MASN: Dan Duquette Talks Trade Deadline

weams

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What would it take to get someone like Jose Altuve from the Astros? Would one of Bundy, Gausman or Harvey be required?

Just like you don't sign or extend a guy after a career year, you don't try and trade for someone who is obviously in the middle of a career season.

What would it take to get someone like Jose Altuve from the Astros? Would one of Bundy, Gausman or Harvey be required?

Outside of an insane offer, he's unobtainable. He's 24, excellent, and a big part of Houston's rebuild.

I don't know about standing dead pat. I wouldn't mind a tweak or two.

Who do you think fleeced Dan?

I assume the Feldman trade? Bad luck with Arrieta on that one. I don't think even Jake dreamed he'd have a year like this.

K-Rod didn't work out. Delmonico is putting up .700 OPS at A+ ball as a 21 year old. I liked him as a draft pick but meh.

I thought Norris was fair deal. Both teams got quality. I expect Norris to be good in the second half and will help us win the division. Hard to argue with that emphasis for a team that is trying to win now.

I'm torn about the plan for the deadline. I am usually a "go for it in your window" kind of guy, but Gausman is pretty much off limits now and I'd hate to lose Bundy or Harvey. What's left is not enough to get a major piece, so I'm all for tweaking, and if we can tweak by eating bigger contracts I'd prefer that to better prospects.

They have called another young 2B. I agree the cost would be steep. But I'd part with one of the big 3.

The cost would be untenable, especially if you think Schoop will grow into the position next year.

I like Altuve. He hit at every MiL level, and he's continued to hit in the majors (though I do think he's playing over his head this year). But the facts are that he's young, extremely cheap, productive, and popular in Houston, which is why the Astros won't deal him for anything you'd be able to stomach.

That's because the trade deadline is not about getting good value when you're a buyer. The GMs know very well they are very likely giving up more long term value then they will ever receive in the short term, but they are willing to make that sacrifice to try to win in that year. Expecting to add major pieces as a buyer for fair value isn't being realistic at the deadline.

Exactly my point. I prefer to minimize the amount of deals we make where we know we are getting less value than what we are giving up, which of course isn't something you make a habit of if you want to have a sustainable winner in a small-ish market club like ours. Last season's dealings was enough for two contending/"buyers" seasons for me. In an ideal world I'd have us making rather outside the box moves that can potentially help us for next season (where things are going to be difficult, with the situations of Hardy, Cruz, Davis, Markakis) without hurting us this season.

When we already have 6 it makes more sense. Buck's having trouble juggling 6 and 7 would be even worse. Kennedy could be an upgrade... or not. It's a dice roll for sure. But for Gonz or Bud + it might be worth it. The rumors make it sound like Dan is intrigued. Kennedy is like that just below top tier option.

And overall that's what I expect. Second tier moves. Protect the CORE core but still add value to the ML team. Some might poo poo that but we're NOT getting Price or Sale or probably not even Lee. I tend to agree. I think we need some smart tweaks, not a game changer.

I agree with this. Like I said I'm a bit intrigued by Kennedy. I trust Dan and his scouts evaluation of Kennedy's much more than my lamen's take, so I'll let him decide if he feels he's a genuine upgrade on Norris or Miguel, but yeah, I'd be totally okay with a trade for him as long as Norris or Miguel is one of the main pieces going Colorado's way (because as you say we just can't be adding a 7th starter...) and we're not giving up one of our premium prospects (Bundy, Harvey).

Archived