When are we allowed to get excited about Wieters?

SticksandStones

Hate to say it--and I think it's way too early to think this reasonably possible or likely, I was fooled already for a bit in 2012, not this time--but we would seriously regret that Jimenez contract of Matt turns into a .825-.850 OPS type player...

My main hope on Jimenez is that he can rebound, put up some decent numbers, and become a tradeable commodity...the many people that know more than me about the way the market works: is this at all a realistic possibility?

If it's too early to be excited about Matt, its also too early to dismiss Jimenez as a viable option for the O's moving forward.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll, get excited, sort of, June 30. He has career .807 OPS in March/April .671 in May and .690 in June. He picks it up in July and August, and has his best month in Sept. .834 OPS. I refuse to get completely excited because I know he will be gone in less than two years.

May and only if Buck shows a commitment to using Clevenger more than he has used other backups in the past. I feel like the other return to earth May months have been a lot about tired legs. When you see Matt hitting well he is getting a lot more flex in his lower body. When it's going poorly he looks about as flexible as a board out there.

It gives me hope that he can eventually be moved to 1st later in his career and have a bat that still plays there.

If it's too early to be excited about Matt, its also too early to dismiss Jimenez as a viable option for the O's moving forward.

I haven't done that at all. He probably will be a viable option for the O's moving forward, the question at hand is that we're paying him more than $12 million a season for the next 3 seasons, when we have a number of arms (Gausman, Britton, Bundy...longer-term: Rodriguez, Hunter) who can likely do as well or better going forward. Hence why I would love to trade him after he gave us more than half a season of good production when we most needed it. But I fully recognize that sounds a bit more like a fan's dream than a reality, I guess I wanted to know from others just how far towards the former it is on the spectrum.

It's too early to get overly excited, but he does seem to have made some adjustment. What will be key is how he does after the pitchers readjust to him. As far as what this does/might mean to him long term. It would be foolish to think that good numbers for Matt are bad for the O's even if he leaves for a gazillion dollars after next year and all the O's get are a pick.

If this truly becomes a breakout year Matt will produce a very good problem for the O's. We may not like how it turns out, but the results on the field for the next two years would be certainly nice.

But again, lets check him in Mid May, Early June and then reevaluate. Until then, thank you Jesus! :)

Hate to say it--and I think it's way too early to think this reasonably possible or likely, I was fooled already for a bit in 2012, not this time--but we would seriously regret that Jimenez contract of Matt turns into a .825-.850 OPS type player...

My main hope on Jimenez is that he can rebound, put up some decent numbers, and become a tradeable commodity...the many people that know more than me about the way the market works: is this at all a realistic possibility?

Unlikely he will be a traceable commodity any time soon. The length of the contract would likely be the issue for most potential suitors, even if he throws well this summer.

Unlikely he will be a traceable commodity any time soon. The length of the contract would likely be the issue for most potential suitors, even if he throws well this summer.

Ouch...so the contract really was an error.

I wonder if they'd've made the deal if they had known Britton would throw like he did in ST. I've always been a fan of ZB, so perhaps I'm a bit biased, but I really think he can be a #3-#4 starter right now, perhaps even with upside for better. Instead, Jimenez is effectively blocking him.

Am I excited about Matt doing well, dang tootin. :)

But, there is that nasty three letter word. :)

But, I am not running to Vegas and putting down money that Matt woke up this off-season and has become what we all hoped he would be.

I am realistic that this is probably just a spurt and willing to enjoy the streak while it lasts.

I think we are allowed to be excited when Wieters has his second coming . That would be 2022 or thereabouts when after 6 seasons and 3 WS rings with BOS he is signed as a back up catcher and part time DH.

I know you were trying to be funny, but you missed the mark pretty badly.

Ouch...so the contract really was an error.

I wonder if they'd've made the deal if they had known Britton would throw like he did in ST. I've always been a fan of ZB, so perhaps I'm a bit biased, but I really think he can be a #3-#4 starter right now, perhaps even with upside for better. Instead, Jimenez is effectively blocking him.

Well, we were the only team willing to go 4 years, so it was clearly an overpay. I wouldn't call all overpays errors though. We'll have to wait and see imo.

Archived