Is Gausman Thursday's starter? (Officially Wednesday)

wildcard

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think he meant rushed back from their injuries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Correct. They both look like hot garbage.

Ok, but he's not injured anymore. And he had 2 hits in his first game back. The guy was pulling around a sled or something for rehab. He might not hit 50 HR again. Get used to it.

As for Manny I've already said I wouldn't have taken Cruz out of the two spot but that's being met with resistance. Doesn't mean he was rushed.

And what exactly do they have to do with Gausman?

I would be very surprised if Gausman were called up now. The idea is to limit his innings until later in the year. We don't need another 5-6 inning pitcher right now. What's the sense? He also has 14 walks in his last 26 innings. Doesn't sound ready to me.

Later in the year, I think Gausman to the rotation and Gonzalez to the bullpen makes a lot of sense. Gonzalez has always needed extra rest (according to Showalter) late in the year, and still has never really pitched a full season. He also has a good closer's repertoire. He can locate his fastball which likely becomes a 93-94 heater in relief, and his splitter is a swing and miss out pitch.

Frobby had mentioned this and I had misread his walk rate, but he has been better over his last three. I agree we don't necessarily need him now, but I wouldn't be against it.

Frobby had mentioned this and I had misread his walk rate, but he has been better over his last three. I agree we don't necessarily need him now, but I wouldn't be against it.

I would not be against it.

Right because Gonzalez has been consistent from the start of the year? Yes, he had a good start last time out. I'm not impressed with him compared to Gausman. Shocked that we disagree.
His ERA is 4.78 for the year so far. The last 5 GS it is 3.18. You'd have to be out of your mind to dump a guy who is improving that much.

The Orioles will announce Wednesday's starter by noon tomorrow, according to a team spokesman.

"I'm not quite there yet," Showalter said. "I know where we're probably headed. I better wait and make sure that something hasn't changed since Dave (Wallace) and I last talked about it with Dan (Duquette). Cause if I did, it would change for sure."

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2014/05/showalter-on.html

That is a really mysterious comment.

I know all the speculation is about Gausman, but as long as we are speculating wildly, let me throw Zach Britton's name into the ring. After all, it seems unlikely that Gausman would be pitching on Wednesday after throwing 77 pitches on Saturday, yet the Wednesday starter hasn't been announced. Britton has only thrown one inning since May 7, so he's very fresh. It might be hard for him to get deep into a game right now, but if the O's are ever going to try him in a starting role this year, now may be the time.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2014/05/showalter-on.html

That is a really mysterious comment.

I know all the speculation is about Gausman, but as long as we are speculating wildly, let me throw Zach Britton's name into the ring. After all, it seems unlikely that Gausman would be pitching on Wednesday after throwing 77 pitches on Saturday, yet the Wednesday starter hasn't been announced. Britton has only thrown one inning since May 7, so he's very fresh. It might be hard for him to get deep into a game right now, but if the O's are ever going to try him in a starting role this year, now may be the time.

Wow that really is a mysterious comment.

I'm thinking it might be Gausman now as well.

By the way, I hope this doesn't suggest that Chen is having a health issue.

Seems more like it involves Chen than Gonzo. Could it be possible since they don't currently have a long reliever that they might go with Britton followed by Gonzo, and Gausman on Thursday? What about S. Johnson? What's his availability?

His ERA is 4.78 for the year so far. The last 5 GS it is 3.18. You'd have to be out of your mind to dump a guy who is improving that much.

Well, since we're cherry picking stats I'll go back to what I said before. He's been inconsistent even within the games you selected. And that's including the first where he happened to give up no runs. If we check the game log only two games back we see this line vs the Twins:

IP 4.2

H 6

ER 3

SO 7

BB 4

His ERA went up after this game.

And that was on six days rest. And I'm not suggesting we dump him, but adding Gausman to skip Gonzalez who has been inconsistent would be ok.

Well, since we're cherry picking stats I'll go back to what I said before. He's been inconsistent even within the games you selected. And that's including the first where he happened to give up no runs. If we check the game log only two games back we see this line vs the Twins:

IP 4.2

H 6

ER 3

SO 7

BB 4

His ERA went up after this game.

And that was on six days rest. And I'm not suggesting we dump him, but adding Gausman to skip Gonzalez who has been inconsistent would be ok.

The point is he is no worse than the average 5 SP, better than a lot of them so far, and his track record indicates that he will be better. To give up on him this early in the season and bring up Gausman before he is truly needed, is childish. It is not going to happen.

The point is he is no worse than the average 5 SP, better than a lot of them so far, and his track record indicates that he will be better. To give up on him this early in the season and bring up Gausman before he is truly needed, is childish. It is not going to happen.

...Childish? It's ridiculous with 3 "no worse than average" SPs while a potential ace is stuck in AAA. Gausman isn't the type of talent that should only come up when "needed".

Archived