Is Gausman Thursday's starter? (Officially Wednesday)

wildcard

I think there has to be more to this than just wanting Chen to skip the Tigers. Even if that's not a great matchup for Chen, it's not worth pitching Kevin Gausman on 3 days' rest, coming off pneumonia. That's a pretty drastic step to take just to avoid having Chen face the Tigers.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Too soon to be bringing Gausman up to stay in the rotation. He will be out of innings before the season ends. He is making a spot start because of an injury IMO, most likely Tillman. We'll see when we find out who is pitching Thursday and Friday.

Talk about being thrown into the fire.. vs. arguably the best team in baseball with the strongest offense. Not to mention on only 3 days rest, coming off being sick. I guess lets see what the kid has..

Perhaps we should knee him in the groin for good luck?:)

He pitched well against them last year..I am sure that is the thought process here. I am on record as saying this makes no sense to me. I am going to keep that opinion until proved otherwise. Odd move.

He missed one start due to the pneumonia and tossed 4 and 2/3 shutout innings on Saturday. I don't agree that they have handled him, "somewhere between idiotic and reckless" but I due think they have handled him peculiarly since he's signed. Due to his strict pitch limit, he's only pitched five innings once this season so far so I imagine they are looking for a solid five innings of work from him. Of course, the way the Orioles starters have pitched this season, that's right on par.

He's pitched very well of late giving up only nine hits and six walks with 15 K's over his last 14 1/3 innings covering his last three starts. As most of determined, this is most likely just to give Chen a more favorable matchup. I guess since he's only going 75-pitches pitching on three days rest should not be that big of a deal, but it does seem strange that they are throwing him off schedule.

Hopefully Gausman can give the team five solid innings and go back down and get stretched out a bit so we can actually see if he's ready to be a starter at the big league level.

I like Gausman. A lot. I think the orioles handling of Gausman is bizarre. Maybe questionable and bizarre are better terms, although if Gausman does not develop it will be easy to lay the blame on the orioles and use harsher terms. Their approach with Gausman has been far different than other organizations efforts to prepare their prime prospects to start in the MLs. Starting him with three days rest and after basically an extended spring training schedule at AAA could increase the risk of injury. I hope they have a hard pitch count limit tonight. If Gausman is good tonight they will be tempted to stick with him.

Too soon to be bringing Gausman up to stay in the rotation. He will be out of innings before the season ends. He is making a spot start because of an injury IMO, most likely Tillman. We'll see when we find out who is pitching Thursday and Friday.

tnorth2

1 day ago

Soo excited to see this cute face today!! I love last minute, spur of the moment decisions to book a flight ☺️

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Today's just been a day full of great news!!! </p>— Taylor North (@tnorth2) <a href="https://twitter.com/tnorth2/statuses/466222376451985410">May 13, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Missed this beautiful view! <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23InnerHarbor&src=hash">#InnerHarbor</a> <a href="http://t.co/MOIKJIVwHl">pic.twitter.com/MOIKJIVwHl</a></p>— Taylor North (@tnorth2) <a href="https://twitter.com/tnorth2/statuses/466268703760592897">May 13, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I think we are seeing the Jonathan Schoop model with Gausman. Promote him, if he does well he stays. The O's will probably develop Kevin at the major league level. Why? Because he is better than most of the other pitchers the O's have.

I guess he could pitch poorly and then maybe they send him to the minors. Bit I think this is a chance for Kevin to stay in the majors. Either in the rotation or the pen. I wish him well.

Ultimately I have no issue with KG being inserted into the rotation. His ERA at AAA is good. His WHIP and BB could be better but have improved progressively. He has the potential to be the best pitcher on this staff come October. I love Gonzo and Chen but from a talent perspective KG is light years ahead of them. The only part that concerns me is the pitching on short rest...not sure about that part.

If KG is to stay with the club, I would much prefer to trade the person whose spot he takes. SP tends to get you more value than BP arms (not always but generally true). If the team were healthy then I would be all for keeping the odd man out in the pen. Considering we have health issues that have created needs I am not so sure we can afford that luxury.

I think there has to be more to this than just wanting Chen to skip the Tigers. Even if that's not a great matchup for Chen, it's not worth pitching Kevin Gausman on 3 days' rest, coming off pneumonia. That's a pretty drastic step to take just to avoid having Chen face the Tigers.

Gonzo straight up for Yadier Molina.

Its not like hes coming off a 110 pitch outing 3 days ago. It was only 70 and he has very few pitches under his belt so far this year. I think he will be fine. Besides, guys in japan routinely through 130,140 pitches a game. If the Os staff think hes fine then so do I. The league is overprotective of arms these days anyway

:agree: Must be to cover for an injury. I bet Tillman gets skipped. He's the only one who has looked questionable recently. Norris, Chen, and Gonzo have looked fine each going 7 innings their last time out. Tillman not so much, 5.2 IP/GS his last 5 starts..

This is pretty crazy. He hasn't pitched 5 innings in a game in the minors and he is coming of a serious illness. Seems like a good way for him to get injured. At least this quiet down everyone who wants him up here so badly.

Its not like hes coming off a 110 pitch outing 3 days ago. It was only 70 and he has very few pitches under his belt so far this year. I think he will be fine. Besides, guys in japan routinely through 130,140 pitches a game. If the Os staff think hes fine then so do I. The league is overprotective of arms these days anyway

Those guy in Japan only pitch once every seven days.

Calling your best prospect up for a spot start on short rest, just to get a platoon advantage in a couple of early season games outside your division? Not buying it. There is something more going on here.

Totally agree.

Archived