Orioles have optioned Kevin Gausman

Greg

Probably a Super 2 decision. An extra year will definitely be nice looking back in hindsight.

Super 2 has nothing to do with an extra year. Super 2 has to do with the arbitration process.

I don't care for the fact he will be pitching on so much rest. They need him taking the ball ever 5-6 days and I think his adjustment period will go more smoothly if he has a set schedule.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I thought part of the "benefit" of the six man staff was that, on any given night, two of the starters would be available to pitch out of the pen?

Apparent it only works that way in theory. Instead the O's send down their hottest pitcher and bring up a guy who in not one of their best 12 pitchers. The logic escapes me. Just put Gonzalez in the pen. He is better than Brach or Meek. We all know that moving at starter to the pen would not be permanent. One of the starters will get injured soon enough.

I bet Gausman never leaves. They option him' date=' but he stays in Baltimore. Maybe he even throws his side sessions here, pitches on Friday in the DH and then back to regular routine in 10 days and pitching normal for us again. We might even get some phantom injury that brings him up earlier.[/quote']

Yeah they can either do that or send him to Norfolk make a short start like 3 innings as his side session then pitch him on Friday. I think i would rather a game situation then a side situation would work fine. Those saying what messege does this send Gausman and the team it tells them we need an extra pitcher right now and if I am Gausman and they explain the plan I would have no problem. It is basically him starting Friday instead of Wednesday.

Apparent it only works that way in theory. Instead the O's send down their hottest pitcher and bring up a guy who in not one of their best 12 pitchers. The logic escapes me. Just put Gonzalez in the pen. He is better than Brach or Meek. We all know that moving at starter to the pen would not be permanent. One of the starters will get injured soon enough.

The problem is if you have to use Gonzo for a long man then when the double header comes you are short a pitcher for the 6 games and 5 days with only 5 starters. If there was not a double header they may have gone that way but with Friday DH. You need to keep 6 guys in the rotation and this does it. Granted it may not matter of all the starters go long but you have to keep options open.

Gausman is helping us WIN GAMES NOW.

Him starting Wednesday or Friday makes no affect on him winning games. He will still make th same number of starts between now and the All Star break so all it does is help the bullpen and bench.

The problem is if you have to use Gonzo for a long man then when the double header comes you are short a pitcher for the 6 games and 5 days with only 5 starters. If there was not a double header they may have gone that way but with Friday DH. You need to keep 6 guys in the rotation and this does it. Granted it may not matter of all the starters go long but you have to keep options open.

Gonzo could go to the pen and still make a spot start to deal with the doubleheader. That would not be a problem. Bring up a long man from Norfolk as the 26th man.

Him starting Wednesday or Friday makes no affect on him winning games. He will still make th same number of starts between now and the All Star break so all it does is help the bullpen and bench.

I would think that Gausman would maintain his control better on 4 or 5 days rest than 8 days rest.

Gonzo could go to the pen and still make a spot start to deal with the doubleheader. That would not be a problem. Bring up a long man from Norfolk as the 26th man.

The problem is Ubaldo is going on the double header he by him self could easily use up one long man. We have two starters right now that could easily give you just 2 or three innings so you have to has as many options as possible and this does that andit does not affect how many starts Gausman gets from now to the all-star break.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>For those freaked out by Gausman being sent down today, he could pitch Friday as 26th man. Go down again and be back for his next start.</p>? Dan Connolly (@danconnollysun) <a href="
">June 21, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Basically the 10-day clock doesn't restart for 26th man. He'll have 6 days down then 4 days down.</p>? Dan Connolly (@danconnollysun) <a href="

">June 21, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

OK Now i get the move. If this is really the plan.

And then what, call him up only to send him down again. All they are doing is trying to put off what they should do. Send someone from the roatation to the pen.

I would think that Gausman would maintain his control better on 4 or 5 days rest than 8 days rest.

He was on 8 days rest in his first start basically when he returned with his 1 inning they gave him in Norfolk before his last call up. I expect the same thing. He may go down and start on Monday or Tuesday and throw an inning or two.,

And then what, call him up only to send him down again. All they are doing is trying to put off what they should do. Send someone from the roatation to the pen.

They need 6 starters starting next weekend with the doubleheader which is their biggest concern. They can move guys up and down in the pen as they have guys with options but they have no starting pitching depth after these 6.

Archived