Orioles Trade Targets?

Nite

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Phillies likely aren't willing to deal because Amaro will be fired at the end of the season. They probably don't want him to have any control over these moves. Basically it's a bit of a power struggle.

Interesting....makes sense but why not fire him now then?

Bad press.

Real baseball fans would understand it's for the good of their club.

He's not going to sell because he knows if they don't have a miraculous turn around (no matter how unlikely it is), he will be fired at the end of the year.

What incentive is their for him to sell then since it will only be dealing his own fate? They should fire him now and let an intern gm handle this so they can get some value back for their team.

A few teams off today maybe a good time for a trade. I haven't seen much talk with the Wild Card so open I figure there would be a bit more activity with some teams selling and adding at the same time to fill the holes and using the extra pieces.

The way we have pitched the last two months I would hope that SP is down the list of what we need. I am starting to think if LF is the best option to upgrade a few more possiblities and Pearce seems to be adjusting back to his career. Lough has shown some signs and Young has been hitting but I like as a pinch hitter more then starting and not having much bench. Alex Rios name has come up and Marlon Byrd has some interest from other teams. Both make a good chunk of change though

A few teams off today maybe a good time for a trade. I haven't seen much talk with the Wild Card so open I figure there would be a bit more activity with some teams selling and adding at the same time to fill the holes and using the extra pieces.

The way we have pitched the last two months I would hope that SP is down the list of what we need. I am starting to think if LF is the best option to upgrade a few more possiblities and Pearce seems to be adjusting back to his career. Lough has shown some signs and Young has been hitting but I like as a pinch hitter more then starting and not having much bench. Alex Rios name has come up and Marlon Byrd has some interest from other teams. Both make a good chunk of change though

I'm not ready to give up on Pearce just yet. Even so, I'd be satisfied with Lough/Young out there. I think catcher and potentially the bullpen are our two focal points coming into this deadline.

If possible, Kurt Suzuki and Koji Uehara would make me extremely pleased. I think that would immediately make us the AL favorites.

Phillies likely aren't willing to deal because Amaro will be fired at the end of the season. They probably don't want him to have any control over these moves. Basically it's a bit of a power struggle.

I'd venture to say teams are more desperate at the trade deadline than the off-season. That means if they wanted a better return, now would be the time to deal. Just getting out from some of their contracts would be beneficial.

I've been combing over the numbers and it doesn't seem like there is a huge amount of Lefty outfielders with contracts that would make them good targets. Seth Smith obviously would have been a great fit, but as has been stated before, his re-signing seems to make that unlikely.

What about Chris Dickerson? He's sort of tough to fit on the roster as presently constructed, but he's got a career .266/.342/.426/.768 slash line against RHP and that holds up this year with a .289/.357/.474/.831 (albeit in 14 G/44 PA, but still maintains the trend). His vs. RHP split was .693 (which is lower than his career, but way better than his 2013 .286-in only 7 PA-against LHP). He would also give us a guy with some speed on the basepaths and decent/good D in LF. I wouldn't want to lose Delmon, but others have suggested that the tribe could want him for a righty bat with power. Maybe send them Young for Dickerson + some middle of the road prospect, like very back end of their top 20 list? He could take Lough's spot, as he would be able to backup CF, but I don't really like losing Lough either. Not saying he's a great option, but he could make a decent platoon partner for Pearce and would come cheaply. Further, he was on this team last season, seemed well-liked and thus wouldn't really risk messing up team chemistry. One place that this idea falls short is that I wouldn't mind seeing Young back next season as a part of a DH platoon (maybe getting some time in the OF as well, preferably limited, though), if/when Cruz signs elsewhere. Maybe this wouldn't be enough of an upgrade with the bat to unseat Lough, though, who has a .689 and .660 OPS vs. RHP (career and 2014, respectively) and plays stellar D. Not really a proposal, just sort of thinking of potential options out loud.

I think the issue in a lot of these ideas or when trying to formulate a potential target (outside of the fact that there aren't a ton of left-handed outfield bats that mash RHP that are also available to acquire at this point) is that there is no clear axe from the roster. Delmon has been playing very well for us this season, although he and Pearce are somewhat redundant, and Lough is a decent piece with years of control remaining and no options. That's potentially what makes a 2B rental appealing in that either Flaherty or Schoop could be optioned. Same with catcher (Joseph potentially, or just drop Hundley as he is not in the plan past this season).

