Is Gausman Thursday's starter? (Officially Wednesday)

wildcard

...Childish? It's ridiculous with 3 "no worse than average" SPs while a potential ace is stuck in AAA. Gausman isn't the type of talent that should only come up when "needed".

Yes, a "potential ace" who has never been effective as a SP, and is just coming off injury, and has been on a pitch limit so he can be available for the end of the season if needed, should not be rushed up to replace solid #3-4 SP, with a proven track record, who has a 4.78 ERA and has pitched well in recent outings. To do so would be reacting to the impulses of a child.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...Childish? It's ridiculous with 3 "no worse than average" SPs while a potential ace is stuck in AAA. Gausman isn't the type of talent that should only come up when "needed".

Put aside the name calling. The issue is whether Gausman appears fully ready to come up and be better than one of those in our starting five. Because our current guys are doing decently, the burden of proof is on Gausman. Personally, I want to see him extended to 90 and then 100 pitches and see how he does. Pitching well for 4.2 innings in AAA doesn't tell me whether he is ready to be a good starter in the majors. After all, both Gonzo and Chen would have much lower career ERAs if they were routinely pulled after 4.2 innings.

They may not want to pitch Chen against Detroit because their entire lineup is RH except for VMart. Might just be a matter of some shuffling for that reason.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Put aside the name calling. The issue is whether Gausman appears fully ready to come up and be better than one of those in our starting five. Because our current guys are doing decently, the burden of proof is on Gausman. Personally, I want to see him extended to 90 and then 100 pitches and see how he does. Pitching well for 4.2 innings in AAA doesn't tell me whether he is ready to be a good starter in the majors. After all, both Gonzo and Chen would have much lower career ERAs if they were routinely pulled after 4.2 innings.

On top of that, I don't understand why some people are so eager to bring up a guy who's walking 4.8 batters per nine. He's walked 14 hitters in 26 innings thus far, and he threw nearly half of his pitches for balls in his last outing. That's against MiL competition. It's great that he's not giving up many hits in limited innings, but I feel like his control issues so far make him ripe for...basically getting eaten alive in the majors. Until he's been stretched out and demonstrates an ability to consistently throw strikes, I don't see any need to bring him up.

Yes, a "potential ace" who has never been effective as a SP, and is just coming off injury, and has been on a pitch limit so he can be available for the end of the season if needed, should not be rushed up to replace solid #3-4 SP, with a proven track record, who has a 4.78 ERA and has pitched well in recent outings. To do so would be reacting to the impulses of a child.

Never been effective as a SP? I recall Gausman dominating this very Detroit team last year.

Maybe Wallace just wants to give Chen and Gonzo an extra day.

Thursday's Norfolk starter was Johnson. Friday's was Yoon. They are the only two Norfolk starters on sufficient rest to start Tuesday.

Britton on Wednesday?

Gausman makes no sense to me but Britton makes less sense. He isn't stretched out and has been lights out, let's not screw that up.

I am going to throw this one out there....could it be Weams?

He is on plenty of rest....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, since we're cherry picking stats I'll go back to what I said before. He's been inconsistent even within the games you selected. And that's including the first where he happened to give up no runs. If we check the game log only two games back we see this line vs the Twins:

IP 4.2

H 6

ER 3

SO 7

BB 4

His ERA went up after this game.

And that was on six days rest. And I'm not suggesting we dump him, but adding Gausman to skip Gonzalez who has been inconsistent would be ok.

Hate to pile on because Gordo and I actually agree on very little. Everyone acknowledges the slow start Miguel has had. But in two seasons over 40+ starts the guy has been a mid three era pitcher. The majority of MLB teams would take that over their fifth guy and many would slot him higher. In a perfect world you'd like him to average over six innings and he seems to average just under. I'm actually surprised you are willing to dismiss two successful seasons over 7 starts this year. Your arguments are usually more rational.

They may not want to pitch Chen against Detroit because their entire lineup is RH except for VMart. Might just be a matter of some shuffling for that reason.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

This sounds like what might be happening. If so they will have to figure out who replaces Chen on Wed and what that means to the rest of the rotation and pen.

Frobby's suggestion of Britton makes some sense. But then the O's have to add someone to replace him in the pen.

Gonzalez is not a league average pitcher over the last two years. He got a mid three era over 43 starts.

Chen is a 4.07 starter over the last three seasons and is averaging over 6 innings. He's the 3-4 starter on most teams.

Bud Norris has been pitching really well ( I assume your lumping Norris in ?) lately ...it's Bucks fault he gave up the 2 runs late last night.

The Orioles would be stupid to rush Gausman when the SP is not the problem. The team has scored 3 runs or less in the majority of its games and it's surprising they have a winning record with that stat much less 1st place in the division

Put aside the name calling....QUOTE]

for El Gordo that would be like asking a tiger to change his stripes.

I'm not sure why Gausman really didn't start the season with the big league club. His stuff and makeup are better than Stinson's yet Buck seems to love that guy. I know the team doesn't want to rush him, but he could certainly help out in middle relief giving the O's a viable right handed long man out of the pen. I understand he wouldn't get the experience of pitching every 5th day, but he does benefit from pitching to major league hitters something that the minors can't simulate. It probably is Chen. He doesn't have the strongest track record when it comes to the injury bug.

I'm not sure why Gausman really didn't start the season with the big league club. His stuff and makeup are better than Stinson's yet Buck seems to love that guy. I know the team doesn't want to rush him, but he could certainly help out in middle relief giving the O's a viable right handed long man out of the pen. I understand he wouldn't get the experience of pitching every 5th day, but he does benefit from pitching to major league hitters something that the minors can't simulate. It probably is Chen. He doesn't have the strongest track record when it comes to the injury bug.

I think it is pretty simple: the Orioles would rather develop starting pitchers by having them start games in the minor leagues, instead of spending time in a big league bullpen. Gausman has more talent than Stinson, for sure. But Stinson is never going to be a major league starting pitcher. He's fully baked, having spent 8+ years in profesisonal baseball and making 40 AAA starts. Using him in the bullpen isn't going to slow his development; at the major league level, it's his highest and best use. With Gausman, the top priority is doing what it takes to develop him as a starting pitcher. Spending time in the big league bullpen at this stage doesn't really advance that objective. While it's true that some successful big league starters spend some time in the big league bullpen first, that's after they've spent significant time starting in the minors. Gausman hasn't.

I wish people would be a bit more patient. Gausman is not that far away, but he has a little more to do.

That is Gausman's night to pitch after starting for Norfolk last Sat. Buck has not announced a starter yet.

He has averaged a 0.00 ERA in his last three starts with a 1.06 WHIP in 75 pitches in 4.2 IP. He is ready to move to 90 pitches.

See what Roch has to say:

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2014/05/uncertainty-in-orioles-rotation-this-week.html

But why would he be?

Archived