Is Gausman Thursday's starter? (Officially Wednesday)

wildcard

Ok, but he's not injured anymore. And he had 2 hits in his first game back. The guy was pulling around a sled or something for rehab. He might not hit 50 HR again. Get used to it.

As for Manny I've already said I wouldn't have taken Cruz out of the two spot but that's being met with resistance. Doesn't mean he was rushed.

And what exactly do they have to do with Gausman?

Wasn't Gausman on the DL because he had pneumonia? The previous mentioned

two were on the DL.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This sounds like what might be happening. If so they will have to figure out who replaces Chen on Wed and what that means to the rest of the rotation and pen.

Frobby's suggestion of Britton makes some sense. But then the O's have to add someone to replace him in the pen.

Any chance they might ever consider having Chen and Britton swap places?

I really hate all the 25 man roster rotations in use by teams currently. It is time to allow 27 man rosters and managers can choose 25 to suit up on any given day. Same thing in September, maybe expand to thirty something and they can dress a number near 30.

I think it is pretty simple: the Orioles would rather develop starting pitchers by having them start games in the minor leagues, instead of spending time in a big league bullpen. Gausman has more talent than Stinson, for sure. But Stinson is never going to be a major league starting pitcher. He's fully baked, having spent 8+ years in profesisonal baseball and making 40 AAA starts. Using him in the bullpen isn't going to slow his development; at the major league level, it's his highest and best use. With Gausman, the top priority is doing what it takes to develop him as a starting pitcher. Spending time in the big league bullpen at this stage doesn't really advance that objective. While it's true that some successful big league starters spend some time in the big league bullpen first, that's after they've spent significant time starting in the minors. Gausman hasn't.

I wish people would be a bit more patient. Gausman is not that far away, but he has a little more to do.

I was in total agreement with you until you got to this point. You think Gausman has not pitched enough in the minors. But you or I don't make that decision. O's management does. And O's management were going promote Gausman when Meek was sent down. So O's management probably think he is ready for the majors. If that is in the pen then fine.

I really hate all the 25 man roster rotations in use by teams currently. It is time to allow 27 man rosters and managers can choose 25 to suit up on any given day. Same thing in September, maybe expand to thirty something and they can dress a number near 30.

They would just add two more bullpen arms.

The O's already have a 27 man roster when you consider the Norfolk Express.

On top of that, I don't understand why some people are so eager to bring up a guy who's walking 4.8 batters per nine. He's walked 14 hitters in 26 innings thus far, and he threw nearly half of his pitches for balls in his last outing. That's against MiL competition. It's great that he's not giving up many hits in limited innings, but I feel like his control issues so far make him ripe for...basically getting eaten alive in the majors. Until he's been stretched out and demonstrates an ability to consistently throw strikes, I don't see any need to bring him up.

All of this is correct, but I suspect the masses will ignore and declare him ready. If this is what is about to happen, then the bizarre development of Gausman will continue.

I was in total agreement with you until you got to this point. You think Gausman has not pitched enough in the minors. But you or I don't make that decision. O's management does. And O's management were going promote Gausman when Meek was sent down. So O's management probably think he is ready for the majors. If that is in the pen then fine.

There's a difference between calling up Gausman to provide a long man in the bullpen for a couple days, and calling him up to be a regular starting pitcher in the big league rotation. The O's were willing to do the former, but there's no indication yet that they're ready for the latter.

Could a trade be in the works? We know that the O's are looking for a catcher to platoon with Clevenger or take over as the starter until Wieters is able to return. Could a pitcher be on the way out. I like Gonzalez, but believe he'd be a superior arm in the pen. If Patton is on the way out, and Gonzalez is moved to the pen, then promoting Gausman could make sense.

I have always thought that roster expansion could be used to gain more parity. The bottom third would get 2 extra men, and the middle third, one. The top third would stay at 25.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23orioles&src=hash">#orioles</a> say they will announce Wednesday's starter by noon tomorrow. <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23orioles&src=hash">#orioles</a></p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">May 13, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

So much for this.

Archived