Is Gausman Thursday's starter? (Officially Wednesday)

wildcard

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
All of this is correct, but I suspect the masses will ignore and declare him ready. If this is what is about to happen, then the bizarre development of Gausman will continue.

Honestly, we are not the Orioles management or scouting staff so we cant say if Gausman is ready or not simply by looking at numbers. We have no clue what they have him doing specifically. Hes probably working hard on specific pitches. They also are probably not calling the game down there as they would in the bigs. Perhaps his walks are high because they have him throwing hard breaking pitches all the time in 3-ball counts to get him experience with that. Or...he has control issues like you suggest. All im saying is that I trust the Orioles scouting department far more than any Orioles hangout forum member. All I know is that hes missing a ton of bats down there and I certainly would not mind seeing him on the Orioles soon.

Honestly, we are not the Orioles management or scouting staff so we cant say if Gausman is ready or not simply by looking at numbers. We have no clue what they have him doing specifically. Hes probably working hard on specific pitches. They also are probably not calling the game down there as they would in the bigs. Perhaps his walks are high because they have him throwing hard breaking pitches all the time in 3-ball counts to get him experience with that. Or...he has control issues like you suggest. All im saying is that I trust the Orioles scouting department far more than any Orioles hangout forum member. All I know is that hes missing a ton of bats down there and I certainly would not mind seeing him on the Orioles soon.

I agree that the club is in better position to know the finer details and the discussion here will never include every variable. However, trust in the club, and its scouting department is earned and I'm a long way to the point of giving them the benefit of the doubt when they handle a prospect in what I consider head scratching fashion, which I think has been the case with Gausman dating back to last year. That said, I'll be pulling for the kid come Wednesday.

It does. I'm guessing it's either Gonzalez or Tillman.
If it was Gonzalez Gausman would be starting on Thurs.on full rest. Could be Tillman, and they are pushing every one else back, and skipping him while he makes his visit to Dr. Andrews. All the cool pitchers are doing it now..

Isn't Gausman starting on 3 days rest? Must be an injury. Chen?

I don't think its an injury. My guess is they just don't want Chen pitching to the Tigers righthanded lineup. He probably pitches Thursday vs KC.

Gausman has not been extended. He been limited to 75 pitches. I guess they feel he can start on 3 days rest.

I have always thought that roster expansion could be used to gain more parity. The bottom third would get 2 extra men, and the middle third, one. The top third would stay at 25.

Interesting idea.

I do think MLB should add at least 1 floating roster spot. Basically carry 26 but only 25 would be active for any given games. I would prob make it so that SP could not be designated for that inactive role if they started in the past 5 days.

What this would hopefully accomplish is the ability to have an extra arm or perhaps a bat for those times were a guy is dealing with some type of nagging injury that does not require a trip to the DL. I also think it would allow you to designate a guy who has pitched out the pen the past 2 or 3 days as inactive and have another arm to use.

I know most of this can be accomplished under the current rules. I do think having that extra player on the roster at the park though may be of benefit for both the players and the teams.

I think Guilmet is optioned. But he will be back in the not too distance future. I think he impressed.

Hats off to you sir. This moves is puzzling to say the least. Unless you know something we don't, not sure how you saw this coming.

I think it must be a DL move.

Do you have some intel?

If it was Gonzalez Gausman would be starting on Thurs. Could be Tillman, and they are pushing every one else back, and skipping him while he makes his visit to Dr. Andrews. All the cool pitchers are doing it now..

True. I guess they could just be moving Gonzalez to the bullpen for a bit and sending Guilmet down.

I'm not sure I like this. His numbers have looked good, but he's been limited to around seventy-five pitches per start, and he's just coming back from pneumonia. Seems to me that he should be stretched out some more. I don't want him rushed up to the big club's rotation too soon, as he was last year. Patience, Dan!

Archived