When are we allowed to get excited about Wieters?

SticksandStones

I agree to some extent. I do think his defensive prowess though sets him in a category slightly higher than Martin or Salty. I think there are things that Matt does that do not show up on the stat sheet but that make FO types happy. Personally I would give Matt more than Salty or Martin but not more in the context that Matt and Boras think it should be. Something like 5/50-60 or 6/60-72 ....basically 10-12 million over 5/6 years. Sadly I think that will not get done even if he has a typical Matt year. If he blows up even moderately offensively then the sky is the limit.

When Dan and Boras started talking about this, Scott said 8-year - $184 million.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When Dan and Boras started talking about this, Scott said 8-year - $184 million.

Which is Mauer's deal. There's not much comparison between what Mauer was when he signed his deal and what Wieters is today -- and what happened with Mduer afterwards shouldn't encourage the Oriole or any other team to approach that deal with Wieters. But Boras was never accused of starting off with a proposal anywhere near what he reasonably could get. I'm sure he knows 8/$184 mm isn't in the cards. That's why he settled Matt's arbitration case for $7.5 mm (which implies an FA value of about. $12.5 mm).

Last winter just about no one wanted to extend him, and many wanted him traded. Now after two weeks of good hitting people are talking about extending him. I guess it couldn't be the same people, right?

I was in the small crowd of wanting Duke to try and extend him, if they could make the numbers work. I have always been a big fan of Matt for his work behind the plate, in spite of what some perceive otherwise.

Having a very good defensive catcher is usually the key to a strong competitive team, having one that can hit too, is a bonus.

I was in the small crowd of wanting Duke to try and extend him, if they could make the numbers work. I have always been a big fan of Matt for his work behind the plate, in spite of what some perceive otherwise.

Having a very good defensive catcher is usually the key to a strong competitive team, having one that can hit too, is a bonus.

Yes. :agree:

Archived