vs. ASTROS 5/29

scOtt

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• I don’t think this is totally accurate.  Means was looked at as a guy who no one could count on for this year, I don’t think anyone expected him to be able to finish the season.  Sort of the same scenario with Bradish, I think everyone thought this outcome was inevitable. They tried the treatment and that delayed it but no one should be surprised about this.  Wells is Mr. Glass. The fact that they all went down in the first half of the season is inconvenient but shouldn’t be totally surprising.  All of these guys had issues headed into the season.  
    • We have been several times. We need to be at least 1 game better in the lose column if we're 3 games down. The percentages say we're going to lose one of those 3 games. There's 83 games left to play. We just need to win as many as we can.
    • Yes, they're asking pitchers to throw at 110% all the time, just like everyone else in the world from 11U on up.
    • OP is asking about next year as well as this one. I think the point is we can get a guy who will help us now and next year. We did expect to lose Bradish but not him and Means and Wells all at the same time. Right now we would be going into next year with Grayson as our only dependable guy. Won't be much margin for error without another Burnes type. 
    • Something to keep in mind in the offseason is that the starting pitcher FA market doesn’t look that great in terms of pitchers we would sign or even want to sign. On top of that, you have several guys who only become FA if they opt out and if they opt out, it’s likely because they didn’t have a great season. Combine that with the idea that our only 2 internal rotation candidates are Povich and McDermott, both of whom have exhibited a lot of issues with command and control and it certainly is a shaky long term outlook for the rotation. Position player wise, we will (in theory) lose Santander and McCann. Hays and Mullins are likely gone. Not going to have both Mateo and Urias but certainly could bring back one. As of now, OHearn definitely has his option picked up. If it were up to me, Mounty would be traded. 2 years left of control, likely to be coming off a very solid season and we have players behind him. He could help fetch us some pitching. My expectation is at least 2 of Mounty, OHearn and Santander will be back. How so many of these guys and our prospects end the year will determine how we attack the offseason. But for the deadline, I think obtaining a starter that can be here long term is something the team should look at.     You have several options in Miami and potentially a guy like Detmers.    A Detmers/Estevez package is something I would be looking into.  Same thing with Nardi and one of the Marlins starters, like a Braxton Garrett for example. For me, the key here is that you need to upgrade the pen. I think if you make the pen really good and you have Burnes and GRod, that may be enough.  I’m not trading our top 3 prospects. I think all play big roles in 2025, although Basallo may not play a role until the season is well underway, But I would trade Kjerstad and anyone else while hoping to keep certain guys although they wouldn’t be deal breakers.  
    • And Fangraphs has the Yankees 68% to 31% to win the division.
  • Popular Contributors