one wanted to extend him, and many wanted him traded. Now after two weeks of good hitting people are talking about extending him. I guess it couldn't be the same people, right?

Extend him, trade him, QO him. I'm good with whatever Buck and Dan decide. I still dislike Scott Boras and think it will be entirely up to him.

Well, yeah. I'd be in for Salty/Martin type money.

Good luck with that. There is zero chance Matt signs for that kind of money especially if he has a breakout year. Even if he had what we have come to expect from him I doubt Salty/Martin money gets it done. I hope that I am dead wrong about that but I doubt it especially considering who his agent is.

Good luck with that. There is zero chance Matt signs for that kind of money especially if he has a breakout year. Even if he had what we have come to expect from him I doubt Salty/Martin money gets it done. I hope that I am dead wrong about that but I doubt it especially considering who his agent is.

Of course it won't happen, but Martin and Salty are reasonable comps imo.

It's tax day and that's too early to draw conclusions on Wieters, Jimenez, Feldman, Kazmir, Arroyo or just about anyone who isn't seriously injured.

It's promising, but people have hot 2-week stretches all the time. Hopefully it sticks, but I don't see great bat speed. I see a guy whose timing is dialed in. We'll see how long it lasts.

Of course it won't happen, but Martin and Salty are reasonable comps imo.

I agree to some extent. I do think his defensive prowess though sets him in a category slightly higher than Martin or Salty. I think there are things that Matt does that do not show up on the stat sheet but that make FO types happy. Personally I would give Matt more than Salty or Martin but not more in the context that Matt and Boras think it should be. Something like 5/50-60 or 6/60-72 ....basically 10-12 million over 5/6 years. Sadly I think that will not get done even if he has a typical Matt year. If he blows up even moderately offensively then the sky is the limit.

Archived