I've been combing over the numbers and it doesn't seem like there is a huge amount of Lefty outfielders with contracts that would make them good targets. Seth Smith obviously would have been a great fit, but as has been stated before, his re-signing seems to make that unlikely.

What about Chris Dickerson? He's sort of tough to fit on the roster as presently constructed, but he's got a career .266/.342/.426/.768 slash line against RHP and that holds up this year with a .289/.357/.474/.831 (albeit in 14 G/44 PA, but still maintains the trend). His vs. RHP split was .693 (which is lower than his career, but way better than his 2013 .286-in only 7 PA-against LHP). He would also give us a guy with some speed on the basepaths and decent/good D in LF. I wouldn't want to lose Delmon, but others have suggested that the tribe could want him for a righty bat with power. Maybe send them Young for Dickerson + some middle of the road prospect, like very back end of their top 20 list? He could take Lough's spot, as he would be able to backup CF, but I don't really like losing Lough either. Not saying he's a great option, but he could make a decent platoon partner for Pearce and would come cheaply. Further, he was on this team last season, seemed well-liked and thus wouldn't really risk messing up team chemistry. One place that this idea falls short is that I wouldn't mind seeing Young back next season as a part of a DH platoon (maybe getting some time in the OF as well, preferably limited, though), if/when Cruz signs elsewhere. Maybe this wouldn't be enough of an upgrade with the bat to unseat Lough, though, who has a .689 and .660 OPS vs. RHP (career and 2014, respectively) and plays stellar D. Not really a proposal, just sort of thinking of potential options out loud.

I think the issue in a lot of these ideas or when trying to formulate a potential target (outside of the fact that there aren't a ton of left-handed outfield bats that mash RHP that are also available to acquire at this point) is that there is no clear axe from the roster. Delmon has been playing very well for us this season, although he and Pearce are somewhat redundant, and Lough is a decent piece with years of control remaining and no options. That's potentially what makes a 2B rental appealing in that either Flaherty or Schoop could be optioned. Same with catcher (Joseph potentially, or just drop Hundley as he is not in the plan past this season).

The Indians are looking for outfield help though and I don't see them trading one of the starting outfielders right now with Bourne still out and no timetable for a return. Delmon has not hit lefties that great this season as well and is hitting righties much better. I think there is a few guys but not a major upgrade. Some are an upgrade overy Lough with the bat but don't have his defense or speed. Then there is a few that have some speed and decent defense but not much hitting.

Ona side not I just realized we are the only team in baseball without a switch hitter.

As I look at what we need and those teams that may be in sell mode, like many, I keep coming back to Koji. Adding him to the mix for the late innings would shorten games dramatically. If the O's have a lead after six, it would be gold with Hunter, O'Day, Uehara, and Britton at the back end of the bullpen. Brach gives you some length and Matusz a situational lefty. That's a playoff bullpen.

And at 39 years old and free agency after this season, the cost should not be outrageous. Who is this year's Josh Hader, young talent available to trade?

As I look at what we need and those teams that may be in sell mode, like many, I keep coming back to Koji. Adding him to the mix for the late innings would shorten games dramatically. If the O's have a lead after six, it would be gold with Hunter, O'Day, Uehara, and Britton at the back end of the bullpen. Brach gives you some length and Matusz a situational lefty. That's a playoff bullpen.

And at 39 years old and free agency after this season, the cost should not be outrageous. Who is this year's Josh Hader, young talent available to trade?

ERod, right?

I am with the posters who don't want to trade for SP help. Its just too expensive, and I am 1000% good with Duke deciding to hold steady with our 6.

That leaves bullpen help and bats. I would be willing to move Hunter and Matusz. I know Hunter is playing well right now, but I have my doubts when the game is on the line. Matusz I have no reservations about moving.

I'm not ready to give up on Pearce just yet. Even so, I'd be satisfied with Lough/Young out there. I think catcher and potentially the bullpen are our two focal points coming into this deadline.

If possible, Kurt Suzuki and Koji Uehara would make me extremely pleased. I think that would immediately make us the AL favorites.

Suziki and Koji are EXACTLY the pieces I want as well. Neither of which should cost a great deal, but could both pay potential big dividends.

Archived